• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
saber721 wrote:
Moving on from that, some more nice symbolism from this episode I noticed:

-At 9:32, as Lena is walking away from Annette's house. The fence of the house next to Annette's (the one that had the 86 family) is the only one shown on the entire street that isn't white.

Not sure if there's enough visual evidence to say that it's the only one on the street that isn't white, but Annette's house being white and the one next door being a darker color does seem more than just coincidence.
Quote:

-At 12:41, the whole scene where the street and cars are reflected in Lena's window as she's telling Shin to run away. I believe this is symbolic of the Republic and the 86. The two white (or silver maybe) cars that pass by represent the Republic citizen's, moving freely but ultimately trapped within the walls. (Represented by the crosswalk) The stationary Black car represents the 86 (and probably Shin in particular) trapped outside of the wall with it to their backs and the unknown of the Legion territories to their front but ultimately choosing to move forward of their own will.

Good catch; did not notice this one on first view. Again, it does seem a little too deliberate to not have intended meaning.

On other points, even on a rewatch I cannot see the uncle as being portrayed as evil. As in previous scenes with him, he chooses his words very carefully. Nothing he says indicates that he personally holds anything against 86s; he's just resigned to being part of a country "full of fools and villains" and on the despair side of the hope/despair coin he describes. (I also thought the comment about "the execution of Saint Magnolia" was an interesting one in terms of framing how the foundation of the country is corrupt.)

Although Annette's expression was a big exaggerated, I had more the impression of someone lashing out in frustration rather than being evil. She hates that Lena still has hope because Lena doesn't know the full scope of the heart of darkness within the country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

On other points, even on a rewatch I cannot see the uncle as being portrayed as evil. As in previous scenes with him, he chooses his words very carefully. Nothing he says indicates that he personally holds anything against 86s; he's just resigned to being part of a country "full of fools and villains" and on the despair side of the hope/despair coin he describes. (I also thought the comment about "the execution of Saint Magnolia" was an interesting one in terms of framing how the foundation of the country is corrupt.)

I think the author was going for the opposite effect, actually.

Normally, if the author wanted us to sympathize with and understand Jerome's (the uncle) position, she would have created another character to be his foil and embody his argument about the people.. For example, a politician who would be giving Jerome orders he didn't like but had to obey, so the reader can think "Well, his hands are tied". That's a basic writing trick.

Instead, the author doesn't do that. She is very deliberate about making Jerome the only authority figure in the Republic. I believe this is to highlight the fact that at the end of the day, despite all his hand wringing about his limitations and the limitations of idealism, Jerome is still a person of immense personal power and he uses none of it to aid the 86. Perhaps he can't change the whole system, but surely he can change much more than Lena can and we've seen how even the small things that Lena did for Spearhead Squadron made a difference in their lives.

He really has no excuse for that and the author hasn't tried to give him one either. Coming from a man of his position, that's not the outright evil of a supervillain, but the kind of priviliged evil that's much more commonplace.

Quote:

Although Annette's expression was a big exaggerated, I had more the impression of someone lashing out in frustration rather than being evil. She hates that Lena still has hope because Lena doesn't know the full scope of the heart of darkness within the country.

The anime did Annette a disservice this episode. In the novels, we can see her monologue while she's berating Lena, and even she thinks that what she doing is shitty as hell.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting connection I just noticed: at the 11:05 mark in episode 1, Annette mentions that using the para-RAID accepts the risks of a potential burn-out of the brain. Immediately after that, Lena looks at a picture of a young Annette and her father. With the explanation of her father's death in episode 8, the foreshadowing in that scene has now been completed.

LastPage 3 wrote:
I think the author was going for the opposite effect, actually.

I completely disagree with this and what follows in your argument, and I'm basing this on anime content alone.

Go back and look at everything that Jerome has said in this series. Assuming that the translations are reasonably accurate, he's never once said that anything concerning the 86s was his decision. That he's following the instructions of a higher authority and/or answering to a higher will has always been implicit in his words and actions. He's being the dutiful soldier and carrying out policy rather than making it. A foil isn't needed to convey this because the whole point of his character is to be an example of someone who's concluded that he can't fight the system; the "villains and fools" comment this episode conveys that impression more strongly than anything previous. At the very least, he doesn't regard any of this as wise, but he also doesn't think he can do anything about it.

Quote:
The anime did Annette a disservice this episode. In the novels, we can see her monologue while she's berating Lena, and even she thinks that what she doing is shitty as hell.

I can partly agree with this. I still thought the anime version did a better job of conveying that Annette has guilt and deep regrets than what some are giving it credit for, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I completely disagree with this and what follows in your argument, and I'm basing this on anime content alone.

Go back and look at everything that Jerome has said in this series. Assuming that the translations are reasonably accurate, he's never once said that anything concerning the 86s was his decision.

I never said that it was his decision. I said that he has not done anything to help their situation at all, despite his position.

Quote:
That he's following the instructions of a higher authority and/or answering to a higher will has always been implicit in his words and actions. He's being the dutiful soldier and carrying out policy rather than making it.

The Nuremberg defense is a bad excuse, especially coming from someone who is deliberately framed as the only authority figure we see in the Republic.

