• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Responds to Azur Lane Game Controversy Linking Feminism to 'Antisocial Groups'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying it isn't true, but I can't find what she posted and thus can't be sure that it was from that extreme organization. But regardless, I do agree that they gave her the wrong wording to say. But forcing someone to say something is awful anyway. They should've specified for her to denounce the extremists, but not the idea itself.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
An artist being censored for their political views, you say? I sure hope that gamers will rise up to defend them! (They won't.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Defend in what form? What the artist not compensated by X.D. Global for her drawing? If she has a contract and has not received her due amount then there would be trouble as a breach-of-contract. As far as I can tell though the artist was asked to draw something, was paid for that drawing, the drawing was used for the game, then after some user complaints the drawing was taken down. The company has every right to do that. They are not obligated to display the drawing, especially if there were user complaints surrounding it.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
That's right. But usually when a project drops somebody for something they did in their personal life, there's a lot of sentiment about how it's persecution of some kind (i.e. JonTron being dropped from Yooka-Laylee) when really, it's just people who agree with the person in question who are upset about it (whether understandably or not).

I would like to live in a world where people are more honest about their motivations instead of hiding them behind some kind of faux-neutrality.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Learning about this Megalia group from this thread that does put some light into the reasons the artist receive those complaints. Given the information it seems that whatever post Megalia shared the artist was in agreement with it (I am guessing it must had been some general feminism fact that was harmless), but was not aware that the post itself was from a toxic group. Again this is just conjecture on my part.

Chrono1000 wrote:
The company asked her to post: "I have no relation to Megalia whatsoever, and I do not support Feminism." They might have gone a bit far with the second part but it sounds like it was mainly about Megalia.

Kougeru wrote:
But regardless, I do agree that they gave her the wrong wording to say. But forcing someone to say something is awful anyway. They should've specified for her to denounce the extremists, but not the idea itself.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It would have been better if they had just simply told her to state that she was not affiliated with this group and leave it at that. However there is a possibility they associate feminism with this group which would be unfortunate if that is the case as feminism in and of itself is not bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder if this will effect Nardack's other works. Recently a character she designed was added in the Madoka Magica Magia Record game (Ami Ria) & does the cover illustrations for a Japanese print of The Chronicles of Narnia, so if this escalates I wonder if those will have to be pulled/discontinued. (I recently just started to follow her art blog on tumblr, it's nice stuff)

Hopefully the Megalia thing is just a misunderstanding...
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I just wonder if this will effect Nardack's other works. Recently a character she designed was added in the Madoka Magica Magia Record game (Ami Ria) & does the cover illustrations for a Japanese print of The Chronicles of Narnia, so if this escalates I wonder if those will have to be pulled/discontinued. (I recently just started to follow her art blog on tumblr, it's nice stuff)

I hope so as well. It would be sad if the projects she was involve in are affected by this situation. That and from finding her art blog (as well as twitter), I do agree that she a phenomenal artist. Her illustrations are beautiful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
That's right. But usually when a project drops somebody for something they did in their personal life, there's a lot of sentiment about how it's persecution of some kind (i.e. JonTron being dropped from Yooka-Laylee) when really, it's just people who agree with the person in question who are upset about it (whether understandably or not).

I would like to live in a world where people are more honest about their motivations instead of hiding them behind some kind of faux-neutrality.

I'm of the opinion that in both cases, the company had the right to remove material. It's just that in the JonTron case and this case, the people calling for removal comes from different places. In the JonTron case, it's the company executives who did it without any prompting from their potential customers. In this case, the company was listening to its customers and removed the art as a result. The former is bound to cause more controversy among potential customers because they didn't really ask for it as far as I know. The latter, despite seeming similar at first glace, is arguably simply "good customer service" for better or for worse. I personally think that people boycotting just because of one liked tweet are silly, but it's their right to choose who to give money to.

One other key difference between the two incidents is that Jontron happened to apologize while this artist did not as far as I know. Note that this incident likely wouldn't have escalated if the artist apologized while the Jontron situation escalated despite his apology.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Wow... One out of two things happened here:

1 - Despite the fact that the word feminism refers to a movement for women's rights, several segments of that movement became toxic in various forms, and those toxic forms of feminism (radical feminism) are the ones with most publicity. Since then, for the untrained, the word feminist means man-hating. Under that optic, being a feminist means being anti-social, and thus this...

or

2 - These people are the same kind of people that started Gamergate, and even your most correct form of feminism will be deemmed man-hating, and thus this.

It's one of these two, really.

Well said.

I'm glad she refused to parrot their own rhetoric and instead spoke out against such blatant censorship.
tsog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Let me first clarify that I can't read Korean so I can't confirm this first hand.

