• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Much Control Do Japanese Producers Have Over Dubs and Subtitles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Ever? That would be Khara and Anno walking away from a nice chunk of change. Really? They are going to leave money on the table and not release it outside of Japan? That doesn't seem practical or likely.
I suppose it's not entirely possible but you look at all the Netflix Original anime that they've licensed and the only one I'm aware of to get a home video release was Knights of Sidonia. Also Netflix has just as much of an investment in making money as Khara and Anno. Netflix paid a ton of money for the exclusive streaming rights and international dub rights. They want people to subscribe to their service to watch their content. Releasing a home video release would be Netflix competing against themselves and defeat their goal of getting more subscribers.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I suppose it's not entirely possible but you look at all the Netflix Original anime that they've licensed and the only one I'm aware of to get a home video release was Knights of Sidonia.

There are more titles than that, in addition to Sidonia, Ajin had both seasons and movies released by Sentai as well. There's also Blame and Castlevania by Viz, Fate/Apocrypha by Aniplex, Kuromukuro by Pony Canyon and season 1 of Seven Deadly Sins by FUNimation.

There's also Anime Limited in the UK who has B: The Beginning, Kakegurui & Violet Evergarden.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

There are more titles than that, in addition to Sidonia, Ajin had both seasons and movies released by Sentai as well. There's also Blame and Castlevania by Viz, Fate/Apocrypha by Aniplex, Kuromukuro by Pony Canyon and season 1 of Seven Deadly Sins by FUNimation.

There's also Anime Limited in the UK who has B: The Beginning, Kakegurui & Violet Evergarden.
I wasn't aware those titles were also released on BD. I hope that means Eva can get a release too but I wonder who would release it? Khara doesn't sound like they're too pleased with Funimation over the 3.33 issue and there's all their past history with ADV to look past to turn to Sentai. Maybe Viz could release Eva?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

I wasn't aware those titles were also released on BD. I hope that means Eva can get a release too but I wonder who would release it? Khara doesn't sound like they're too pleased with Funimation over the 3.33 issue and there's all their past history with ADV to look past to turn to Sentai. Maybe Viz could release Eva?

People have been speculating that Viz is most likely to get the physical release which is a shame because their blurays are generally pretty mediocre in terms of video quality, packaging and extras.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Ever? That would be Khara and Anno walking away from a nice chunk of change. Really? They are going to leave money on the table and not release it outside of Japan? That doesn't seem practical or likely.
Maybe not ever is pushing it but it wouldn't be the first time it took a LONG time for a show to get rescued for video because of a creator's stubbornness.
I was responding directly to this--that not ever is pushing it. I wasn't saying that a BD release was imminent Smile I agree it could be awhile. They could release it sooner to take advantage of the nostalgia that the Netflix streaming might create, on the other hand they might not want it to distract from when they release Eva 4.0 and therefore release it after sales of that BD which could put it then 5-7 yrs out? Who knows but they would be losing out on some money if they didn't release at all. Long is also subjective, some people have a fit if it takes 6 months after the Japanese releases to get a local release, some fidget if it takes up to 2 years. It took Funi 9 years to finally release Tatami Galaxy which they had been sitting on, which is long. How long was Legend of the Galactic heroes in limbo before Sentai got the license---pretty long time. Personally, I've got my Platinum DVD box set of NGE, so waiting another 4-7 years wont bug me.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Also Netflix has just as much of an investment in making money as Khara and Anno. Netflix paid a ton of money for the exclusive streaming rights and international dub rights. They want people to subscribe to their service to watch their content. Releasing a home video release would be Netflix competing against themselves and defeat their goal of getting more subscribers.
So I guess when Netflix released the two seasons of Stranger Things on BD and 4K that was them being weird and competing with themselves? Or maybe not everybody has Netflix and doing a physical release is also a way of promoting the streaming service? As NJ_ pointed out there have been physical releases of other stuff that Netflix carries. I would also point out that its all dependent on the contracts. Khara may require a physical release in the contract after a certain amount of time. Conversely, Netflix may demand of Khara there be no physical release until their exclusive streaming rights are up. Also Netflix may have not bid on the rights of a physical release only streaming and Khara may award the home video rights to a different distributor. The devil is in the details, many of which we are not privy to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4