• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Anime, Live-Action Films With Bigscreen VR Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am not going to get into an argument about what could be controversy or not. At the end of the day, many people scream about the things that bother them and for them that might be that important.

The last thing I heard about Funimation that could be considered scandalicious would be that voice actor stuff.

All this topic is about, is Funimation providing a service, that some might want, some might not. And others who think no one should use it for 'reasons'.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, FUNimation seriously needs to get its act together and decide once and for all what kind of company they want to be. They may had been successful here in the west but not without controversy. This being just another example of it.

What exactly is controversial about Funimation offering more platform venues for streaming content? If you don't like the idea then you don't have to use it. They have other options available to watch these movies. They're just doing something to help offer people a pseudo theater experience that some people might think is fun during this difficult time when all the theaters are still closed and people are social distancing.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What exactly is controversial about Funimation offering more platform venues for streaming content? If you don't like the idea then you don't have to use it. They have other options available to watch these movies. They're just doing something to help offer people a pseudo theater experience that some people might think is fun during this difficult time when all the theaters are still closed and people are social distancing.

Chronos and Zalis already made the points earlier about this being controversial. I'm only adding my two cents in the matter.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, I am not going to get into an argument about what could be controversy or not. At the end of the day, many people scream about the things that bother them and for them that might be that important.

The last thing I heard about Funimation that could be considered scandalicious would be that voice actor stuff.

All this topic is about, is Funimation providing a service, that some might want, some might not. And others who think no one should use it for 'reasons'.

Interspecies Reviewers is what I thought they were talking about.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Chronos and Zalis already made the points earlier about this being controversial. I'm only adding my two cents in the matter.

Ehhhhh it really doesn’t that much of a big deal. At least not to the point of acting like they should be on some ultimatium like you know any better.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the problem would be with this. It's another avenue for people to watch their content, and people have the choice to use it or not. It doesn't prevent Funimation from pursuing other things. Since they are working with a per-existing service, it's not like major resources are getting diverted into it. Aside from maybe getting permission from the Japanese side of things, about all they need to do is send over the materials, like they do with Toonami. Companies experiment with different opportunities all the time, and if a simpler one comes up while they are working on other things, then they will give it a try.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Ehhhhh it really doesn’t that much of a big deal. At least not to the point of acting like they should be on some ultimatium like you know any better.

It's only natural for any patron to look at any new business venture with a grain of salt when dealing with a company that has a reputation for its business consequences, for better or for worse. Speaking as someone who had been both benefited and screwed over by FUNimation's business practices over the years, I don't see an issue in speaking my mind about it. It's got nothing to do with me being "better" than the company so much so as being objective. If people want to use FUNimation's service, then more power to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3