• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't recall Shen ever assaulting Jinguuji (ok, other than drugging him to give him a spectacular massage). After all, one of his skills is "Passive Perseverance." Sure, irl he'd be annoying af, but Jinguuji seems much less bothered by his continued efforts to woo him than the reviewer is. And Shen's never gone as far as the nun who tore off Tachibana's clothes and shamed him in front of a roomful of people, bringing him to his knees nearly in tears, which didn't even rate a mention. It just feels like the animosity toward Shen is out of proportion to what he's actually done compared to other characters' actions. And our dipshit duo barely notice him now that they pretty much know what his deal is. They don't seem to consider him a threat anymore, so I don't know why the reviews do. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

It was still implying that it was what was going to happen, and was pushed along by the fact he was gay. Although I do think he was very funny in episode 9 with his teasing and flirting.

Episode 9 in general was hilarious, especially the king speaking like the goddess as an opera, and the princess's personality opposing Jinguuji.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
meiam wrote:
What is it with isekai and slavery? Almost all of them end up touching on the subject at some point and they all seem to take the position that it's just a petty crime like burglary or something. Here Shen is 100% a slaver, and the main character just hang out with him like its nothing. At most they find him mildly annoying. I guess I should just be happy that the elf chief didn't fall madly in love with him and ask to be his love slave forever...

I mean, if we want to be realistic about it, slavery, in various forms, was a thing for most of humankind's history, and in various time periods and in various places in the world people had all sorts of attitudes to it. And even though slavery is quite universally accepted as a terrible, inhuman thing by most modern cultures, not every culture has the same really visceral sensitivity to the concept itself as, for example, the US. Before anyone misunderstands (oh, who am I kidding) I don't mean that the visceral sensitivity is a bad thing - it's just that not every culture has the same history with slavery and so their overall sensitivity to the concept of slavery in fiction is not going to be exactly the same.

And to be even more realistic about it: leaving cases like Fabiniku aside, slavery is a reeeeally common sexual/romantic fantasy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And in a fantasy setting it's easier to handwave away the unpleasant real-world implications.

The problem isn't the way the character in the fantasy world react to it, the problem is the way the people who were raised in the real world reacting to it like its no big deal. Are we suppose to see the main character themselves as okay with slavery? Or is it just that the demographic who read isekai LN happen to be pretty cool with the concept? It's just weird how often the subject shows up and how its always merely frowned upon, if its not just seen as a great way to get some fan service.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The problem isn't the way the character in the fantasy world react to it, the problem is the way the people who were raised in the real world reacting to it like its no big deal. Are we suppose to see the main character themselves as okay with slavery? Or is it just that the demographic who read isekai LN happen to be pretty cool with the concept?

That's what I was trying to get at - not that the real-life characters or the audience are okay with slavery, as such, but that the creators/intended audience just don't feel as uncomfortable with slavery showing up in a fictional story and being treated in a light-hearted way as people from cultures where people spend a lot more time discussing slavery, being taught about slavery, etc. And so the characters themselves are not making a huge deal out of it, because they're not expected to. (I mean, they're characters, written by an author who doesn't think particularly deep about the slavery in their story.)

meiam wrote:
It's just weird how often the subject shows up and how its always merely frowned upon, if its not just seen as a great way to get some fan service.

Well, I'm not a huge LN connoisseur so I can't talk about that (btw, Fabiniku is not based on a LN), but honestly I think that as far as isekai goes it's just the abovementioned relative nonchalance toward the concept mixed with the kink and also the sort of wishfulfilment fantasy of being That Guy who gets all the hot girls he "deserves" and even has this ultimate power over them, and yet is nice to them and doesn't abuse them, proving how great he is. It's basically a wishfulfilment fantasy trope/template.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It was still implying that it was what was going to happen, and was pushed along by the fact he was gay.

I'll agree that in the beginning the first half of that is true, but I didn't feel that his being gay was presented as why he's sketchy (the actual humor was in Jinguuji's obliviousness). More his indifference to the ethics of trading human merchandise, his assassination skill set, his tagging along uninvited and drugging their food are the things that made him sketchy, as they would any character. If he actually had been interested in giving Tachibana a massage instead, he'd have been just as suspicious and threatening early on, and the scenes could've been written essentially the same.

Even Jinguuji is more gay-panicked about his feelings for Tachibana than he is about Shen, who he seems to view as merely an unwelcome annoyance. Shen's like a gnat buzzing around your head that does no harm but drives you nuts because it's always there and won't be shooed off.

If gay characters were all still villainous, or if all characters behaving like Shen were gay, I'd be grinding my teeth the way I do whenever the crossdressing or trans 5 -o'clock shadowed simpering stereotypes show up. But I think we've had enough gay and lesbian representation of characters who aren't evil or predatory by now that the ones who are can be (depending on how it's presented) perceived as neutrally as we do their straight counterparts.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'll agree that in the beginning the first half of that is true, but I didn't feel that his being gay was presented as why he's sketchy (the actual humor was in Jinguuji's obliviousness). More his indifference to the ethics of trading human merchandise, his assassination skill set, his tagging along uninvited and drugging their food are the things that made him sketchy, as they would any character. If he actually had been interested in giving Tachibana a massage instead, he'd have been just as suspicious and threatening early on, and the scenes could've been written essentially the same.

Even Jinguuji is more gay-panicked about his feelings for Tachibana than he is about Shen, who he seems to view as merely an unwelcome annoyance. Shen's like a gnat buzzing around your head that does no harm but drives you nuts because it's always there and won't be shooed off.

