• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Passes Away at 67

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
RIP Shinzo Abe.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
I didn't like most of Abe's ideas (including the one of hosting nuclear weapons as deterrent for China) but recently he was one of the few high profile LDP members to push for full border reopenings.
He was the leader of the "other" LDP faction (that opposed Kishida's) so the political ramifications of his death will certainly change the Japanese politics, at least in the short term.

And no matter how you may dislike a person, being happy because he was killed is...questionable to say the least.
He was a nationalist (too much, for my tastes), but I guess certain people need to check what "fascist" really is.

Also, he didn't "pass away". He was murdered. Why the news title is written like that?

Largely how a lot of International news sites reported it. Japan has its own weirdly legal regulations in regards to things like this so other news sites have to follow them. Reports say he was struck in the chest and neck but that's it. Medical treatment could have continued for hours but they couldn't save him so he "passed." Attempted murder becomes murder.

Last edited by Amiantos on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

Largely how a lot of International news sites reported it. Japan has its own weirdly legal regulations in regards to things like this so other news sites have to follow them.

Not really sure about that... All the news sites in my country reported the news as "Former Japan PM Shinzo Abe murdered/killed".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Title should be changed. He didn't pass away. He was shot and killed, and/or assasinated.

Sad day.

Depending on whether he was still alive after he was wounded that would be the correct terminology but both can still be correct.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Amiantos wrote:

Largely how a lot of International news sites reported it. Japan has its own weirdly legal regulations in regards to things like this so other news sites have to follow them.

Not really sure about that... All the news sites in my country reported the news as "Former Japan PM Shinzo Abe murdered/killed".

Some JP new sources said he had no pulse at the site others didn't. It took a number of hours for the hospital he went to to confirm he was dead. It really varied on the source on how it was announced.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Isn't Anime News Network a leftist site? Moreover, championing equal rights and decency?

Abe was an absolute monster and ultranationalist. I don't know what people are mourning unless ignorant. A lot of anime with political leanings have made not-so-subtle jabs at him and his ideologies.

No matter what type of site we may or may not be, celebrating his death, as at least one removed post has done, is not acceptable.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
The Japanese Electoral System disproportionally favors rural areas with lower population in the election of MPs on both chambers. Even if LDP and Komeito only receive together 40% of votes, they can get 70% of the Diet.
Disproportionate vote counts have always been a problem in democratic elections and will continue to do so in an environment that champions tribal differences. Like I said, we need to change ourselves before we change the system. Votes alone won't accomplish that.
Zalis116 wrote:
No matter what type of site we may or may not be, celebrating his death, as at least one removed post has done, is not acceptable.
No matter what type of site you may or may not be, you have a duty to report the news in an impartial and objective manner free of partisan leanings. Otherwise, you leave a questionable impression on your readers.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
The Japanese Electoral System disproportionally favors rural areas with lower population in the election of MPs on both chambers. Even if LDP and Komeito only receive together 40% of votes, they can get 70% of the Diet.
Disproportionate vote counts have always been a problem in democratic elections and will continue to do so in an environment that champions tribal differences. Like I said, we need to change ourselves before we change the system. Votes alone won't accomplish that.

That's impossible, tribalism is human nature and thus cannot be changed.
Blazi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
How Shocking... no matter what your politics are this is a sad day for Japan, R.I.P Shinzo Abe...

But that gun, seriously? They made a gun just to get revenge on an ex Prime Minister? Unbelievable and disgusting behavior.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
Isn't Anime News Network a leftist site? Moreover, championing equal rights and decency?

Abe was an absolute monster and ultranationalist. I don't know what people are mourning unless ignorant. A lot of anime with political leanings have made not-so-subtle jabs at him and his ideologies.

Well nothing about my post was celebrating his death. I just think it’s fair people should be considerate when saying “rest in peace” or “condolences” to someone like this. For reference, the same guy that vehemently denied and tried to erase Japan’s WW2 crimes and the surviving victims.

When Koichi Sugiyama died not too long ago and you guys published an article, the comments were nothing but condemning him for the ideologies he took to heart - Abe’s own.

Last edited by cookiemanstah on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That's impossible, tribalism is human nature and thus cannot be changed.
Then what are people voting for?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Well nothing about my post was celebrating his death. I just think it’s fair people should be considerate when saying “rest in peace” or “condolences” to someone like this. For reference, the same guy that vehemently denied and tried to erase Japan’s WW2 crimes and the surviving victims.

When Koichi Sugiyama died not too long ago and you guys published an article, the comments were nothing but condemning him for the ideologies he took to heart - Abe’s own.

That's because compared to him, Shinzo was senselessly killed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Title should be changed. He didn't pass away. He was shot and killed, and/or assasinated.

Sad day.

Depending on whether he was still alive after he was wounded that would be the correct terminology but both can still be correct.

Saying he passed away is like saying he was "Climbing the Towering Stairway" from Ascendance of a Bookworm. We don't use passed away, to describe murder, killings, and assassinations. He was basically DOA at the hospital, even though they tried to resuscitate him.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Abe resigned, there was no point to this shooting at all even from a political standpoint and was beyond senseless.

He may have been "former" Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, but the amount of political influence he still had was considerable, so there was definitely sense from a political standpoint for someone to want to smoke him.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Pretty sure they're talking about my post where I just said it was hard to feel bad. Because I agree with you, the dude was an ultranationalist monster.

If anything maybe the moderators should keep an eye on the people who found a man like this "endearing," or maybe delete the posts that had some users using offensive slurs for trans people like I saw on a Transformers article for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6