• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angel Cop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
So the whole Holy Trinity of Suck's finally been license rescued thanks to Discotek for those digging horrible ultra-violent retro anime schlock.Laughing

But yeah, I recall hearing of the controversy regarding the anti-Semitic plot element that Angel Cop offered up as Manga Entertainment had to change that insensitive little detail for its English dub back when they released it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
So the whole Holy Trinity of Suck's finally been license rescued thanks to Discotek for those digging horrible ultra-violent retro anime schlock.Laughing

What are the other two parts of the Trinity? I'm guessing Mad Bull 34 is one.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

What are the other two parts of the Trinity? I'm guessing Mad Bull 34 is one.

You're correct. Violence Jack is the other.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
There's something I don't get. There are anime series with the Catholics secretly ploting modern day crusades with the intent to wipe out the protestants, others about the UN being an evil agency with world domination aspirations, some involve the US as an evil imperialist country while others feature conspiracies about the Japanese government and others about international businessmen wanting perpetual warfare just for profit... With all of this being merely considered "Interesting stories" and no one claiming they're actually suppose to support some sort of evil agenda but are just fiction. So why is it that when the Jews are involved it immediately becomes anti-semetic and evil? Legit question by the way, I find it strange how all conspiracies are fair game in art except for the one.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
There's something I don't get. There are anime series with the Catholics secretly ploting modern day crusades with the intent to wipe out the protestants, others about the UN being an evil agency with world domination aspirations, some involve the US as an evil imperialist country while others feature conspiracies about the Japanese government and others about international businessmen wanting perpetual warfare just for profit... With all of this being merely considered "Interesting stories" and no one claiming they're actually suppose to support some sort of evil agenda but are just fiction. So why is it that when the Jews are involved it immediately becomes anti-semetic and evil? Legit question by the way, I find it strange how all conspiracies are fair game in art except for the one.

That sort of thing confuses me too. And really, it's much broader than that. Most anime contains a lot of fantastical elements: Martial arts masters with the ability to destroy entire planets. Idol singers who turn into crime-fighting superheroines by night. All manner of magical powers, ancient loli catgirl vampires, strange religious cults, demonic armies hell-bent on world domination, all sorts of gender-swapping shenanigans, portals to alternate worlds, characters pulling 100-ton hammers out of thin air, etc. Countless characters exist who are nothing more than silly caricatures of various racist, sexist, and otherwise offensive tropes....and yet we never take any of those things very seriously. This is fiction, after all. And yet while we don't take those things seriously, suddenly this antisemitism is to be taken seriously? That seems a bit inconsistent. To me, it's just another ridiculous premise like so many others in anime, and there's a huge and important difference between fictional media like anime and real-life instances of discrimination and prejudice.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
animefanworried wrote:

That sort of thing confuses me too. And really, it's much broader than that. Most anime contains a lot of fantastical elements: Martial arts masters with the ability to destroy entire planets. Idol singers who turn into crime-fighting superheroines by night. All manner of magical powers, ancient loli catgirl vampires, strange religious cults, demonic armies hell-bent on world domination, all sorts of gender-swapping shenanigans, portals to alternate worlds, characters pulling 100-ton hammers out of thin air, etc. Countless characters exist who are nothing more than silly caricatures of various racist, sexist, and otherwise offensive tropes....and yet we never take any of those things very seriously. This is fiction, after all. And yet while we don't take those things seriously, suddenly this antisemitism is to be taken seriously? That seems a bit inconsistent. To me, it's just another ridiculous premise like so many others in anime, and there's a huge and important difference between fictional media like anime and real-life instances of discrimination and prejudice.

There are three big things:
    The Catholic Church is an institution, and one with a history of having its own military and political power at that. Jews are a people, and one with no history of having any equivalent institution. There's a pretty big difference between saying an institution does things and an ethnic group.
    Idols who turn into magical girls are generally part of a show's premise, or at least quirk of the world. Either way, it's presented as a particular part of the fiction rather than a fact of the real-world grounding.
    The slander of Jews conniving to bring down the pure common people using sinister secret control is a standard element of antisemitism, kind of like attaching animalistic attributes to blacks. There's a reason you never see the Zulu, Swahili, Tibetans, or Hispanic filling this role in narratives.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

There are three big things:
The Catholic Church is an institution, and one with a history of having its own military and political power at that. Jews are a people, and one with no history of having any equivalent institution. There's a pretty big difference between saying an institution does things and an ethnic group.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a distinction there. And even if there were, it would be irrelevant since shows like Angel Cop are clearly over-the-top fiction anyway.

