• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Films Bring Back Original Sailor Moon Character Designer Kazuko Tadano

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Very good news! She was one of the best character designers (if not the best) of the first two seasons.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Yesss this is excellent news.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, it's good to have Tadano back. Crystal's character designs while improved for Season 3 still have nothing on the original 90s anime ones. On the other... well it's still not going in any way to improve the writing of Takeuchi's rough draft of a manga that they are straight up adapting.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
On the other... well it's still not going in any way to improve the writing of Takeuchi's rough draft of a manga that they are straight up adapting.

Except the writing in Crystal thus far has been great because it's directly adapting the manga, which has much more story focus and better characterization (imo) than the 90s anime, which had to change a lot of details and add countless incidental stories in order to accommodate being a weekly serial TV series.

Regardless of which version of the story you prefer, calling the original manga a "rough draft" feels kind of rude to the author...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel so torn about this choice. I’ve met Tadano. She’s awesome and I’m a fan of hers. I don’t particularly like her character designs when compared to Ikuko Ito. I don’t know if she’s still active but I would have very much have wanted her back. I also really liked Takahashi’s work in the third season of Crystal. I’m super happy for Tadano about this new role for her and wish her the best, though I’m not quite sure her style will adapt well to the manga-sequel style that Crystal attempts to imitate.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't help but think that the reason they decided to do this is because of Dragon Ball Super, or rather, return of certain Dragon Ball Z character designer (forgot his name) in it, who was praised for bringing back detailed 90s style combined with current animation.
Just on reddit fans were happy for this.

As for these upcoming Crystal movies, I still didn't see anything beyond first three episodes, so I can't say anything, although I did see some screenshots, I think all reboot designs are nice, first for closely looking like original Takeuchi's art style, and second, which I prefer a little more, for having that beautiful Precure look, which is perfect for maho shojo genre.

About 90s anime character designers, while it is nice to bring back someone who worked at the very beginning, I do like Ikuko Ito's style more, it just looked 90s at their most beautiful.

I really need to make big marathon of Sailor Moon anime.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I would have also preferred Ikuko Ito, but I'm still happy with this choice. I'm pleasantly surprised they're bringing back a 90s anime staff member, instead of giving us another Precure alum.

Zeino wrote:
On the other... well it's still not going in any way to improve the writing of Takeuchi's rough draft of a manga that they are straight up adapting.

At least the Dream arc is widely considered the best arc of the entire manga. It's one time them sticking faithfully to it won't be such a bad thing.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Zeino wrote:

At least the Dream arc is widely considered the best arc of the entire manga. It's one time them sticking faithfully to it won't be such a bad thing.

Well personally speaking, I found the manga Dream arc to be deeply boring. While SuperS had it's flaws, it also had lots of Ikuhara's directorial flair. Tons of great humor and The Dead Moon Circus having actual personalities there. That is more than worth the loss of the Outers and slow pacing.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I personally also prefer Ikuko Itoh, but I think it is possible for a character designer to draw characters for different shows. Ikuko Itoh's style is both similar but different between her Sailor Moon work and Princess Tutu. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the character designs.

As for the story telling in the manga, I agree that the plot could be better written at times and there are a lot of holes and inconsistency. Part of that is because when Sailor Moon began serialization no one, including Naoko Takekuchi herself, thought the story was going to advance beyond the Dark Kingdom arc (she originally wanted to kill off the senshi but Osa-P, her editer, wouldn't have it), and so the various arcs further down were not planned in advance. Takeuchi seemed to have written each new arc as she went along, either ret-coning some of the material or being purposefully vague. In terms of writting it can feel sloppy, but I want to think she did the best she could given the pressure and insistence from her publisher to continue the story.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The 90s anime also had terrible writing and plot holes, so I'm not sure why 90s anime fans act like it was a timeless masterpiece and excuse for having the same issues Naoko's manga has yet 90s anime fans hold Naoko to higher standards for some reason. I always loved the art style of the first two seasons. It had that classic early 90s shoujo feeling that I love that emphasizes softer colors but still captures Naoko's elegant art style and Naoko herself had always praised Tadano's art style. Tadano's character design work in Wedding Peach is also very beautiful. In regards to the supposed issues with Naoko's writing, I feel like the movie format might actually benefit the faster paced writing of the manga better than a weekly TV format and I always felt like Crystal should have been a Digimon Tri OVA style of adaptation.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The 90s anime also had terrible writing and plot holes, so I'm not sure why 90s anime fans act like it was a timeless masterpiece and excuse for having the same issues Naoko's manga has yet 90s anime fans hold Naoko to higher standards for some reason.

