• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched episode 5 yet but holy hell 4 was a disappointment. I have to wholly disagree with the notion that Omori overwrites his battle scenes because they're the best thing in the novels period and the reason I like them in the first place. Reading the novel, Ryu's charge and Mikoto's sneaking around while simultaneously casting her magic felt both very grandiose and awesome, in the anime it didn't at all. There wasn't even any fun animation to go by with these battle scenes, which can usually compensate for poor pacing like it did in most of the first season.

EDIT: episode 5 was fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
As was expected the Haruhime arc really shot up the fan service though Phryne had to ruin it all. I dont appreciate the anime skipping Haruhime's backstory as it wouldve added depth to her character and made her more into the tragic heroine she is though I understand the episode wouldnt have enough time to fit it in. Maybe itll get mentioned later on. Haruhime's backstory aside it was a good and decently paced ep and it even ended around where I expected it to.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This may be one of the more uncomfortable episodes for some viewers

WTF? This was one of the best epi of the series uahauhauhau
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Before stirring up unnecessary controversy-A little research (vol 7) would've revealed Aisha is based off her alias,Antianeira. A name which ties into the legend of the Argonauts,a lover of Hermes as well as being the name of a queen of the Amazons.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Before stirring up unnecessary controversy-A little research (vol 7) would've revealed Aisha is based off her alias,Antianeira. A name which ties into the legend of the Argonauts,a lover of Hermes as well as being the name of a queen of the Amazons.

For the last time, I've read the books. I wasn't attempting to stir up controversy, I was trying to mention something that might make some viewers uncomfortable without spoiling later reveals or plot points for those who aren't LN readers. It is still an uncomfortable nickname and the author could have easily chosen a less loaded one in the context of the character with his level of research.

EDIT: Sorry I was snippy.
AManOfCharacter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
How is her being named Aisha "loaded", exactly? I read the article, I saw the reference to Mohammed's wife. How is this necessarily problematic? What is the implication? Confession: I haven't watched the Ep yet.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
AManOfCharacter wrote:
How is her being named Aisha "loaded", exactly? I read the article, I saw the reference to Mohammed's wife. How is this necessarily problematic? What is the implication? Confession: I haven't watched the Ep yet.

It is solely problematic, because of its association with Islam. That is the only reason.

Such consideration is not given for the usage of "Mary", despite its association with Christianity.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AManOfCharacter wrote:

It is solely problematic, because of its association with Islam. That is the only reason.

Such consideration is not given for the usage of "Mary", despite its association with Christianity.

and it's not first time a character in an anime,manga,LN & video game has been named such.
AManOfCharacter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I get the Islam connection. So more specifically... is it problematic because it’s mocking Islam, which would be bad? How is it mocking Islam just by using the name? Is it mocking because it’s portraying a character with that name as a bad/gross fictional character and implying bad things about the real world person? I’m assuming bad/gross is that fictional DanMachi-Aisha is basically a sexual assailant.

Or is it problematic because it’s putting Islam in a good light and that’s bad? Is it because the history of Aisha, Mohammed’s wife, is unsavory and we don’t want to be made to think about this?

I’m not trying to be inflammatory, I’m just genuinely not getting the implication that the writer of the article had in mind, there seems to be ideas missing, or maybe it was signaled and I missed it..? Yes, mocking a people or culture is bad, but is that happening? Is so, how? Or is it being insensitive in some other specific way? How exactly?

If it’s not mocking a people or culture, what specifically is problematic about this?
bennyl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
The only way it is controversial is that Mohammed married her when she was 9 and he was 53. But the character in the show clearly isn't 9, so unless she was sold off as a sex slave at 9 and this hasn't been revealed yet, this naming has nothing to do with Islam.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:51 am Reply with quote
AManOfCharacter wrote:
I get the Islam connection. So more specifically... is it problematic because it’s mocking Islam, which would be bad? How is it mocking Islam just by using the name?-------

Only the reviewer made the connection to Islam,not the novels' or mangas' nor anime's writers.

In Damachi -and it's spinoff- Aisha is a Amazon,a minor character based on Greek mythology.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote
Entirely unrelated to this show, but I did watch a series on Neflix called "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", which had a main character named "Phryne".
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:27 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Entirely unrelated to this show, but I did watch a series on Neflix called "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", which had a main character named "Phryne".

I love that show. She's named after the courtesan, something she's not thrilled her father did. Smile

As far as the Aisha thing goes -

It bothered someone I know. I mentioned it so as not to catch other people who might find it troubling unaware. End of story.

Overly cautious? Probably. But it's not a PC thing, it's not a specific religion-pandering thing, it's just recognizing something that might bother someone who is clearly none of you. And that's okay.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Northlander wrote:

I love that show. She's named after the courtesan, something she's not thrilled her father did. Smile

As far as the Aisha thing goes -

It bothered someone I know. I mentioned it so as not to catch other people who might find it troubling unaware. End of story.

Overly cautious? Probably. But it's not a PC thing, it's not a specific religion-pandering thing, it's just recognizing something that might bother someone who is clearly none of you. And that's okay.

It bothered someone you knew, therefore it had to be on the main page's blurb... Got it. Not PC indeed.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
In a series like this, where every other name is a reference to a mythological person and can give clues to their personality/background, I can see the Aisha thing making someone uncomfortable - not that I'd ever get it myself, but then again I didn't even get the Apollo thing because I'm just not all that interested in that aspect of the worldbuilding.

As for the episode itself, wow, it was terrible. I don't think I'll ever understand how "MC screams while the camera pans up as he is being molested" is ever a staple of LN adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15