Quote:
Idols who turn into magical girls are generally part of a show's premise, or at least quirk of the world. Either way, it's presented as a particular part of the fiction rather than a fact of the real-world grounding.

I see the "jews taking over the world" angle in Angel Cop to be fiction as well. It's just one of many absurd fictional points in anime, just like the list of silly things I rattled off.

Quote:
The slander of Jews conniving to bring down the pure common people using sinister secret control is a standard element of antisemitism, kind of like attaching animalistic attributes to blacks. There's a reason you never see the Zulu, Swahili, Tibetans, or Hispanic filling this role in narratives.[/list]

You're right that it's a common trope, but that's no different than a zillion other common tropes in anime which are likewise predjudical, racist, sexist, misogynistic, etc.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:

Because under the pretense of these particular conspiracy theories six million jews have been murdered. And there are still many people out there who believe them. Every time someone cries "Oh, George Soros and his minions!" what they mean is "Oh, the Jews and their minions!". There is no violent anti catholicism that Catholics have to be afraid of, but Jews are afraid of these anti-semitic conspiracy theories, for good reasons.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Martin G. wrote:

Because under the pretense of these particular conspiracy theories six million jews have been murdered. And there are still many people out there who believe them. Every time someone cries "Oh, George Soros and his minions!" what they mean is "Oh, the Jews and their minions!". There is no violent anti catholicism that Catholics have to be afraid of, but Jews are afraid of these anti-semitic conspiracy theories, for good reasons.

I think the key distinction is that anime such as Angel Cop (etc.) is fiction rather than reality.

The American KKK was very anti-Catholic, in addition to being anti-immigrant. Many "evangelical" churches, some of which have violent "militia" subgroups are as well--even today. And there was plenty of anti-Catholic violence in the not-too-distant past in the UK as well. It may not have been on the same scale as what the Nazis did, but it certainly did (and does) exist today.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

I think the key distinction is that anime such as Angel Cop (etc.) is fiction rather than reality.

A rather convenient excuse. You can say that about every kind of dangerous and/or hurtful message in a story. I'm glad that Discotek included the unaltered subtitles but I'm also glad they included bonus material that gives context to these subtitles.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Martin G. wrote:
Shiflan wrote:

A rather convenient excuse. You can say that about every kind of dangerous and/or hurtful message in a story. I'm glad that Discotek included the unaltered subtitles but I'm also glad they included bonus material that gives context to these subtitles.

I didn't intend that comment to be an "excuse". I meant it honestly. It's not just fiction, but obviously over the top fiction. Why take any of it seriously?

Anime, (as well as hollywood movies and TV) has made fun of my race, my country, and elements of my personality countless times. I don't find it offensive and it's not meant to be taken seriously.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Anime, (as well as hollywood movies and TV) has made fun of my race, my country, and elements of my personality countless times. I don't find it offensive and it's not meant to be taken seriously.

And I guess someone tried to destroy your country, exterminate your race and nearly succeeded... Not everything is for the lulz...
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Martin G. wrote:
Shiflan wrote:

And I guess someone tried to destroy your country, exterminate your race and nearly succeeded... Not everything is for the lulz...

Real-life discrimination and prejudice is no joke, and is indefensible no matter what form it takes.
I just don't see how that applies to fiction, especially over-the-top silly fiction at that. Perhaps it's some kind of a shortcoming on my part? I mean no offense, I just don't get it.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Martin G. wrote:

Real-life discrimination and prejudice is no joke, and is indefensible no matter what form it takes.
I just don't see how that applies to fiction, especially over-the-top silly fiction at that. Perhaps it's some kind of a shortcoming on my part? I mean no offense, I just don't get it.

Maybe you don't "get it" because you are not a jew nor have you a jewish family whose oldest members still recall the horror of the Third Reich?

Just food for thought....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

Maybe you don't "get it" because you are not a jew nor have you a jewish family whose oldest members still recall the horror of the Third Reich?

Just food for thought....

Possible, but I think there's more to it than that.
One of my best friends I've known for more than 30 years (and who has been my business partner for half that long) is Jewish. His parents fled persecution in Russia. He thinks Angel Cop is hilarious ever since we both saw it back in the fansub days when we were in college. When I told him that it was getting a new BD release he was excited about it, and suggested we have a viewing party. Again, I mean no offense to anyone, and I apologize wholeheartedly if my comments came across as disrespectful, but my observations tell me there must be more to it than one's heritage, and that different people react to things in different ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3