If gay characters were all still villainous, or if all characters behaving like Shen were gay, I'd be grinding my teeth the way I do whenever the crossdressing or trans 5 -o'clock shadowed simpering stereotypes show up. But I think we've had enough gay and lesbian representation of characters who aren't evil or predatory by now that the ones who are can be (depending on how it's presented) perceived as neutrally as we do their straight counterparts.

It would be great if we could say the trope is gone, but I could probably still point to other modern anime that show gay guys in a regressive predatory light. And also taking into account Tachibana's reaction to figuring out he is gay. But following into the next episode where he doesn't go past propositioning Jinguuji and teasing Tachibana in fighting over Jinguuji's attention.

The slave thing is still a sore spot, and that whole part of his introduction does feel weird, with how Jinguuji should feel the smallest guilt for destroying his operation.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The slave thing is still a sore spot, and that whole part of his introduction does feel weird, with how Jinguuji should feel the smallest guilt for destroying his operation.

It's also a weird inclusion considering we now know his actual profession is being a spy for the royal family's intelligence team. I get trading being a cover but did his side hustle need to be slave trading?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this anime a lot, it's simply hilarious and the chemistry between the protagonists is great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I love how the citizens weren't having the princess' rebellion until she came out with Tachibana as idols to turn them all into rampaging idol simps. Tachibana looked good in that short skirt.

So the maid is totally Kalm, right? It looks like she's trying to corrupt Tachibana's relationship with Jinguuji.

I see Jinguuji has been putting people into the ground for Tachibana for a long time.

It was nice to see Schwartz-kun again. He always makes any episode 10x more hilarious. And his relationship with Lucius has come a long way too. And he even got his sword back! And it now strips people.

Mad props to Schwa-kun for actually standing up to Jinguuji and telling it like it is when Jinguuji is clearly jealous and missing Tachibana...even when Jinguuji looks like he's about to murder him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he awkwardly dawdled into his audience with the king, only to immediately perk up upon seeing somebody he recognized like it's the first day of middle school.

Kudos for that perfect description. Very Happy

I don't think Kalm is trying to brainwash Tachibana so much as just preying on his insecurities to steer him away from Jinguuji. The goal seems to be separating him from his "weapon" or making him take permanent refuge in "more pleasant dreams," rather than making him evil or something. I wonder if the Goddess will stick her fingers in things since she's taken notice.
Zahooee
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I call this a farce, but considering what a real life military is pulling right now, maybe this show really does have its finger on the pulse.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but, you do know that those posters aren’t anything official, and that they were personally commissioned by a single recruiter, right?

I mean…you could have posted a link to an article rather than a single misleading image.

Just sayin’.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:53 am Reply with quote
Zahooee wrote:
Quote:
Well, I call this a farce, but considering what a real life military is pulling right now, maybe this show really does have its finger on the pulse.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but, you do know that those posters aren’t anything official, and that they were personally commissioned by a single recruiter, right?

I mean…you could have posted a link to an article rather than a single misleading image.

Just sayin’.

Unless I missed a post that was edited, I think you’re responding to the wrong thread.
Zahooee
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:50 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Zahooee wrote:
Quote:

Just sayin’.

Unless I missed a post that was edited, I think you’re responding to the wrong thread.

My apologies, as I wasn't very clear.

I was commenting on the most current review this thread is linked to, not a previous post.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was that misleading. Just because the origin was an individual, rather than the upper brass, doesn't mean the tactic isn't approved, since the guy is a forward-facing official recruiter, his superiors are aware of it, and they haven't stopped him.

But if you prefer "official" then look no further than the JSDF recruiting drives.

https://soranews24.com/2016/10/24/japans-ministry-of-defense-unleashes-the-power-of-moe-marketing/

https://twitter.com/migs81/status/511369721363460096/photo/1

https://twitter.com/MichaelTCucek/status/788481980430098432

https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/self-defense-forces-enlist-anime-boys-to-try-to-attract-new-human-recruits
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admire how committed Kalm was to being a perfect maid that she actually put in the work to make sure her plan happened. Although it must've felt very cathartic to knock the princess out. That "blegh" was hilarious.

That giant rabbit Mecha is so on-brand for this kingdom and this show.

Lucius proving that even the most masculine/boyish girls can't resist something cute.

Schwa-kun really had to carry the fight against Mehpon on his back because Jinguuji basically gives him all the work because he's lost his powers (because of the divide between him and Tachibana), but at least it lets Schwa-kun show off how OP he is now.

I wasn't expecting Tachibana to hijack the robot and become the final boss, but I guess it puts her relationship with Jinguuji to the forefront of the finale. I can understand why she feels so jealous and insecure, and not even Jinguuji could give her genuine praise when asked.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
While I fully expect Tachibana to try to write off his rant as being mind controlled, I think it was fairly clear (of course I could have misunderstood) that he shook off the control when we saw the little lightning zaps on his crest. Unless that was the Goddess playing her hand. Same outcome, though.

What's sad is that Jinguuji has praised him - in his thoughts, but never out loud. But I'm sure he'll have a heartfelt outpouring of his feelings, i.e., why he liked Tachibana as a friend all these years or something along those lines. I can envision him not dodging the incoming blow because he's sure Tachibana would never hurt him, and praising his kindness, among other things. And then they'll both deny it once the crisis is over, probably (see first para).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4