• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Stars Align [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
I've always heard the opposite about divorce in Japan, that the non-sutodial parent usually has no rights to the child. Usually only one parent retains custody of each child, and the other has absolutely zero rights toward that child. Its not unheard of (or even uncommon?) for the other parent to never even see their child again. Maybe this has started changing recently (it would certainly be for the better, albeit not in this case), or maybe Maki's parents aren't really divorced...?

Calling the police is easier said than done. How do you think Maki's dad would react to having the police called on him? Best case scenario, he gets arrested, but what happens if he's released on bail? Or if he doesn't get arrested?

Also, I don't think Maki's mom is complacent in the abuse. Rather, I'm thinking now that she doesn't know about it. She thinks that as long as she sticks money out for Maki's dad, he's taking the money and leaving them alone. It may sound cowardly, but to her, it probably seems like the simplest solution for keeping her and Maki safe. And Maki is too ashamed to tell her what's actually happening.

I'm not saying all this to say that they shouldn't call the police. Of course they should. I'm just saying there are a a lot of valid reasons why abuse victims are afraid of turning to the police.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I've always heard the opposite about divorce in Japan, that the non-custodial parent usually has no rights to the child. Usually only one parent retains custody of each child, and the other has absolutely zero rights toward that child. Its not unheard of (or even uncommon?) for the other parent to never even see their child again.

Maki's father didn't say he had any rights over Maki. He has the right to see the family register, because his name is still in it as his father.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
I really liked how Oji joined the guys at the part, in addition to them kind of realizing Mitsue is there. The boys be welcome to their girl de facto member, and just recently kind of jerky opponent. Reminds me
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Why everyone needs to be a pain in the ass so much?
Seriously, this makes the anime feels very "forced", even more with scenes like this. Are you telling me that their coach is looking but not seeing what was happening there?

But wait, turns out they are all very good people! They just need a bit of time to offend you, try to humiliate you with their god given superiority, and assault you.
Makes this all feel very dishonest.
The way some characters, like Mitsue, actually makes and effort to be double faced is tiresome.

I'm not saying that this isn't good.
It is and I want to like it more.
It's just that the way it tries to feel "raw" and "honest" is failing to catch me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Reminds me

Of what? Don't leave us hanging like that! Wink

I had as much fun with that as Maki did. I think we might be getting closer to finding out what Mitsue's deal is, but next week looks like it's going to be more about whatever happened in Sakurai-sensei's past since he's the one who will have to answer the complaint.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Reminds me

Of what? Don't leave us hanging like that! Wink

Oh, that is embarrassing, I must have thought to write, walked away for something, and thought I should just post. I think that I was going to mention Haukyuu, my go to for favourite sports anime, where characters can be bitter rivals at one time, and then everyone is getting along, accepting, and having fun. The BBQ scene is something I especially remember fondly from Haukyuu.

My suspicion of who complained was that mother we saw a few weeks back, who seemed a little too low in drama in being accommodating to having food for her son.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
Perhaps this is a somewhat strange opinion, but to me personally this show is pretty much reminiscent of the male version of Okada's Maidens from last season. Of course, this story is not about first sexual experience, but the plot also has a great social content, showing different male (and female) teenage experiences, also including the gay one.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, in the end I have to say that the tone is very consistent, right?
A sane moment followed by an insane moment.
Consistent like a pendulum.

I like this anime, but I wanted to like it more, without being annoyed every five minutes. It's good, it's trying to do a lot of good things in his short length, it's for now succeeding, but unfortunately there's this craziness about the characters. First appearances for two of the mothers and both in their first appearance behave in the most assine way possible. I really need to ask, was necessary? Was really necessary be so in the nose? Maybe it's a stylistic choice, for example they want us to feel like middle schoolers, like the world is against us and our parents are only there to make things worse and more painful. Maybe that's the point?

Anyway, Mitsue finally showed why her character exists.
Like another one had done in a previous episode she walked up to the teacher and explained herself and the overall theme.
Interesting, but I can't let it pass without saying that the scene were her and the other two were spying of the rival school was "bad". Bad in the sense that they just watched some 30 seconds because Mitsue was starting a fight with the other girls there. A fight without reason. Some my say that those girls were justified to almost hit her because her behavior was inexcusable. And to make things worse all the boys praised her (because SHE was bullied?!) enabling her bad behavior.
I couldn't help but notice this and disapprove.
They try to justify but what she did was wrong. Confused

I really feel that this anime isn't more subtly with all this aggressiveness because how it's trying hard to check all the boxes!
How old is is Maki again? They made it that he was talking from experience with Yu during that whole conversation, and have experience and contact with "that" really helps against general ignorance. But that "you're suffering" to Mitsue in the end, and the other two commenting that "he just feels thing" and "an see, he is like that", it's risking to make Maki feel like a "Gary Stu".

Hate it or love it at least it's one of those anime that gives us a lot to talk about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My thought in episode 4 was along the lines of how this show may be kind of going against the grain of general sports shows, especially with boys, for how Maki's touch has been softer and less masculine. I don't know if intended theme, but maybe against more toxic masculine elements that Touma might have with his anger and how he did not seem to understand the idea of holding back to boost everyone's confidence, rather than more competitive.

I was kind of afraid to come out and say it earlier, but from episode 2 I was thinking that Maki might be some level of genderqueer, specifically thought of NB. Wasn't sure that it would come out and actually touch on it like this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
First appearances for two of the mothers and both in their first appearance behave in the most assine way possible.

