• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Announces New Anime Project in Gundam Build Franchise

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
SrkSano wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
Robiii wrote:
They should just rename their studio to Gundam or smth. Becuz thats all they do anyway.

I know what you mean. There was about a 4-year period where they didn't do anything but love live and Gundam. In the last year they announced a few projects, but all of them but one were part of a pre-existing highly successful IP. I guess technically Double Decker is an original project, but they still tried to bill it as part of Tiger & Bunny. For a studio that used to be known for creating original IPs, I don't think they've had one in the last five years.

ClassicaLoid. 2 seasons.

I guess technically BNP is Sunrise, but I was just referring to stuff under their actual Sunrise label.

I think a lot of the stuff that they would have done as animation a few years ago is now being done as light novels on there Yatate Bunko site. Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

Ah okay I gotcha. My understanding from a Sunrise panel at a con years ago ClassicaLoid is by a studio where they try new and different things and is a direct result of Tiger & Bunny being a surprise hit. Tiger & Bunny was a project that was done by Sunrise's B team and expected to not do as well as it did, but it outperformed things their A team was doing.

So Sunrise still doesn't really know what to even do with Tiger & Bunny's success. That's partially why Double Decker exists and there's a Hollywood movie coming out, but not much on continuing the anime. While Tiger & Bunny has fans in the West, it never reached the popularity of either One Punch Man or My Hero Academia.I think one of the reasons is Tiger & Bunny was trying to satisfy too many people - mulitcultural, different sexual orientations, boy on boy fans, Super-Hero fans - while OPM and MHA mainly scratch one itch - Super-Hero fans. Double Decker compared to Tiger & Bunny is scaled back, well at least the Super-Hero stuff is gone.

So, I think Sunrise is finding ways to try new things but like most studios these days they are throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, and not often enough.

Last edited by SrkSano on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I enjoyed the first two Build series, but never watched Divers due to the poor reviews it received. Hopefully they return to form with this next series.

Divers was so bad I had to drop it about almost halfway through. I did love SAO type immersion into a video game, but the story and characters like SAO was flat and uninteresting after a certain amount of episodes. I am hoping that this new Divers project will be better, but I'm not putting my hopes on it. I'll be watching the first few episodes anyways.

Build Fighters first season was amazing every single fight even if it wasn't life or death had me on the edge of my seat and charming memorable characters to boot with a few actual cameos of past characters.

Fighters Try I already knew the outcome before any of the battles started. The fights and Gundams themselves were not interesting which is why I gave it a lower score. I personally didn't like Try and Divers honestly.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:

Ah okay I gotcha. My understanding from a Sunrise panel at a con years ago ClassicaLoid is by a studio where they try new and different things and is a direct result of Toger & Bunny being a surprise hit. Tiger & Bunny was a project that was done by Sunrise's B team and expected to not do as well as it did, but it outperformed things their A team was doing.

It was more so that Sunrise was expecting Sacred Seven to do better than T&B, given they both came out at relatively the same time. It shockingly ended up being the complete opposite with T&B being the more successful of the two.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I enjoyed the first two Build series, but never watched Divers due to the poor reviews it received. Hopefully they return to form with this next series.

Oh don't listen to those reviews! I say go ahead and watch Build Divers.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Oh don't listen to those reviews! I say go ahead and watch Build Divers.

Trusted friends also echoed those reviews and I heard the general plot and didn't think it was worth watching.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
This article is describing Build Divers, it is not describing the newly announced addition to the franchise. Are there any details as to what this new series will be about?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
At the panel, they literally just said that they were working on a new season, and no other info was given.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
At the panel, they literally just said that they were working on a new season, and no other info was given.

So they were just reiterating what they said at the 40th anniversary panel in November. Well at least we know they're still committed to it.

If they follow the pattern it'll be a somewhat direct sequel to Build Divers like Try was a sequel to Build Fighters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2