• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:05 am Reply with quote
plot wise, i consider the ln on the top 10 percentile of Isekai stories.

the anime is obviously missing budget but otherwise does a decent job of adapting the story considering that, the biggest question is if this season will only adapt the first 2 novels for better pacing or the first 3 for a better season ending.

the setting feels like utawarerumono but adding an otome game paint job to it ( and pay 2 win).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
plot wise, i consider the ln on the top 10 percentile of Isekai stories.

the anime is obviously missing budget but otherwise does a decent job of adapting the story considering that, the biggest question is if this season will only adapt the first 2 novels for better pacing or the first 3 for a better season ending.

the setting feels like utawarerumono but adding an otome game paint job to it ( and pay 2 win).

Unless this already has a second cour planned I can't imagine them not adapting vol 3 it just wouldn't make sense not to considering its the perfect stopping point.
TheWa_rudo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:08 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
After reading the first 5 translated novels I've become a real fan of this series. It's generally just really funny.

The anime so far is just OK. Not terrible but not especially great either. Considering the pacing I'd say they are doing pretty good and while the animation isn't amazing it's at least been serviceable so far but I guess we'll see what happens next week.

One issue with the pacing is the fact that some details from the novel have been skimmed over. For one thing despite how it seems in the anime, the kingdom isn't really misandrist. While women do generally hold more power, among the highest-ranking nobles men still run the show which is why the prince and his entourage don't have to deal with the same nonsense Leon does.

It's not just that they run the show. spoiler[But that a temporary system was designed so that the nobles from a certain levels would act in a self destructing manner so that can used to purge them later.]
spoiler[And the nobles spared from the future purge's work is to not allow that to affect the lower classes.]

TLDR: spoiler[Too many nobles in the kingdom and that's causing a financial straing, a purge is needed, but it would be bad to simply destroy them without justification, so they create laws that will encourage behavior that can be used as excuse to destroy them later.]
TheWa_rudo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:

Side not: It's nice that they adapted one of the plot point that got mention in one of the side story. spoiler[The fact that Leon and Angelica are destined to be with each other. Like in the original plotline, Angelica would get banished by her family for her rash action and have to marry an "ugly" lord with bad personality. Well it turned out that "ugly" lord is the original Leon who did have to go war, got a scar but became a war hero.]

Is this from one of the side-stories or WN?
I do kinda remember something like that, but I don't remember reading it in the LN.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
TheWa_rudo wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

Side not: It's nice that they adapted one of the plot point that got mention in one of the side story. spoiler[The fact that Leon and Angelica are destined to be with each other. Like in the original plotline, Angelica would get banished by her family for her rash action and have to marry an "ugly" lord with bad personality. Well it turned out that "ugly" lord is the original Leon who did have to go war, got a scar but became a war hero.]

Is this from one of the side-stories or WN?
I do kinda remember something like that, but I don't remember reading it in the LN.

I definitely don't remember it, unless it's from a later LN.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:15 am Reply with quote
it's not said outright, it's implications based.on information given around the series, including Marie's route/spin off.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about that regarding Angie’s fate in the game. It’s kind of sad they consider that a bad end for her but that reflects the values of Holfort I suppose.

I watched 2 episodes then decided to check out the manga then proceeded to read the novels up to the end of volume 5. I love this ridiculous story, Leon, Lux, Livia and Angie and have come around on Marie. It was quite a page turner.

The light novel art and the manga are great but the anime’s art direction, flat look and lack of animation is really unfortunate. The first four battles in the duel really emphasized the lack of animation. At least the pacing is good so far. I think they’ll adapt to the end of volume 3 and hopefully not skip anything significant.
Zefram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
"I think Marie's biggest mistake is that she thinks once she reaches the “ending” of the game, it's happily ever after for her. But realistically, once she reaches that point, she'll no longer be able to steal Olivia's lines and act like her. Perhaps it's only then that the mask will come off and her harem will be able to break free of her manipulations."

I just started laughing at this, Marie doesn't know what's going to hit her when she succeeds in her harem route!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
I just started laughing at this, Marie doesn't know what's going to hit her when she succeeds in her harem route!

Delicious karma there. There is no choosing wisely, she just takes all the apples as is.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did I hear that right? Is Marie possibly Leon’s sister from back in Japan? The one who made him play thru the game for her?
Shion44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Wait, did I hear that right? Is Marie possibly Leon’s sister from back in Japan? The one who made him play thru the game for her?

spoiler[ In main storyline, yes, she is his lil sis. In side story, no, she just share similar background but not his exact lil sis. Yes, they will confront on each other being siblings but you'll have to wait.]
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
Basically, a large amount of the cast makes decisions to achieve a short term goal, then discovering that in the long term they have screwed themselves. Starting with Leon's stepmother trying to marry off Leon for money.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Leon is going to make so much money (and so many enemies) from this.

I'm wondering if this is actually the greatest issue that will come out of this situation.

These guys losing sort of represents a cataclysmic disaster for the nobles that bet "all their money" on them. This could literally means financial disaster.

The underdog winning is good for the book-makers and the few that bet on the underdog, but someone has to cover the losses of everyone else.

Most likely, the families of the prince and his entourage are going to have to do so.
And THEY are also going to have to face the wrath of the crowd that believed that they were the sure thing to bet on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Quote:
Leon is going to make so much money (and so many enemies) from this.

I'm wondering if this is actually the greatest issue that will come out of this situation.

These guys losing sort of represents a cataclysmic disaster for the nobles that bet "all their money" on them. This could literally means financial disaster.

I wouldn't reach that point. Most of them are students so "all their money" mean their allowance which is still a lot by sheer amount of people betting against them but not to the point of economic disaster
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
I was wondering about that regarding Angie’s fate in the game. It’s kind of sad they consider that a bad end for her but that reflects the values of Holfort I suppose.

If I remember correctly from the manga spoiler[he didn't just have a bad personality, he was abusive. So it wasn't just, "she's unhappy because she doesn't have the privileged life she expected", but a certifiable "bad end". Basically the awful fate that the villainess seems to get in otome games. Or at least the ones portraited in all these isekai villainess stories lol.
The manga also didn't mention if it was the original Leon or not, though it was implied considering the setup presented.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6