• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Hero Mask Anime for Home Video Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Sentai has been rescuing a bunch of netflix anime recently, they also did BD releases for 7 Seeds and Cagaster of an Insect Cage (might have done more but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head). It's nice to see that Netflix originals won't be trapped there forever with Violet Evergarden and B The Beginning getting releases by different companies too.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh damn, I'd been planning to check this out when it was announced, and then I forgot about it - no wonder, as Netflix did nothing at all to promote it, or even let people know it existed.

Better late than never I guess, but this really just goes to show how successful Netflix's model is (= not at all).
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Oh damn, I'd been planning to check this out when it was announced, and then I forgot about it - no wonder, as Netflix did nothing at all to promote it, or even let people know it existed.

Better late than never I guess, but this really just goes to show how successful Netflix's model is (= not at all).

They did, but the promo trailer was the characters from the anime sipping coffee and people were thrown off by it. It gave away absolutely nothing about the show and made it less exciting to watch. Confused
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
SHD wrote:

They did, but the promo trailer was the characters from the anime sipping coffee and people were thrown off by it. It gave away absolutely nothing about the show and made it less exciting to watch. Confused

The overall show actually turned out to be as exciting as that promo video, ironically enough, so one can't blame it for false advertising! All kidding aside, I did technically like this series, but it's very different in that it really takes its serious time with the characters and storytelling like overspreading butter. Still, I was able to make through this series in such a way I couldn't with 7Seeds.

While they're acquiring Netflix titles, if they could at least consider Little Witch Academia that would truly make my day!
zero-r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
SHD wrote:

It doesn’t matter if that promo was good or bad, the fact is that the way Netflix promotes its “original” anime series is still pretty awful (and somewhat insulting to their original creators be honest).

Most recent examples of this are BNA and the Great Pretender. Those series were hardly promoted by Netflix when they released and pretty quickly went into obscurity in the platform (less than a week), regardless of the quality of their respective promos. And unless you are a massive fan of anime, you probably miss the release of those series (or forgot about their existence completely)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
It seems like Sentai has been rescuing a bunch of netflix anime recently, they also did BD releases for 7 Seeds and Cagaster of an Insect Cage (might have done more but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head). It's nice to see that Netflix originals won't be trapped there forever with Violet Evergarden and B The Beginning getting releases by different companies too.

Maybe there is a bit of a niche for them there? It's no secret that Netflix has shows that people would buy on disc if they could, and it's not like Netflix has any interest in doing it.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Whyyyy are they only releasing their garbage series? I’d pay for Little Witch Academia in an instant, but nothing on that. Did those shows actually do well among non-anime fans that aren’t out on social media so Sentai saw them as a good investment? Or maybe they did so poorly the home video rights were cheap? Either way, it’s frustrating as hell.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Was this the one that had hand-drawn cars?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on Devilman Crybaby, Little Witch Academia, Hisone & Masotan, Beastars, Dorohedoro, Hi Score Girl, Aggretsuko, Baki, Carole & Tuesday, Saiki K S2+, Kabaneri movie, Kakegurui, Saint Seiya 2019 dub, Great Pretender, Seven Deadly Sins (beyond S1), and some word on the new Violet Evergarden movie.

Also would love Amazon shows like Vinland Saga, Wotakoi, Dororo, Re:Creators, etc dubbed and released on bluray.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Still waiting on Devilman Crybaby, Little Witch Academia, Hisone & Masotan, Beastars, Dorohedoro, Hi Score Girl, Aggretsuko, Baki, Carole & Tuesday, Saiki K S2+, Kabaneri movie, Kakegurui, Saint Seiya 2019 dub, Great Pretender, Seven Deadly Sins (beyond S1), and some word on the new Violet Evergarden movie.

Devilman Crybaby is an Aniplex title so that's probably off limits unless AoA or a UK company wants it.

As for me, I just want Hi Score Girl, Baki, Rohan & all of Saint Seiya (including their Lost Canvas dub on Blu-ray so I can double-dip).
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1