• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
^ Ditto on Eizouken. I still find the design for the tall girl off-putting, it looks like her head was stuck in a box. I hope it's not to imply that she's a "square". Smile The pacing of the show is great, and the characters develop beautifully. The way they opened up to each other about their love of the art was great. I think the animation of the flying bug was the two of them "blue-skying" what their combined drawings could turn into, and that was great too.

All I can ask now is for more, and I hope it doesn't kill the animators.

Wink
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
Eizouken is awesome. Any love letter to the anime industry are highly welcomed. After Animation runner kuromi and shirobako I've been waiting for something like this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:24 am Reply with quote
I am totally on board with Theron basis of not much of a general fan of Masaaki Yuasa's work, Tatami Galaxy felt like it was painful to watch, and I have generally kept myself away from Ping Pong after seeing how it looks. But I do think the first episode of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! got me excited. Sure some questions still raised about some aesthetics, but so far I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that might work.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
Eizouken just came off as all style and no substance to me, which seems to be Yuasa's tradition throughout the years. More crude, simplistic art for the sake of more exaggerated animation. Although apparently he didn't design anything and this is based on a manga, so I guess it's just a coincidence. The ending segment where they just imagine themselves flying their dragonfly ship felt like the animators just wanted an excuse to do a flashy chase sequence since it served no actual purpose. I have a feeling there's going to be one of those in every episode. I'll probably give it one more episode, but it just seems a bit too self congratulatory about anime. Especially having an actually "my parents just don't understand anime" scene. Hopefully it isn't full of stuff like that.

Also I noticed a few odd translation mistakes in the Crunchy subs. Nothing actually important or anything, just some weird amateur mistakes. Hopefully they fix it.
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:26 am Reply with quote
The whole idea of Eizouken (as I see it) is to show what drive all those creative people and their wild imagination behind ANIME that we love and appreciate so much today. So what's wrong with anime trying to convey that feeling. As I say it's a love letter to the industry.

I can understand people see this parallel to Quemtin Tarantino who goes all those lengthty style just to say "this is how you should appreciate great movies". different stroke different folks.

And despite this, masaki yuasa anime are a hit or missed to me. But there's no doubt he's doing a great job here with ep 1.

I always got burn later when I'm too excited about 1st ep, but hey its normal, it's preview time after all.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
I found the first episode of Eizouken to be absolutely delightful. Personally I really enjoy the animation style, and hope the series manages to maintain its positive energetic attitude.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am totally on board with Theron basis of not much of a general fan of Masaaki Yuasa's work, Tatami Galaxy felt like it was painful to watch, and I have generally kept myself away from Ping Pong after seeing how it looks. But I do think the first episode of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! got me excited. Sure some questions still raised about some aesthetics, but so far I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that might work.

Yes, yes, and yes.

At least I am willing to give it a little more of a trial. One thing that might be a killer or might be a winning point. In Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shiitai the animators included fantastic battle scenes which were only ever imaginary as a routine part of the series. It worked, I feel, because it served as a way of demonstrating how much the characters were subject to their overactive imaginations and how far the male lead, Yuuta, had come in taming his in his desire to lead a "normal" high school life. Ah, but the best laid plans of mice, men, and Dark Flame Masters... If Eizouken continues to use that same gimmick, and there's no reason to think it won't, then it could wind up being what ultimately makes or breaks the show.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
I suppose it says something about how bad King's Game was that I feel like I need to approach Darwin's Game with caution.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
At least Theron mentioned In/Spectre, which makes me happy since it is my most anticipated show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! was the first 5/5 first episode I've seen in a long time. I got goosebumps watching her marvel at the experience of watching Future Boy Conan. I kind of hope they continue referencing it and the show becomes a hit, not only because I love what I've seen so far but also because I'd love for someone to take the chance and pay whatever hefty licensing fee is associated and BRING THE SHOW OVER HERE! Such classics need to be watched by larger audiences.
But every little playful thing done in the show, the trick ropes and hidden passages, further MIyazaki references, and the imagination representations.. all soooo good.
Although... now that I think about it, maybe the better thing to do would be to make each episode a tiny tribute to a different creator each time. I would love to see Yuasa's take on Satoshi Kon, all jump cuts and the already established skewing of reality and imagination... but for such an episode it would need to go on the entire length and you'd never be able to tell which is which.
Excited to see what's next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I suppose it says something about how bad King's Game was that I feel like I need to approach Darwin's Game with caution.

I think it goes with the death game genre, even the good ones are always running to risk of getting horribly derailed.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Nutaris wrote:

Now, this kind of one sided slandering is getting pretty old. We get that a lot of people don't like stories where a caregiver ends up romantically involved with their charge. However, I'm willing to bet there are more than enough people who don't have a problem with it either.

Firstly, it's a work of fiction. Secondly, it's consensual no one has the right to say they aren't allowed to like who they wish. Thirdly, they aren't related so it's not incest. Seriously, you are free to like or dislike what you wish, but attitudes like this are eerily similar to homophobic behavior which we are finally starting to get over as a society. Let's try to bring that moral outage down a few notches please?

(a) This is not 'don't like'; this is 'may be deeply traumatized by', and it's concern over the normalization of such situations. It isn't some sort of chocolate vs. coconut matter of preferences.

(b) Consensuality is actually a major part of the issue, because there are a lot of ways in which relationships that involve that kind of steep power dynamic can force coercion on the participant not in a position of power, to the extent where for many people (and many companies) now the general presumption is that no such power-dynamic relationship (e.g. boss/subordinate relationships) can be trusted to be actually consensual.

(c) The difference between this and 'gay panic' concerns about media is that there are a lot of actual people out there who have had real-world trauma due to coerced relationships from someone in a position of power over them, and a substantial number who have literal PTSD because of such situations. These sorts of cautionary notes, and wary attitudes, serve a functional protective purpose for some people.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
From James ID:invaded preview

Quote:
Ei Aoki's last directorial effort – Re:CREATORS – would probably make my top 5 for Favorite Series of the '90s

I can't tell if this is a typo or some sort of jabs/joke at Re:CREATORS expanse.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I can safely say that I would love to see somebody get saddled with the Seton High review Wink.

And I never thought of striped knee-high socks as fetish wear, so the whole review section was terribly educational...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:

And I never thought of striped knee-high socks as fetish wear, so the whole review section was terribly educational...

I mean, maybe I've seen too much bad Alice in Wonderland and Amy Brown fanart... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18