Quote:
A foil isn't needed to convey this because the whole point of his character is to be an example of someone who's concluded that he can't fight the system; the "villains and fools" comment this episode conveys that impression more strongly than anything previous. At the very least, he doesn't regard any of this as wise, but he also doesn't think he can do anything about it.

My point was that the lack of a foil was a deliberate choice to show that Jerome's protestations about being unable to change the system ring hollow when he is, in effect, the only part of the system we ever see.

When Annette says something like this I can at least understand that because what she can do is limited. Jerome has options, there are things he can do, small they may be. I mean, he couldn't even arrange for the 86 to be given maps. He could not do something as simple as that.

All his talk about the country being filled with villains and fools doesn't resonate when he is just as slothful and lazy as they are.

Quote:
I can partly agree with this. I still thought the anime version did a better job of conveying that Annette has guilt and deep regrets than what some are giving it credit for, though.

Sure, but there's a power and clarity to a monologue that's just hard to beat. Very few people seem to have picked up on Annette's self-loathing on other places this show is discussed.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
I think you're expecting a lot of completely unnecessary hand-holding here. Jerome obviously communicates the point for some viewers. Having a villain to serve as a foil would actually detract from the point. They aren't following the orders of some mustache-twirling villain. They aren't outside the system, they are completely part of the system they criticize. But being part of the system is normal. It's the basic expectation of society. It's part of why the Nazis were so "successful" in their efforts to control society. The people committing the evil aren't some morality-lacking deviants, they're completely normal people like you or me. That's very much part of the thematic core of the show, I don't know why they would want to detract from that by giving them a "more evil" foil.

I also don't understand how someone wouldn't perceive Annette's self-loathing from the last episode. It's clear as day, even with some poor choices of facial expressions.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Sure, but there's a power and clarity to a monologue that's just hard to beat. Very few people seem to have picked up on Annette's self-loathing on other places this show is discussed.

Really? From the sites I've seen it seemed pretty clear how much she hated herself because of her guilt and how she was projecting that onto Lena.
Yttrbio wrote:
I also don't understand how someone wouldn't perceive Annette's self-loathing from the last episode. It's clear as day, even with some poor choices of facial expressions.

I think the facial expressions were effective in showing how emotionally broken and twisted she's become due to her guilt she's been holding in all this time.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think you're expecting a lot of completely unnecessary hand-holding here. Jerome obviously communicates the point for some viewers. Having a villain to serve as a foil would actually detract from the point. They aren't following the orders of some mustache-twirling villain. They aren't outside the system, they are completely part of the system they criticize. But being part of the system is normal. It's the basic expectation of society. It's part of why the Nazis were so "successful" in their efforts to control society. The people committing the evil aren't some morality-lacking deviants, they're completely normal people like you or me. That's very much part of the thematic core of the show, I don't know why they would want to detract from that by giving them a "more evil" foil.

This is basically my point. There's no moustache twirling villain here to detract from Jerome's own crimes of apathy and sloth. He criticizes the citizens, but he's no different than they are.

Quote:

Those facial expressions seemed to have fooled some folk through.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
This is basically my point. There's no moustache twirling villain here to detract from Jerome's own crimes of apathy and sloth. He criticizes the citizens, but he's no different than they are.

So since we don't see him answering to anyone, the villain role falls on him?

If anything, Jerome's rank means he has less ability to act compared to Lena, not more. As a general, he may have the power to make things happen, but that also means that his actions are under much greater scrutiny. Some of the little stuff that Lena has done - provide maps, bribe an officer to send the 86s fireworks - would barely make a ripple for a Handler even if she was found out, but if those moves came with the weight of a General's orders then they would cause waves that he would have a difficult time staying afloat in.

And no, I'm not saying Jerome is faultless here. His attitude - especially in this episode - shows that he knows he's guilty by participating in this. In fact, he's clearly been trying to keep Lena out of it as much as possible, ever since he realized that she was sympathizing with Spearhead Squadron. However, he is different from the citizens, because he at least recognizes that it's wrong. This is a very important distinction, one that the original author addresses specifically in some scenes yet to come, so I have to think it's meant to apply here, too.

Quote:
Those facial expressions seemed to have fooled some folk through.

People misinterpret things all the time when anime tries to be even a bit subtle. (Hell, I've done it myself with other series.) I don't think I would have interpreted this scene differently even if I hadn't recently reread it in the novel, though.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

If anything, Jerome's rank means he has less ability to act compared to Lena, not more. As a general, he may have the power to make things happen, but that also means that his actions are under much greater scrutiny. Some of the little stuff that Lena has done - provide maps, bribe an officer to send the 86s fireworks - would barely make a ripple for a Handler even if she was found out, but if those moves came with the weight of a General's orders then they would cause waves that he would have a difficult time staying afloat in.

Without a more in-depth look at what the political situation of the Republic is, I'm not so sure on that (God knows that we've had leaders in real life who go around flagrantly breaking rules), but let's say that true.

I still think there are more ways that Jerome could use his influence in order to do something, even if they aren't strictly by the book.

