• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Producer Jon Landau: Fans Should Ask Disney for Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Yup those things are so banned. Everyone was very upset when Disney+ launched and the sexy ladies were edited out of the movies. And all those EU comics and books with sexy ladies burned in the giant Disney pits. Forever lost. And now you have to watch other things that still cater to you? The horror! What a shame it is that the heart and soul of Star Wars, which is of course sexualizing women with a bondage/slavery kink, is temporarily not included in recent movies. What a world! Sure sucks that Disney isn’t brave enough to continue doing the same thing as before... and as everyone else... for the same audience as ever...

If you disagree with my point you could just say so. Otherwise just saying "Who cares, you still have other properties with sexy women in it" isn't really an argument, it's basically saying "You're right, but I'm going to reply to this anyway" And I feel like that joke on it not being what Star Wars is known for would work better if the slave bikini wasn't universally considered one of the most popular, iconic cosplay costumes you find at just about every convention and in every popular cosplayer's portfolio, not to mention it's massive influence on pop culture as a whole with hundreds of other works have copied or referenced it. Even the official media and merchandise seemed proud of that fact.

FLCLGainax wrote:
There seems to be a misunderstanding.
My post was meant as a joke satirizing how some reviews of the film like this one thought Alita was sexualized: ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Review: Do Female Cyborgs Dream of Breasts? and Honest Trailers review. I was making fun of how in a sequel, Disney would go so far as to make her appearance look less feminine and more androgynous like Captain Marvel

The fact a lot of them were comparing it to Captain Marvel and treat the two movies as rivals makes me think it was either a marketing thing, or just reviewers diving in the fanboy wars and picking a side.

Either way, Disney has zero reason to make another Alita movie. They already have other properties about female heroes and they're ones they've been curating themselves for the past decade. They don't need Fox's leftovers, and I'm sure they'd rather enter the anime live-action market on their own terms.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Toned down does not just mean violence, but there's also certainly a tonal shift between pre-Disney and post-DIsney Star Wars in a lot of areas, especially in the EU content. Just compare Clone Wars to Resistance in terms of kids shows.

What's there to compare Resistance as far I know wasn't exactly preschool fare to Clone Wars somewhat mature but still kid friendly material.

Crispy45 wrote:
Otherwise, Disney have openly moved away from sexy in the Star Wars universe.

Leia's slave outfit in the third movie was as far as the movie got to embracing sexy.

Crispy45 wrote:

They've banned the slave Leia costume and Twi'lek dancers from existing in canon. They've been very adamant about distancing themselves from sexy.

Which once again the series NEVER prided itself on much less cared about. Maybe the EU did given it was the wild west in terms of what the writers were allowed to do but not the main films and such did.

Crispy45 wrote:

Warner Brothers, for all it's faults, don't seem to be adverse to adult stuff like sexy women and ultra violence in comic adaptions.

Which is funny since that's one of the reasons people hated the Watchmen adaptation. On top of not being too fond of Anne Hathaway's Catwoman costume in DKR.

Crispy45 wrote:

I mean, Birds of Prey looks like a trash film, but I'm glad something like it is allowed to exist and they're not afraid to do what Disney won't.

Considering Disney'/Marvel's superhero films have been kicking the ass of Warner Bros. superhero films for over a decade it's an incredibly moot point.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the only way i could see Alita sequels ever working with Disney in the picture is if they got the whole crew back together, gave them tons of time and a giant budget then said "Do whatever you need to do to make it the best" then f'd off and left them completely alone.

But this is Disney we're discussing. The chances of that happening are located somewhere between Hell becoming Frozen (though some would argue Frozen is hell) and Disney publicly announcing "hey, we're not going to screw around with things anymore just because we want to leech every last cent out of a property and end up ruining it".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3