• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds 7 More Anime to Fall 2019 Simulcast Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
The remaining 10 Sherlock stories that are still copyrighted in the U.S. lapse their copyrights on 12/31/2022. After that, Sherlock will have had over 135 years of copyright in the U.K. and U.S. by that end date. While someone could legally make a Sherlock story from the public domain content, they would best to avoid putting "Sherlock" and similar terms in the story title because of trademarks. That is, unless you get a license or there is nominal fair use. Now, I don't know of any laws that bar you from putting those names in the interior of the story (the story text itself) or the story summary on the back cover page!
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
This might only be partially applicable or related to the Sherlock Holmes situation. But we might face similar things with Superman and Mickey Mouse in the near future, assuming there are no further changes to copyright and all that. If these two characters enter public domain, it's cool, right? Kinda, only their first incarnations are available for use, meaning we cannot just use Man of Steel Superman or Kingdom Hearts Mickey freely since they are newer incarnations. Then there are trademarks, but that's a different story.

Last edited by omegafinal on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
omegafinal wrote:
This might only be partially applicable or related to the Sherlock Holmes situation. But we might face similar things with Superman and Mickey Mouse in the near future, assuming there are no further changes to copyright and all that. If these two characters enter public domain, it's cool, right? Kinda, only their first incarnations that are available for use, meaning we cannot just use Man of Steel Superman or Kingdom Hearts Mickey freely since they are newer incarnations. Then there are trademarks, but that's a different story.

I wonder if the copyright law will get changed. If I'm not mistaken the last time it got changed was right before Mickey's earliest cartoons were to enter the public domain. You can bet that Disney will lobby again for an extension.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting stuff in there I'll be checking out and a bunch of returning shows I'll be back to watch.

Advent_Nebula wrote:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I'm actually excited for some of these. But still disappointed that Funimation didn't get Psycho Pass 3. Sad

I am salty that Amazon licened the third season. Getting another company to licence the home video rights is nigh impossible.

Yeah, it sucks since Funi has the rest of it and the dubs for the series have been great so after all this I don't really want to switch.

Greed1914 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with that turn of events. For a while, Sentai would release things that streamed on Amazon, but they also had some sort of arrangement that seems to have died off as soon as Amazon gave up on the Strike service.

Maybe Funimation will be motivated to pursue home video rights? It's possible those are still available since Amazon focuses on streaming.

Yeah, I hope so.

It's hard to tell what's going on since like you said Sentai was doing that (and some Netflix stuff like Sidonia and Ajin) and Funi was able to release the first season of The Seven Deadly Sins on home video but so far none of the rest has seemingly been able to come even though more of it has been on Netflix for some time now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2