Quote:
However, he is different from the citizens, because he at least recognizes that it's wrong.

Are the ignorant really better, morally speaking, than someone who knows something is wrong and does nothing to stop it?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode hit all the story beats it needed too as the (presumably) climax of the 1st half, though I felt the spoiler[later half with Lena "being left behind" was much more compelling than Shin's confrontation with his brother. I'm glad Annette had some redemption and Lena noticed who her neighbor was like all the viewers did, though I'm wondering what the fallout will be on their side. Whether or not there will be any disciplinary repercussions and if Lena will lose her eye. Lena showing up with the mortars felt like the culmination of her character arc and direct defiance of not only the republic's hypocrisy but of Annette's and her uncle's from last episode.

The fight with Rei was well executed but... I guess the right term is it broke my suspension of disbelief a bit. The liquid metal arms were a clear metaphor which were interpreted differently by Rei and Shin, but as far as a literal mechanic of the legion it was jarring. Also a bit disappointed that the rest of Spearhead have had so little development, but this arc was primarily focused on Shin and his brother so I can't complain that much.]
Gingi7890

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
I loved this episode. It animated one of my favorite parts of the first novel spoiler[where Lena uses the cannons to help them get away - partly because it's the first time in the story that they acknowledge her as an equal, in my opinion.]

For the person who wondered what type of consequences Lena is going to face, spoiler[she gets demoted, which she does not care at all about. She also continues to use the cannon to support the next squadron.]

I kind of wished they'd spoiler[included the scene where Lena visits the spearhead squadron's base - I don't know if it was cut for time, but I hope they include it next week.]

I thought that the fight with Shin's brother spoiler[was one instance where the novel was the better medium - because the author is able to describe what the characters are thinking whereas the anime has more trouble with that. Still, I thought the scene was done well]

spoiler[The scene with Annette being in the room, and Lena running to "chase" spearhead are both anime originals - they're not included in the novels (at least to my recollection). I also loved the fact that she had the little chibis from her board in front of her at the end - it was a nice addition that is also doesn't happen in the novels.]

And finally, to last weeks episode, one of the more interesting details i think the anime left out that Lena's uncle mentions is that it's the first time when they've done the special reconassance mission spoiler[that they've had enough processors to field an entire squadron. Normally they're just left with one or two.]

Kind of sad the first cour is over in two episodes, but I've loved what i've seen so far. Very Happy

Last edited by Gingi7890 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:51 am Reply with quote
It's an interesting character choice for Lena to have Shin actually be the Annette's next door neighbor. I'll see how she develops going forward before considering it a mistake, but it would send a very different message if Lena's willingness to use Annette's guilt meant she would be willing to invent the connection to Spearhead rather than point out an actually existing one.

I found the inclusion of big brother's perspective completely unnecessary and even distracting (and the arms were downright goofy). He didn't need to be given a point of view to still carry the same emotional weight for the rest of the cast.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

I found the inclusion of big brother's perspective completely unnecessary and even distracting (and the arms were downright goofy). He didn't need to be given a point of view to still carry the same emotional weight for the rest of the cast.

I completely agree with this with one exception. spoiler[The scene with Rei and young Lena that ends with a slap/impact from mortars was a really nice one imo. I wish we never got floating head Rei and instead only got scenes where he's reliving a distorted scene from his past like that one to illustrate his internal conflict and guilt.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gingi7890 wrote:
I kind of wished they'd spoiler[included the scene where Lena visits the spearhead squadron's base - I don't know if it was cut for time, but I hope they include it next week.]

Don't think you have to worry here. Given the next episode's announced title, the scene you're talking about will almost certainly be a featured part of that episode - probably even the opening scene.

On another note, fun fact about that shot of the flowers at the end: spoiler[those are higanbana (aka red spider lilies), and legend has it that they bloom whenever two people part ways forever.] Not that that scene needed any extra weight, but it carries even more impact if you know that.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who has not read the novels, only watched the anime:

Annette's expressions in the last episode did not bother me very much --- it seemed pretty clear to me that she was consumed with guilt, and was lashing out at Lena for continuing with the "naiveté" that Annette had come to repudiate in her own attempts to justify her acts (or failure to act) in the past. The story about her father wanting to shelter the neighboring family was pretty poignant.

As for Lena's uncle --- he seemed to display a weary, "this is just how the world works" cynicism, though in service to a pretty horrible policy. On the other hand, you have things like the Tuskegee experiment, or the recently memorialized Tulsa massacre, or the current Canadian horror-story about mass graves at schools for native Americans --- all things that happened in supposedly enlightened democracies --- to reflect on. This can be, sadly, just how the world works.

That said, I thought last week's episode was somewhat trite in isolation.

But last week was setup for this most recent episode --- spoiler[giving Lena leverage over Annette that she did not have before, making Lena desperate enough to go far outside the rules in ways she hadn't been willing to do before]. Together, I think the two episodes form a pretty strong whole, and form a cap to the series (though what happens next to the remnants of Spearhead would seem like a loose-end right now if I hadn't peeked at some of the spoilers in this discussion).

The series has fulfilled one of its purposes --- I'm now likely to pick up the novels and read them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13