• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:
However, the animation felt like it was struggling at times to keep up with the atypical amount of movement in the action scenes.

And then there was the scene of the trombe wrapping around Myne, which was stupidly fluid.

Forgot about that when I wrote the review but yeah, that scene was impressive. The dramatic inconsistencies in animation quality within this episode make me wonder if someone different was in charge of animating that scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
With season 3 as an unknown at this time, does anyone know where I should start reading the novels to pick up on the events of next week's season finale?

Thanks!

If you have the time and can afford it, I also recommend reading the first 3 volumes that make up Part 1 as well. The anime covered the major events but still skipped a lot. The series is available in ebook and paperback at the usual bookstores.
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I loved this episode. The drama and the outcome fit this series so well. My only complaint was the cliffhanger. It was so well paced that to end so fast - proving that the series is well done.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
Ferdinand putting that knight in his place was so satisfying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
how is a single man allowed to be so cool?

And how is he still single? j/k

But one does wonder why he was shipped off to the nobles' dumping grounds of the Church (if I haven't misunderstood that relationship). Looking forward to learning that story, but probably not this season.

I enjoyed the episode, but evil knight was made too cartoonish a villain. I was surprised he didn't lick his knife while threatening her.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
Even villains can be health conscious, who knows where that knife has been.
HannoX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Schicicoza was even stupider than Key pointed out in the episode review. It was kind of glossed over in the anime, but it was mentioned that their lord (the archduke) was the one who granted Myne blue robe status. So by refusing to accept her right to wear blue robes and treating her as such Schicicoza was defying the archduke's decision. That's not something a medieval ruler is going to take lightly.
Brianh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I think someone might be using Schicicoza as attack on Fedinand.
Like to bait him to protect Main. Or show the knights he favors commoner.
And Fedinand is on his guard from the beginning.

Ferdinand never tell the knights to treat Main well, but make sure she not get hurt.
And judge knight's captain failed the order too, and put Schicicoza's crime as treason, then let the lord decide the punishment later will make Schicicoza get the worst punishment among all three.
All those to serve as warning to his enemy.

And if Ferdinand just tell the knights Main gain blue robe by the lord's order at beginning, I doubt even Schicicoza will treat Main like that.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So that was an ending. Honestly wasnt sure how Ferdinand was going to react after the mind search. I honestly would have thought he would have had more questions for her. Excited to get to rewatch it as they release a dubbed episode each week now. Hopefully there will be an official announcement here soon for more content. This story has just been nothing but a breath of fresh air so far.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
^^The last frame carries the message "the story continues" so I think it safe to say that it will have an S2. The story didn't go as I thought given that Ferdinand has been given possibly irrefutable evidence of the existence of things that should shake his logical foundations relating to the whole world he knows (Op shows stars falling in the background) but at least he didn't say "burn the witch"...Also, 14:56 makes it official, the backlit figures in the Op are Urano and her mom. I'm still rooting for Lutz though...
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^^The last frame carries the message "the story continues" so I think it safe to say that it will have an S2. The story didn't go as I thought given that Ferdinand has been given possibly irrefutable evidence of the existence of things that should shake his logical foundations relating to the whole world he knows (Op shows stars falling in the background) but at least he didn't say "burn the witch"...Also, 14:56 makes it official, the backlit figures in the Op are Urano and her mom. I'm still rooting for Lutz though...

I saw the story continues thing but plenty of shows say that only to not have it. I'm hopeful but not getting my Hope's up just yet. They could just as easily be saying "go read the books"
Clematis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quote
I love this series so much, and the final episode was the best it could have been. SO. GOOD. No matter how many times I rewatch it, I cant get enough of it.

It's great to see Ferdinand's character being so well fleshed out, and I'm very curious about his reaction to Myne when she tells him how she tried her best to suppress her memories, and to the comment by the knight's order commander regarding him having taken a liking to Myne. Thoroughly looking forward to see the continuation to his and Myne's story. There better be a s3, or I'm gonna cry for real.

The mind sharing scene introduced some intimacy between the two, and the subsequent hug was just so beautiful. It felt like Myne's saying she tried her best to forget resonated with Ferdinand, so I wonder if he was just taken by surprise when learning of her inner struggles, or if he himself experienced something similar in the past.

That said, my heart sunk when Ferdinand pointed out at the commander's residence how she should be 'put to a good use', or how good a resource she would make. I hope - and hopefully I'm not wrong there - that he doesn't see her as a mere tool for his current society's advancement and revitalisation. Really didn't like hearing that from him, but I guess it makes sense to want to put her talent and mana to a good use. So long she isn't regarded only as a means to an end.

On a side note, the mana restoration ceremony was so badass, and felt so satisfying. Eat it, Schicikoza.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I saw the story continues thing but plenty of shows say that only to not have it. I'm hopeful but not getting my Hope's up just yet. They could just as easily be saying "go read the books"

Yeah, I'll definitely be Glico-running-man-praying for a continuation, but the ending definitely didn't promise one. They closed up their framing-device from the first episode and made a very "the adventure continues" sort of ending. Feels rather like how Spice and Wolf's anime ended, and we all know how that turned out. Whether this anime continues will depend mainly on how much of Benno's favorite substance it generates.

Speaking of the books, I looked it up and there's currently twenty-three volumes, with a 24th coming out in a few months, and it looks like it could easily pass 30 by the time it's finished. Yikes! Certainly no shortage of material, but if this show does get more seasons, we can expect a lot of things to get cut. So far they've only covered volumes 1-5, and I doubt anything that isn't a shonen (or Sazae-san-esque sitcom) can hit the 100+ episode mark. A fan can dream, though...
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Yeah, I'll definitely be Glico-running-man-praying for a continuation, but the ending definitely didn't promise one. They closed up their framing-device from the first episode and made a very "the adventure continues" sort of ending. Feels rather like how Spice and Wolf's anime ended, and we all know how that turned out. Whether this anime continues will depend mainly on how much of Benno's favorite substance it generates.

Speaking of the books, I looked it up and there's currently twenty-three volumes, with a 24th coming out in a few months, and it looks like it could easily pass 30 by the time it's finished. Yikes! Certainly no shortage of material, but if this show does get more seasons, we can expect a lot of things to get cut. So far they've only covered volumes 1-5, and I doubt anything that isn't a shonen (or Sazae-san-esque sitcom) can hit the 100+ episode mark. A fan can dream, though...

Sword art did pretty well for itself and shield hero is getting a second and third season. It's not outside the realm of a realistic possibility and just being a dream.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Sword art did pretty well for itself and shield hero is getting a second and third season. It's not outside the realm of a realistic possibility and just being a dream.

Both of those are shonen fantasy/adventure/battle anime (the latter might technically be seinen, not gonna look it up because I'd rather pretend it doesn't exist, but I'd classify it as "edgy shonen"). Anything outside that genre becoming a long-runner anime is extremely rare, if it's ever happened at all (there's kid shows like Doraemon and, like I said, sitcoms, but Bookworm is neither, and could fit into pretty much any demographic except shonen). Still, there's an approximately-first time for everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 26