Nao's mother is not that different from Taichi's mother in Chihayafuru or Yuu's mother in Noein (also by Akane Kazuki). They all want their kids to focus on exams and get into good schools. Anything that distracts from that path is dangerous and must be avoided. From what I've read, career paths in Japan are pretty narrowly defined. The idea that adolescence should be a time of self-discovery is not especially common.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
First appearances for two of the mothers and both in their first appearance behave in the most assine way possible.

Nao's mother is not that different from Taichi's mother in Chihayafuru or Yuu's mother in Noein (also by Akane Kazuki). They all want their kids to focus on exams and get into good schools. Anything that distracts from that path is dangerous and must be avoided. From what I've read, career paths in Japan are pretty narrowly defined. The idea that adolescence should be a time of self-discovery is not especially common.

I know Taichi's mother and how important that matter can be.
My issue here is that while Chihayafuru still manages to convince us that Taichi's mother cares for him and that he lives in a rigorous household, the mothers in this anime just comes off as "crazy". The volume in the drama is a few steps too high in this anime.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Interesting, but I can't let it pass without saying that the scene were her and the other two were spying of the rival school was "bad". Bad in the sense that they just watched some 30 seconds because Mitsue was starting a fight with the other girls there. A fight without reason. Some my say that those girls were justified to almost hit her because her behavior was inexcusable. And to make things worse all the boys praised her (because SHE was bullied?!) enabling her bad behavior.

The girls would be in the moral right if they just scolded her harshly (though for Mitsue it was a question of committing little evil greater good, so in my opinion she was also in the clear from her POV), but they kept stomping over her, you could see on her face it was painful for her in the shot from the corner. You can't say it's ok to repeatedly stomp on her feet just because she was a jerk, just like you can't just punch someone who cut in the line with assholish attitude.

Also, there's difference between being asshole to someone when you're bigger or have group of people behind you, and being asshole to someone to whom you're clearly weaker. Because Mitsue wasn't asshole just for fun but for good reason, and she was at clear disadvantage there, it makes it easy for me to OK this situation.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

The girls would be in the moral right if they just scolded her harshly (though for Mitsue it was a question of committing little evil greater good, so in my opinion she was also in the clear from her POV), but they kept stomping over her, you could see on her face it was painful for her in the shot from the corner. You can't say it's ok to repeatedly stomp on her feet just because she was a jerk, just like you can't just punch someone who cut in the line with assholish attitude.

Also, there's difference between being asshole to someone when you're bigger or have group of people behind you, and being asshole to someone to whom you're clearly weaker. Because Mitsue wasn't asshole just for fun but for good reason, and she was at clear disadvantage there, it makes it easy for me to OK this situation.

Sounds like bad parenting logic for me.
That she was at a disadvantage and "had good intentions" don't make her behavior less wrong (she was the one who draw first blood) and in less need of correction.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

Sounds like bad parenting logic for me.
That she was at a disadvantage and "had good intentions" don't make her behavior less wrong (she was the one who draw first blood) and in less need of correction.

Pushing someone away is not the same as stomping on feet or punching or otherwise purposefully causing pain. The point of disadvantage is she wasn't bullying them, she was inviting their bullying on purpose by annoying them. It's like someone who comes to group of though-looking guys and starts insulting them to cause a distraction for his buddies - even if insulting people is wrong is he gets punched by them few times before retreating his buddies would also praise him afterwards for getting harmed for their success. They needed distraction, she provided it for them in a way that was risky and scary for her, she didn't really hurt the girls apart from their feelings, and got out of the scuffle harmed.
If you steal artefact necessary for quest from dragon's lair and barely escape dragon's wrath you friends will praise you for your bravery even if the dragon was in the right to some degree to try to kill you 'cause stealing is wrong, to use more extreme example.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Pushing someone away is not the same as stomping on feet or punching or otherwise purposefully causing pain. The point of disadvantage is she wasn't bullying them, she was inviting their bullying on purpose by annoying them. It's like someone who comes to group of though-looking guys and starts insulting them to cause a distraction for his buddies - even if insulting people is wrong is he gets punched by them few times before retreating his buddies would also praise him afterwards for getting harmed for their success. They needed distraction, she provided it for them in a way that was risky and scary for her, she didn't really hurt the girls apart from their feelings, and got out of the scuffle harmed.
If you steal artefact necessary for quest from dragon's lair and barely escape dragon's wrath you friends will praise you for your bravery even if the dragon was in the right to some degree to try to kill you 'cause stealing is wrong, to use more extreme example.

You're using the word "bullying" too lightly.
She was in the wrong, like I pointed Mitsue by started offending and pushing them. She isn't a victim just because she was the minority and had a "reason". A bad reason, "taking one for the team". No, you shouldn't. For me this whole point of view is fundamentally wrong. No one there needs to be a "d1©k" with anyone. She acted from the principle that she needed to behave badly. This is not true.
There's space for everyone, even more if they don't watch just less than a minute of their hours long training.

But I suspect that she felt better with their support exactly because she did a bad thing. "They're here for me even when I'm in the wrong."
Gang mentality, and I'm not ok with this. I wouldn't educate my child to be such a ruffian. I expect to see her talking like a proper and polite good willing citizen from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7