• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - First Love Monster

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Lol in all honesty, I 100% hated this series.....mostly because the humor was so immature. But kids looking like adults is a huge pet peeve of mine and this took it up to 11.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
I remember just watching the first episode of First Love Monster, and by the end of it I could tell it was not my thing.

It's pretty obvious the premise is uncomfortable, it's about a girl who falls in love with a guy who just happens to actually be a 5th grade kid... what!? I mean there's no way this pretty boy is a 5th grader, he's like 7 feet tall (if I remember correctly)! I mean I guess that was intentional since they have addressed it several times but somehow that still doesn't excuse the fact that it's unrealistic.

To make things worse, there's THREE kids who look like grown ass men (including the male lead). But this is the part where I REALLY drew the line... one of them said used the word "weiner" SEVERAL TIMES as well as dig his hand down his pants where you hear a sloshing sound... THAT is f***king DISGUSTING!!!

And if your first impression was barely surviving the first episode, that's a bad sign!

I can see why this anime has made it into people's "Worst anime of the year" radar.

Last edited by NCfanboy1 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol in all honesty, I 100% hated this series.....mostly because the humor was so immature. But kids looking like adults is a huge pet peeve of mine and this took it up to 11.

I KNOW RIGHT!?

Who in their ripe mind would think THIS is a good idea for an anime!?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I am shocked beyond belief that XechS is getting a bluray release, and the only reason i can think of for it is that Funimation was contractually obligated to. Watching the first episode of this with my watch group years ago was a transcendent experience. The first episode (meant to sell an audience on a show) was the first time i've seen an anime where absolutely no one on any level of production cared in the slightest about the product. It's amazing how boring they managed to make a can't-miss premise (boy band + sentai action), packaged in drab, dull colors and minimum-effort story.

At least Handshakers had a (strange, aggressively unappealing, so-bad-it's-good) creative vision; XechS is just a bunch of nothing. I'm morbidly fascinated to see what the dub for this will be like.

i wouldn't say that. sure hand shakers had its flaws just like with endride , chaos dragon and divine gate, but it definitely had its moments and it definitely was a rental shelf for sure along with the other three. at least their far more entertaining than say scum's wish or NTR Trap which are easily automatically should belong in the perishable bin ten times over.

getchman wrote:
They released it without a dub

which is the shocking thing that they gave this mecha a sub only release just like with buddy complex. so much for that other user in another thread saying that "funi dubs everything!" like if their section 23/sentai filmworks.

as for first love monster, i definitely would NOT call it perishable by far.

heavily flawed??? yes. but not enough to warrant the perishable category.

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

I KNOW RIGHT!?

Who in their ripe mind would think THIS is a good idea for an anime!?

Me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:

To make things worse, there's THREE kids who look like grown ass men (including the male lead). But this is the part where I REALLY drew the line... one of them said used the word "weiner" SEVERAL TIMES as well as dig his hand down his pants where you hear a sloshing sound... THAT is f***king DISGUSTING!!!

Yeah, exactly. It's in really bad taste and too childish to be funny and this is coming from someone who watches Family Guy on a regular basis so you know that's saying something. Anime hyper

....course even that show knows how to "funny" without constant d*ck jokes. It's a much smarter show.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Full heads-up: Cinderella Boy is very, very bad, but in the way that it's worth going through to laugh at the baffling production choices and strange premise. It's a fun, terrible watch.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
NCfanboy1 wrote:

Yeah, exactly. It's in really bad taste and too childish to be funny and this is coming from someone who watches Family Guy on a regular basis so you know that's saying something. Anime hyper

....course even that show knows how to "funny" without constant d*ck jokes. It's a much smarter show.

At least Family Guy and South Park LOOKED like they would be crude and vulgar. This show looks like something out of the bishōnen genre to get girls (and possibly gay boys) to swoon, and that only makes the gross-out in First Love Monster even MORE out of place!
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
^What if you're actually there for the girl?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2