• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mega Drive Mini 2 Console Reveals Next Slate of Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue

instant buy!
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I will be so cheesed if we don't get the Working Designs games on the US Genesis Mini 2.

Popful Mail is an all-time favorite.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
As someone who played the PS1 versions of the Lunar games, I'd (almost) definitely buy this to see what the original versions were like. Popful Mail sounds interesting from what I've heard about it. I really hope the US version of the console comes with those games since playing RPGs in a language I don't know means missing out on most of the story.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
At the time most of the Japanese titles appear to be specifically for the Japanese release. In particular I wouldn't get too excited about the LUNAR games and Popful Mail coming stateside.

The issue they will have is the remnants of Working Designs, currently Gaijinworks, has the licenses for those titles. It was temporarily relinquished when the GBA and PSP versions of LUNAR Silver Star were made, but for the Sega CD and PS1 ports (the PS1 games are ports of their original Saturn titles) of the LUNAR games it would up to Victor Ireland if they head to the Genesis 2. Same with Popful Mail.

We're getting Game Arts other Sega CD title Silpheed as GA themselves published it in the states.

I'm guessing that ultimately if Game Arts wanted to assert control over the LUNAR games and Popful Mail for a North American release they would be unable to use any of the assets that Working Designs created, and would thus have to re-translate from scratch. In a way that might be a good thing, considering the way Working Designs handled games polarized people considerably.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I'm guessing that ultimately if Game Arts wanted to assert control over the LUNAR games and Popful Mail for a North American release they would be unable to use any of the assets that Working Designs created, and would thus have to re-translate from scratch. In a way that might be a good thing, considering the way Working Designs handled games polarized people considerably.

Whose translation does the mobile app version of LUNAR use? The copyright is "SoMaGa, Inc.", and it's been out for 10 years.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:32 am Reply with quote
I can easily see final fight CD, Super Street Fighter II, Alien Solider, Fatal Fury 2 and Truxton making their way onto the NA version of the system. This is either due to licensing "cough working designs cough" to issues or how niche the rest of the games are to the west.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Borderite92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
2 other CD games I would like are the rpgs are Dark Wizard and Vay(had an app by SoMaGa). Lunar 2 has that unique save feature as where you need save points to make a save.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Borderite92 wrote:
Lunar 2 has that unique save feature as where you need save points to make a save.

think you mean you need to use experience points to save your game
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Borderite92 wrote:
Lunar 2 has that unique save feature as where you need save points to make a save.

I can't remember was that in the NA version only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Borderite92 wrote:

yup

Quote:
In what may be Working Designs' most infamous alteration to any of their games, the US release forces the player to pay a certain amount of Magic EXP (Hiro's level times 15) to save the game, and prevents saving entirely if the player doesn't have enough. (Quoth the manual: "We felt that this would make the game more challenging by making you, the player, decide if the necessity of a save was worth giving up valuable magic experience points.") None of this was in the Japanese version, and this "feature" was left out of the localized version of the game's PlayStation remake Eternal Blue Complete, with the official strategy guide acknowledging that "it was much more annoying than challenging."
Borderite92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Borderite92 wrote:

yup

Quote:
In what may be Working Designs' most infamous alteration to any of their games, the US release forces the player to pay a certain amount of Magic EXP (Hiro's level times 15) to save the game, and prevents saving entirely if the player doesn't have enough. (Quoth the manual: "We felt that this would make the game more challenging by making you, the player, decide if the necessity of a save was worth giving up valuable magic experience points.") None of this was in the Japanese version, and this "feature" was left out of the localized version of the game's PlayStation remake Eternal Blue Complete, with the official strategy guide acknowledging that "it was much more annoying than challenging."

I can only remember as it was harder to save late in the game!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:50 pm Reply with quote
yep I booted my Sega CD and "legit copy of lunar 2".. I'll never understand the localization changes working designs, did to the gameplay/mechanics that essentially broke some games. The only thing I've run across is/was to stop rentals? I mean the Sega CD wasn't a massive failure selling over 2 million units "not terrible for an add-on" but I never recall seeing any rental store growing up, renting out Sega CD games.

On topic.. While I do want one of these, the fact it's only being sold on amazon at 100$. You have to pay over 20$ for an import fee is a turn off. I'll wait and see what the final North American lineup is before making that choice, but I highly doubt I'll spend that much money on an mini console.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
yep I booted my Sega CD and "legit copy of lunar 2".. I'll never understand the localization changes working designs, did to the gameplay/mechanics that essentially broke some games. The only thing I've run across is/was to stop rentals? I mean the Sega CD wasn't a massive failure selling over 2 million units "not terrible for an add-on" but I never recall seeing any rental store growing up, renting out Sega CD games.

On topic.. While I do want one of these, the fact it's only being sold on amazon at 100$. You have to pay over 20$ for an import fee is a turn off. I'll wait and see what the final North American lineup is before making that choice, but I highly doubt I'll spend that much money on an mini console.

Yeah, the price thing has me second guessing it. I suppose it's comparable to the first one since that worked out to about $2 per game included, but something about paying three digits feels different for what it is. Throw in that this one is being sold through Amazon Japan and comes with added fees, unlike the last one, and now it's quite a bit more than the last one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1