• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86 Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He may truly want to protect them (and I personally think he does), but if the reflection speaks the truth, then perhaps that's only because he's an ideologue and he has to, in order to uphold the nominal values of his country, which he sees as his job.

Ernst is absolutely an ideologue; it's what defines him as a person (and perhaps is what he clings to?). If the country can't be better, more moral, than the Empire it replaced, then what was the point of the revolution?

As for destroying the country, given how important he is to it, all he'd have to do is step back and let it all collapse without him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hmm, "perhaps" up there wasn't questioning whether he's an ideologue, but whether his desire to protect them was the true motivation for his position, as the review seemed to suggest if I was interpreting it correctly. To me it seemed to be the reverse if the reflection had any symbolism - that his ideology required him to protect them because it was his duty and not out of the goodness of his heart or affection for the 86s. Both could be true, but if so, then the reflection is meaningless, since everything he said in the scene would be the heartfelt truth, and not only his words of duty spoken while reflected.
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:40 am Reply with quote
I remember complaining about Tensura and how it spent 6 episodes just prolonging a single conversation, but now here we are at 86's ep 7, plus 2 delays that make it feel like 9, and we keep repeating the same thematic beats again and again and again with minimal action to accompany them. We get it. Poor children. Move forward. Tatakae. Or do something at last, for the love of God!
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little late to the discussion for episode 18, because of holidays and travel but there was a couple lines in the beginning of the episode where the top general was talking to the president/prime minister figure, And a little later when Grethe is talking to her superior, that as a Veteran really resonated with me. especially when I think about how some vets are treated when they come back home from deployments or get out, especially those suffering from PTSD.

i've used italics to separate 2 different characters lines

86 Episode 18 wrote:
They're monsters, created by the madness of the battlefield, Are you willing to take them into your beloved homeland?

is that really what the Federacy should be?

Of Course.

86 Episode 18 wrote:
Even if we ever-so-kindly took them in, they would never forget the battlefield

I don't know about that, They're still kids in their mid-teens. Right now, they're not used to their new environment. it's all they can do to protect themselves, But someday they might get used to this country and long to have the things that were stolen from them and even if they were still to choose to live on the battlefield, it should be their decision to make. Ill wait till then, however many years it takes

Do you have a duty to go that far?

Of Course. it's our responsibility for arrogantly trying to save our fellow humans, as you would a drowning puppy

The only other anime that hit on this recently correctly was "The Price of Smiles"
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It was funny watching Theo and Kurena freak out at getting dropped.

The Legion have definitely stepped up their game, realizing the need for backups and now being fully aware of "Baleygr's" power. It makes taking the Morpho out even more difficult.

I like how Kiriya was more clear than Rei up until he went "I'll kill you all" and started getting more static-y, like his personality was fighting the Legion programming. It was interesting seeing two Shepherd's communicate like an actual Legion chain-of-command even if they're still AI's at the end of the day.

The Morpho looks as imposing and monstrous as it should, especially when we saw #2.

Shin's suicidal recklessness is getting worse and worse by the episode. Not only did he tune everyone out, but he honestly seemed annoyed when he had to pivot away from fighting the Morpho to backing the team up.

So it turns out that not only did Grethe reject bowl-cut for her husband, said husband passed away before they were even married. She was a widow before she was even a bride. The Legion have, like, no chill.

Well, I know they're frustrated Frederica stowed away with Fido, but she did help save them from Kirya. Although Shin throwing her a gun so she would kill herself if they get caught shook up even the other Eighty-Six.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyways, I'm off again. Next week's episode has been delayed due to a programming issue, rather than production. . .

When/where was this announced? First I've heard about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
Good episode this week, though it was clear they were cutting corners on the Morpho, placing the camera so we could barely see it.

Key wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, I'm off again. Next week's episode has been delayed due to a programming issue, rather than production. . .

They don't state the reason, but the next episode is scheduled for the 18th -_-

https://twitter.com/anime_eightysix/status/1467153469668675586
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Key wrote:
Quote:

They don't state the reason, but the next episode is scheduled for the 18th -_-

https://twitter.com/anime_eightysix/status/1467153469668675586

They didn't state the reason, but they had announced they would skip the 11th by the time (or at the same time?) the first delay was announced.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-11-07/86-anime-delays-episode-18-by-1-week-due-to-production-issues/.179321

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-11-21/86-anime-also-delays-episode-19-by-1-week-due-to-production-issues/.179818

I thought I heard somewhere that it would be skipped due to a scheduling issue, but now I'm not sure since the first announcement said they would air a compilation episode.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I interpreted that "compilation episode for the 11th has been canceled" as meaning that it had just been moved forward to 11/27. and that 12/11 would be business as usual. Guess that was too optimistic. . . Crying or Very sad
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Those ants weren't devouring just any butterfly. I think that was a blue morpho.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/bfly/blue_morpho.htm
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It rally does put things in perspective seeing Shin vocalize all his concerns and to see it come at a breaking point for Raiden, and we see how, despite the Eighty-Six's shared pride, there is a clear distinction between Shin and his comrades to where even as entrenched in the battlefield as they are they can still see more in the world than Shin can. And they can't help him.

Also Frederica eviscerating Kurena was hilarious.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Those ants weren't devouring just any butterfly. I think that was a blue morpho.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/bfly/blue_morpho.htm

Your probably right, In the first shot of the butterfly there was exactly enough ants as there was 86 and as soon as the scene switched to the military base that's when we saw 30+ ants eating the butterfly. i think the symbolism is perfect.

I'm also surprised Fredrica is still with them or at least I'm surprised we didn't get a scene where they try to take her back and she somehow weasels her way back.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
I'm also surprised Fredrica is still with them or at least I'm surprised we didn't get a scene where they try to take her back and she somehow weasels her way back.

That was explained, though; they are so far forward of the rest of the Federacy military that getting anyone back to their lines would be a treacherous task at best. Only Shin could pull it off, and he's vital to the mission.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This week's review is spot on --- Kiriya hasn't been a particularly motivating villain (though the Morpho alone, even without a disembodied intelligence, would suffice --- indeed, not anthropomorphizing it might have made it more sinister). The second half of this episode went a good distance toward rectifying that, though I think it may have been better placed in the earlier battle against the Morpho, and then echoed here.

Some deus seemed to pop out of the machina there at the end of the battle, with a sudden, mysterious, shelling. Also, wasn't Shin was hearing something over his earpiece? That sounded like Lena's voice to me (though it could have been Kurena or Anju, I suppose).

The production delays this season has, I'm afraid, made it a little harder to care about this series (I think, also, they've not succeeded in communicating important motivating bits of the story). I think I'm going to have to find time for the novels.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
This week's review is spot on --- Kiriya hasn't been a particularly motivating villain (the Morpho alone, even without a disembodied intelligence, would suffice). The second half of this episode went a good distance toward rectifying that, though I think it may have been better placed in the earlier battle against the Morpho.

Kiriya is there for Frederica to be emotionally invested in the battle and for a peek at what Shin could be like if he really had nothing to live for but the battlefield.

I do feel that the scenes of him recognizing Frederica and it throwing him completely off were great and made a nice parallel to Lena/Rei last cour. The feels from that fantasy of the Nouzen family together...
Quote:
Some deus seemed to pop out of the machina there at the end of the battle, with a sudden, mysterious, shelling. Also, Shin was hearing something over his earpiece that sounded like Lena's voice to me.

If you listen close you can definitely hear her voice. I think they even credited Ikumi Hasegawa in the credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8