• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Battle For (and Against) 'Bowsette' Legitimacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:58 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Quote:
One Twitter user, inspired by Peachette from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe...

Toadette*

Peachette is Toadette in Peach's form. That's why someone asked, "If it happened to Toadette, why not Bowser?"

You're right. My mistake and misunderstanding.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:28 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
- The fanart thing isn't precisely a legal issue between the mangaka and the thing they want to do a fanart of, it's that fans might think of the mangaka's social media pages as official publications of the series. It's that, a large group of fans sort of see a manga artist's page as "official", even if it's not.

The mangaka of Black Butler, Yana Toboso, does a ton of fanart, and even contributed to the official anthologies for Touken Ranbu and Valvrave, even though established artists don't do that so often (I think?). But she probably has to at least get her editor's approval before doing it, she can probably only post things that her publisher (SquareEnix) has a good relationship with, or ones that her editor and the rest of GFantasy's staff feel would fit well, or something.

. . . . . the real issue, though? They should make a sexy boy meme. It shouldn't always be sexy girls... or, someone should do a fanart of a character like Nagisa from Free! in a sort-of Bowsette-cosplay, to even out the meme.

Thanks for the input! If that’s the case, then that makes more sense why mangaka would be more cautious about fanart of certain things. It would definitely suck if some fans went too far and think their fave mangaka’s fanart is suddenly “official” :/

It also makes more sense with Bowsette since her and every other character associated with the meme are all up to interpretation when it comes to appearance and behavior. I was confused af first cause I’ve seen mangaka like Horikoshi make tons of fanart for other franchises so Mishima’s tweet made me wonder how fanart is viewed in Japan ^^;;

And I’ve seen male genderbents of Bowsette and the like from a few yaoi artists (a genderbent of a genderbent. The meme keeps getting deeper.) So the meme starting to even out, if that counts OvO;;
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
I think Mashima is specifically referring to artists under contract or employed by a company, rather than amateur or independent artists. Beyond the legal grey area that "fan"art exists in, contracts usually involve some restrictions on your ability to work with rival companies - & fanart is, if nothing else, promotional work for a product. It's not a good look if, as a hypothetical example, a Marvel contracted illustrator starts pumping out Batman artwork to get in on a meme.

(I put "fan" in quotations because, like many popular memes, Bowsette has quickly reached the point where people are pitching in not (just) because they're fans; but because they want/need to capitalise on its popularity for their own profit. Gotta get those clicks & commissions somehow.)
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I’m curious about what Mishima said though. Do mangakas really have to be careful of what fanart they choose to make public? I can understand NSFW art, but they really need all that permission to just participate in a trend? I know Japan has different and stricter copyright laws and also putting the business’ reputation and image first amongst other things, but wow :0

It is in all likelihood an attribution issue.

Mishima currently has contractual obligations for manga creation for a particular publisher so producing material relating to another intellectual property could be seen as officially supporting it not just on behalf of the artist but also the company that particular artist is under contact of. That would not look good on behalf of the publishing company said particular artist works for. Especially with the trend in question being something that, albeit indirectly as it's not been officially acknowledged, relates to Nintendo.

Manga artists have been known to often parody one another's works and characters though, such as producing one-off art works. I'm certain they're not completely done on a whim though.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I think we can make an comparison with Broly.

Broly was always non canon and was a creation of Toei, for years the popularity of the characters rose and rose until Super Dragon Ball Heroes makes the characters more popular than he already was.

And with time somehow the fan makes Broly canon into the timeline of Dragon Ball.

And I think with social media and how fandom can react now with internet to a trend compagny will be forced to follow this trend if they want to keep a good image and not anger their fan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
There are creators and rights holders that are against fan art/fan fics of their creations. I am talking about those that hold the same level of disdain towards fan translations. I understand that their work is often part of their livelihood and that they maybe be against it from a legal standpoint. However, those creators often incorporate public domain elements. Thus, a mange about a modern-day version of Cinderella in Tokyo is essentially a fan art and fan fic of sorts. So, there is some possible hypocrisy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Mario characters were never attractive to me.

There have been some majorly realistic adult takes on Mario, Peach, and especially Bowser, mostly coming from the furry fans on the last one, obviously. Bowser is prime "big hot in charge dad guy" material to many of them. XD
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
The only real instances I know of fan work becoming real involve things like contests, at the control of the copyright holders. Kingdom Hearts had an extra boss named after a fan, Rockman Dash/Megaman Legends held contests for official mecha designs for 3 before the project was shut down, and Keroro Gunsou used OCs from an old friend of mine in its anime as a filler adversary platoon.

It's always possible that they could work something out, but not without time and legal preparation. In the first place, they may already have their own version of Bowsette all ready to go, and haven't revealed it yet.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Feitan000 wrote:
Murata deletes his fan art after Mashima's tweet

Technically Bowsette is not a Nintendo character though (yet)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2