Subjective opinion that is not fact and should not be treated as such. But ask for why... Because it more or less is the origin of all modern magical girl series. Because it is what made the franchise popular and remembered while the manga was only supposed to last one arc and would have most likely been forgotten in time. Because it lunched the career of two of the best directors in all of the anime medium. Because it has lots of charm and heart and humor that the manga lacks.

And yes, Naoko should be held to a higher stranded when she does things like take the Black Lady subplot of the Black Moon arc down creepy parental incest which The R anime thankfully drops or have her lesbian sailor couple only exist as plot devices and romantic obstacle for Usagi and Mamoru in the Infinity arc while Ikuhara makes them into well-rounded characters with an healthy relationship as an exemplary LGBT representation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Subjective opinion that is not fact and should not be treated as such. But ask for why... Because it more or less is the origin of all modern magical girl series. Because it is what made the franchise popular and remembered while the manga was only supposed to last one arc and would have most likely been forgotten in time. Because it lunched the career of two of the best directors in all of the anime medium. Because it has lots of charm and heart and humor that the manga lacks.
Praising Sailor Moon for launching the career of privileged men who likely would have found another way to become famous while denigrating the actual female creator of the story is the kind of elitism that's the reason Sailor Moon fandom has a negative reputation and I'm not going to take part in it.

Quote:
And yes, Naoko should be held to a higher stranded when she does things like take the Black Lady subplot of the Black Moon arc down creepy parental incest which The R anime thankfully drops or have her lesbian sailor couple only exist as plot devices and romantic obstacle for Usagi and Mamoru in the Infinity arc while Ikuhara makes them into well-rounded characters with an healthy relationship as an exemplary LGBT representation.
You're exposing your biases if you're nitpicking apart the manga for problematic content while ignoring all the sexist humor and fat shaming jokes of the 90s anime and how the 90s anime aged up Mamoru and made him more abusive to Usagi or how Seiya in the 90s anime persistently pursued Usagi even after she repeatedly tells Seiya no and that she has a boyfriend already. Or how the 90s anime makes the Sailor Guardians caricatures of teenage girls by making them talk about nothing but boys all the time and downplays Usagi's sexual fluidity. Or maybe Sailor Moon is a 25 year old story and should be approached as such in both versions instead of trying to force modern politics onto the narrative.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Well personally speaking, I found the manga Dream arc to be deeply boring. While SuperS had it's flaws, it also had lots of Ikuhara's directorial flair. Tons of great humor and The Dead Moon Circus having actual personalities there. That is more than worth the loss of the Outers and slow pacing.

I agree about SuperS being great and underappreciated, but I still enjoyed the manga incarnation too. But to each their own.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Can't help but think that the reason they decided to do this is because of Dragon Ball Super, or rather, return of certain Dragon Ball Z character designer (forgot his name) in it, who was praised for bringing back detailed 90s style combined with current animation.
Just on reddit fans were happy for this.

You mean Shintani with the new movie? That's completely different from this since in that case, Yamamuro is busy with the Dragon Ball Heroes ONA and he can stay there for all I care because Resurrection F had so many problems under him that bringing him back in the same roles for this new film would have killed a lot of it's hype.

Zeino wrote:

Three directors, while Sailor Stars was debatable in quality (I personally hated the final arc in anime and manga but I know others who loved it), Takuya Igarashi had done better work while at Toei & later at Bones.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The pandering to Classic is really going strong. I thought after hitting S3 and even infiltrating Myu, it would die down. This isn't bad, but I was hoping Crystal and basically all of the new projects would stay more fresh than this. I was hoping we'd get something more to do with PGSM, but at this rate, they'd just redo it as Classic 2.0. :/

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Praising Sailor Moon for launching the career of privileged men who likely would have found another way to become famous while denigrating the actual female creator of the story is the kind of elitism that's the reason Sailor Moon fandom has a negative reputation and I'm not going to take part in it.

Quote:
You're exposing your biases if you're nitpicking apart the manga for problematic content while ignoring all the sexist humor and fat shaming jokes of the 90s anime and how the 90s anime aged up Mamoru and made him more abusive to Usagi or how Seiya in the 90s anime persistently pursued Usagi even after she repeatedly tells Seiya no and that she has a boyfriend already. Or how the 90s anime makes the Sailor Guardians caricatures of teenage girls by making them talk about nothing but boys all the time and downplays Usagi's sexual fluidity. Or maybe Sailor Moon is a 25 year old story and should be approached as such in both versions instead of trying to force modern politics onto the narrative.

Thank you so much for this. It's baffling but also tiring how Classic/90s fans always praise the anime for any and everything, and yet largely ignore its issues. (Sometimes very big issues.)

It's also really frustrating that there's plenty of imperfect things with Classic in terms of a majority male creative team and their handling of these young, female characters. But everyone just props them up so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3