• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Hood Manga Ends, Neru Manga Reaches Climax in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I feel like both those titles are pretty established so they probably won't get cut, though I haven't seen the numbers to know. I'm a fan of both titles (though I'm massively behind on HSF), but I have to say I was surprised they've been going for this long, especially HSF which I expected to be axed yoinks ago (I guess that's the staying power of Isobee helping it out?).

I'm not sure what will be cut next as most of the other stuff has either just started or is getting pretty established and are over 19 chapters.
PPPPP could definitely be next (unfortunately), though it's only 8 chapters in so hopefully it gets at least 10 more.
But beyond that I don't know...
It'd sure be nice to have a run where nothing is cancelled.

This year has definitely been more stable than last year. 2020 had 17 new regular series in WSJ (plus Burn the Witch), while this year's going to be 12 with the latest batch. (2019 and 2020 both had 12, but that's counting the Byakuya short for 2020.) And of course 2020 saw a whole bunch of long-runners end -- Haikyu, Yuuna, Demon Slayer, TPN, and Act-Age.

There isn't really that same sort of vacuum right now. If you look at just the older half of the titles in the magazine, it's been remarkably stable for several months. 2021 started with WNL and Chainsaw Man part 1 ending, but after that, the biggest losses have been what, Agravity Boys and Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin? And the median series length has gone from 30 or so chapters in February to over 60 now.

Still, for new series? I think the odds are gonna be about the same they've always been. One-in-four chance of reaching their first birthday, one-in-six chance of reaching their second. Jump's not likely to push that turnover rate much below 11 or 12 series a year.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea this thing was ever in danger of cancellation. Sucks that it lasted for only 18 chapters because I really did wanna check it out at some point.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Here lie the problem, people read mangaplus because it's free. You start to monetize it and the readers count would plummet. Also authors are paid according to the volume sales. Face it, global audiences don't pay enough to affect Japan domestic manga sale. Why cater to an audience that don't generate any revenue?

I didn't mean to monetize everything. It can stay free and start monetize parts of it. The weekly chapters can stay free for the titles that only have the last 3 chapters available every week. And as we know that these result in missing chapters, they can make these chapters available for purchase in the form of volumes. Weekly 'free' readers can stay happy as they read new chapters for free, therefore no plummeting readers count. Meanwhile those who wants to read the missing chapters and/or want to support the mangaka can buy them in volumes. This is possible from other ebook stores, but having it directly managed by Shueisha can probably benefit them to cater to the global audience. I don't know how willing they are to purchase missing chapters, but I think it's got potentials.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
BGMaxie wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Neru was cool, and I'm sad to see it go.

I agree, it is BS that it got the axe. That being said any way to check its sales? I personally don't know how or how to measure if it is good or bad.

Neither Neru or Red Hood have gotten sales numbers in yet - their first volumes released this week so we won't have any real numbers until next week. That said, going off their placement in the Oricon Top 500 for this week, they most certainly aren't selling very well compared to other new series from this year.

Where do you check that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4