• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eiichiro Oda: One Piece Manga Will Enter Wano Arc in 1-2 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Wait, how long is he going to continue the whole cake island arc? and does he have like another arc planned after it? cause I thought that after this they were heading straight to wano:?
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Ooo looks like we are in for the long run before we see Kaido enter the frey.

Looking forwrd to that ace story tho
xMemorie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Wait, how long is he going to continue the whole cake island arc? and does he have like another arc planned after it? cause I thought that after this they were heading straight to wano:?

After Whole Cake Island comes the Reverie arc.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hey remember how they said that we're gonna get Wano in 2017? Yeah that was a bunch of BS xP
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, I thought the Whole Cake Island story was reaching its climax, and I figured it'd end in a few months. It's going to be another one to two years? What's going to happen after this? Is it succumbing to the same ending fatigue as Dressrosa?

xMemorie wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Is that true? Nothing in the story suggests that, as Reverie stuff has been placed in between arcs for some time now. Bits of preparation were shown before the past thee arcs and on the chapter title pages, and the current ones show Sai and Boo up to something totally unrelated to Reverie.

SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Hey remember how they said that we're gonna get Wano in 2017? Yeah that was a bunch of BS xP

Yeah, Oda has a tendency to spontaneously come up with more ideas and put them into the arc he's at. His editors have to constantly restrain him and get him back on focus, sometimes suggesting he put them in later. When they went easy on him was when we had the 100-chapter Dressrosa story. (Well, that's what I theorize anyway, as when that story began was when the editors got shuffled around and Oda got a relative newcomer to the editor game.)
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Man this going to be long, but I hope we get to the Reverie Arc soon.
diefty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wait a minute, I thought the Whole Cake Island story was reaching its climax, and I figured it'd end in a few months. It's going to be another one to two years? What's going to happen after this? Is it succumbing to the same ending fatigue as Dressrosa?

xMemorie wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Is that true? Nothing in the story suggests that, as Reverie stuff has been placed in between arcs for some time now. Bits of preparation were shown before the past thee arcs and on the chapter title pages, and the current ones show Sai and Boo up to something totally unrelated to Reverie.

SpaceTheGamer wrote:

Yeah, Oda has a tendency to spontaneously come up with more ideas and put them into the arc he's at. His editors have to constantly restrain him and get him back on focus, sometimes suggesting he put them in later. When they went easy on him was when we had the 100-chapter Dressrosa story. (Well, that's what I theorize anyway, as when that story began was when the editors got shuffled around and Oda got a relative newcomer to the editor game.)

The Reverie thing was also mentioned by one of the editors. Also it makes sense story-wise, before Whole Cake we saw many of the Island leaders getting ready to go, or already sailing, to Reverie so it only makes sense that by the time Whole Cake is over they will already be there.

Personally i think we will also have a smaller arc (maybe before both Reverie and Wano) dealing with Edward Weevil Whitebeard Jr., the newest Shichibukai who is taking down the remnants of the Whitebeard Pirates, and Marco and those remnants that Nekomamushi set to recruit at the end of Zou for the fight in Wano. If another Shichibukai is beaten it will add to the conversation at Reverie about abolishing the Shichibukai system as Fujitora wanted.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Reverie? Watching the show raw, I'd assumed it was Reveille. Oh, the L's and the R's...
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

that's always the problem with authors and some editors. they have a nasty habit of overuling the authors when they have ideas for an arc, but it ends up being scrapped so that story will either end in a movie or in those "so called filler arcs"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
The Reverie thing was also mentioned by one of the editors. Also it makes sense story-wise, before Whole Cake we saw many of the Island leaders getting ready to go, or already sailing, to Reverie so it only makes sense that by the time Whole Cake is over they will already be there.

Personally i think we will also have a smaller arc (maybe before both Reverie and Wano) dealing with Edward Weevil Whitebeard Jr., the newest Shichibukai who is taking down the remnants of the Whitebeard Pirates, and Marco and those remnants that Nekomamushi set to recruit at the end of Zou for the fight in Wano. If another Shichibukai is beaten it will add to the conversation at Reverie about abolishing the Shichibukai system as Fujitora wanted.

Huh. I wouldn't expect there to be enough time over the duration of the Whole Cake Island story, unless the bits about Reverie between arcs was somewhat earlier in time. It took Germa 66 about two weeks, I think it was, just to cross the Red Line. Since Mariejois is on top of the Red Line itself, that'd give one week minimum for other countries to travel there (unless the World Government has a faster means of getting people up there). Less than one week has passed between when the Straw Hat Pirates arrived on Whole Cake Island and right now.

That being said, travel in the One Piece world seems to be something like in an RPG: The characters you follow always struggle to get anywhere or do anything, but everyone else can travel around freely without issue.

jr240483 wrote:
that's always the problem with authors and some editors. they have a nasty habit of overuling the authors when they have ideas for an arc, but it ends up being scrapped so that story will either end in a movie or in those "so called filler arcs"

Most of the One Piece fans consider it a good thing that the editors have done what they have, considering the series is already tremendously long as it is, and because of the chapter title pages, there are usually two stories going on at once. Ask people who went through the Dressrosa arc and the consensus will be that it was much too long. Oda got carried away with idea after idea that led to the plot completely stalling.

Without those editors, every arc in One Piece would be just as long, if not longer than that. After 20 years, we'd still be in maybe the Skypeia arc or the Water Seven arc, and Oda would die of old age before the series would ever finish. Then again, the following arc, the Zou arc, was literally a quarter of Dressrosa's length and was much better received, so it's quite possible Oda found out people thought the story was too long and acknowledged it.
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
"1-2 years" means another full arc before Wano.
I remember the titles of the 3 notebooks in some picture of Oda's workplace : they were All Cake Island, Wano and... Dragon !
A Reverie/Dragon arc would be sooo good.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, we're going to get there anyway. This is OP after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1