The issue seems to be that she retweeted a statement put out by a labor union: https://twitter.com/DBH_News/status/990850631886925824

This statement by the labor union included a line stating: "There is no feminist that is not Megalia". Whether or not Nardack retweeted the statement because she agreed with the parts of the statement dealing with Megalia, I do not know.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

This is mostly just korean only matters, probably won't affect her Japanese works.

Korean male gamers are just THAT militant against anything remotely related to feminism (including actual feminism) half due to Megalia and half due to the usual "culture" stuff.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
No more Gamergate discussion or mentions. This thread already started off bad enough without treading back into those waters. Any posts that bring it up moving forward will be removed in their entirety. No exceptions.

As for the actual article my opinion is that once again bored idiots find something to make a big deal about on twitter. Twitter has become the angry nerd rage platform of choice where even the slightest retweet or like can start an intergalactic troll war over nothing. There's always a hidden agenda to be found under every rock apparently. More often then not it's like trying to find hidden meaning in a Jerry Springer episode. There's more meaning at the bottom of a toilet at a Chipotle at the end of the day.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

This is mostly just korean only matters, probably won't affect her Japanese works.

Korean male gamers are just THAT militant against anything remotely related to feminism (including actual feminism) half due to Megalia and half due to the usual "culture" stuff.

I've kind of heard about this. Wasn't there also a controversy/stir about a girl from one of the kpop groups that posted something about reading a feminist book, and she got attacked online? I think there was something more to it, but I can't entirely remember.

I used to follow Nardack, but just stopped after a while. What's funny to me is that in the West, people assume feminists hate sexy/sexualized female characters, so conflating Nardack with feminism would be a stretch (but they still manage it, on top of being wrong about the sex part usually). I wonder if this is another stretch/reach, or that's not a common assumption for anti-feminists in other places of the world.

I'm glad Nardack stuck up for herself though, and I hope things are resolved in her favor. Also agreed with above points about the irony and hypocrisy that gamers aren't going to stand up for her. Pretty transparent.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Also modern Feminism suffers from what I see as two flaws. Impatience, and a lack of measurable goals. The trend towards equality has marched their way for decades without slowing down. What is the victory condition when the soldiers for equality can put down their bayonets and go home?

The problem isn't a lack of measurable goals, it's an overabundance of them, and there's no one item that ultimately has everything else as a prerequisite. When women are no worse off than man in any way, when there is no opportunity men have that women don't, that's when the fight can be declared over.
H. Guderian wrote:
Equality under the law? Got it. Equal pay? Against the law to not do so. If you're being paid differently for the same work, that's already illegal.

Not everywhere, and even in the places where it's true on paper, in practice those inequalities are still there. There remain plenty of laws that on the surface seem equal, but on further investigation actually favour men, to say nothing of biased enforcement of them by police and biased interpretation/application of them by the legal system. The idea that there is no gender pay gap because it's illegal is laughable; employers continue to use any excuse available to them to pay their employees as little as they can, whether it's legal not, and women still cop it worse than men there.
H. Guderian wrote:
50/50 gender spread across formerly male professions, what about female dominated professions?

It isn't feminism's job to fight on behalf of men wanting to go into nursing, or whatever other female-dominated fields actually exist. By and large, feminists (and women in general) are fine with the idea of men doing those jobs if they want to. Frankly there's more men than women who object to men doing "women's work", so the problem is still ultimately more getting men to stop being pricks about it than anything else.

I've worked in male-dominated workplaces in a male-dominated sector, and female-dominated workplaces in a female-dominated sector. The women were a lot more accepting of a bloke like me in the workplace than I've seen men being of women in the workplace. There are a handful of very specific ways that women have things better than men, but to this day they're still massively overshadowed by all the ways men have things better than women, and anyone who wants to use them as reasons for why feminism is either unnecessary or should be fought back against needs to go and do things to themselves that aren't appropriate to mention on a polite forum such as this.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
I never heard of Megalia, so I looked it up onWikipedia. It seems it was created to satirize and parody extreme misogyny found on websites, the hate against women one can find on 2chan, 4chan, pick-up-artist sites and self described incel communities. Hate that breeds terrorism. Megalia doesn't breed terrorism, they raise money for anti-discrimination lawsuits.
According to the BBC, when a voice actress for a popular South Korean video game was seen wearing a t-shirt Megalia sold to raise money for (IMHO) a good cause, her voice was pulled from the game. WTF?!

Honestly, Megalia sounds awesome. Crude, certainly, but in a way that dishes back what is usually dished out to women online indiscriminately, and often with little consequences for people dishing out that hate. If South Korean creative artists are at risk of losing their jobs for supporting Megalia or even "liking" anything mentioning Megalia, I support them. Unless some Megalia inspired terrorist goes on a violent spree cutting off men's penises. That might give me pause. Call me when that happens, ok?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5