• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
People saying “No one wanted this” have clearly never followed Sentai on social media. It may not be one of their most popular series, but it’s brought up pretty frequently when people ask for dubs. It also gets mentioned here almost every time Sentai announced a dub for a series they release sub-only. Just because you didn’t want it, doesn’t mean that plenty of other people would.

It’s good to see Sentai dubbing a longer series, and I’m willing to bet the length is one of the factors that worked against it in the past. Going by their current pattern, I imagine it will be release in one large box set. Now the question is whether it will get a collector’s set, or just a regular edition. To Love Ru isn’t one of my favorite series, but I wish them luck with it.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The most positive thing I can say about Tu Love Ru is the songs were always great.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
But seriously, no one wanted this. NO ONE.
The replies to this are like something from Spartacus. I want this, I want this, i want this, I want this and so does my wife.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Call me a Green monkey's uncle they are actually dubbing this?

haha guess it was worth the wait after all, they are know to redub some of there shows from time to time so i guess it is good for the fans but i still need to say this:

Cough Cough........................ WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DUB THE FAMILIAR OF ZERO> CMON SENTAI PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sorry for being an annoying smartass but how is this a redub when there was no dub available before? xD If you said its a re-release with a dub I would agree Razz.

Im happy they are re-releasing this with a dub. hope they go all the way and dub all the seasons.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I was always surprised it was never dubbed before. On another forum in 2013 I said, "I bet on To Love-Ru next, it just seems like a harem title they'd maybe re-release on Blu-ray with dub. "
I don't know why it took so long but better late than never I guess.

Last edited by levonr on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
MesousaGaby wrote:

Get lost. I WANT this. Yes, I want this SO BAD. Particularly because I have very high hopes for Sentai to fix the horrendous Japanese voices of Rito and Ren; they deserve MALE VAs, not female VAs that can't even squeeze out a convincing male teen voice to save their lives.

Rito and Riko should be voiced by different VAs; same goes for Ren and Run.

I see no issue with the JP cast. Rito was intentionally supposed to be a feminine boy. Riko was fine. And Ren/Run obviously have their own thing going on....

I'm really baffled that they've even bothering with this. Such an old series. People mentioned their social media talks about it a lot but that's a vocal minority of a few hundred people at best.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
So can we get an SNAFU dub next? I see that as probably the most popular choice for Sentai to go back and dub.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
win! . i always wanted too pick this series up, but i only buy dubbed(mainly cause i cant read and eat at the same time Razz)
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!!! ABOUT TIME!!!!!

A hugely popular ecchi fanservice harem comedy series such as To Love-Ru is getting the treatment and recognition it deserves and an English dub I would say now is long overdue. But I'm actually NOT a fan of the first series (season) that first aired in Japan back in 2008 because of how unfaithful it felt to the original manga. For example, Rito doesn't squeeze Lala's boobs upon their first encounter and their engagement was a result of Lala's dad, Gid, King of Deviluke, eager to find a suitor for his daughter for his own selfish reasons.

On the other hand, if Sentai is able to put together an English dub and make it sell, then that will undoubtedly boost its popularity among English-speaking audiences in the US and Canada and maybe that could convince the anime producers at XEBEC to greenlight the third season of Darkness fans such as myself have waited so long for. (It would actually be better if they could just re-adapt the first manga as whole and they might have to look for a new anime studio since XEBEC is slowly going out of business.)

As for the dub, I don't really know who I would want for the voice of Rito Yuki. I suppose it would make sense to get a male voice actor but HE CAN'T SOUND TOO OLD.
Samalik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one is talking about the synopsis itself.

Someone's been having a lot of fun writing that.
WorldQuest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
...They're deliberately dubbing this to prove they're human.

Welp, it worked...

At least early To-Love-Ru is not as crappy?

Speak for yourself bruv, I WANT THIS!
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
This is actually pretty big news because I think it plays to a sort of meta narrative that Sentai still cares about ecchi fans. With all the censorship news lately especially regarding Sony that now owns Funimation (yes I know it's the film branch but still same parent company) I think this a sort of olive branch for Sentai to say you dont have to worry about this sort of news from us.

Now if they can get the OVA's and release an awesome limited collection, I will be ecstatic to double dip on the blu ray purchase.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a dub will make the first season any less boring (and a self-censored cop out), but who knows sometimes it helps.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Now if sentai can just get their hands on the OVAs
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I was always surprised it was never dubbed before. On another forum in 2013 I said, "I bet on To Love-Ru next, it just seems like a harem title they'd maybe re-release on Blu-ray with dub. "
I don't know why it took so long but better late than never I guess.

Looking at the dates of the initial release, it’s likely Sentai has recently renewed the license for this. It may have been less likely earlier when they weren’t sure if they would renew it or not. No sense in spending money to dub a show, especially 60+ episodes, when you don’t know if you will still have distribution rights in a year or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4