• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FUUTO PI

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Great episode! Finally Shotaro and Philip will reveal the Evil Mastermind!
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
This series has been my surprise of the season. The designs and animation are quite consistent too but I'm kinda surprised how a series famous from being a tokusatsu have their characters more prominent in their human forms and not suits. Guess the marketing is not that big.

Kamen Rider generally don't spend most of their time in suits, one of the series' appeal is the pretty boy actors and most of the forms in Fuuto Pi are already in the original, so there aren't much to sell outside of resell/remake and maybe dopant figures.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
This was not the arc where I was expecting Extreme to make it's anime debut or for some actual lore building (Sonozaki kids as kids!) or the villains to reveal themselves...but it definitely made it a spectacular finish.

All's well that ends well..evil grandma went out on her own terms, Kuya is a decent guy, the bridal candidates ended up becoming friends. And the mystery of Tokime's connection with Bando and his group continues.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Digging the anime still. Sometimes I'm surprised by how Shotaro is used as comic relief considering he seems quite responsible and smart. The latter especially noted when sharing ideas with Philip
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Digging the anime still. Sometimes I'm surprised by how Shotaro is used as comic relief considering he seems quite responsible and smart. The latter especially noted when sharing ideas with Philip

Being half boiled will do that to a guy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Tokime was the Joker Dopant? Man, she and Shotaro were fated to meet and come together. Now I just want to see what her Dopant Form looked like.

I like how they twisted around who Brachiosaurus was because everyone assumed it was the super tough, burly, guy but it was really just a small kid. Mamoru isn't even an executive in the organization yet.

Dual Henshin! Nice!

Apparently the Reactor Dopant was supposed to be the first Dopant of the show but the suit was too complicated to get ready. So now it lives on in anime form!

Kind of wondering how they'll get out of this because it doesn't seem like their base forms have any chance against the major villains here.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Tokime was the Joker Dopant? Man, she and Shotaro were fated to meet and come together. Now I just want to see what her Dopant Form looked like.

I like how they twisted around who Brachiosaurus was because everyone assumed it was the super tough, burly, guy but it was really just a small kid. Mamoru isn't even an executive in the organization yet.

Dual Henshin! Nice!

Apparently the Reactor Dopant was supposed to be the first Dopant of the show but the suit was too complicated to get ready. So now it lives on in anime form!

Kind of wondering how they'll get out of this because it doesn't seem like their base forms have any chance against the major villains here.

Tokime having joker makes me wonder if the other W memory dopants will make a reappearance…

But speaking of movies spoiler[ W snd Accel both have another super form, Accel Booster and Cyclone Joker X-Treme has a gold mode. AB is already in the opening, so maybe we’ll get those ]
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue the 2nd case was also very Kamen Rider-y, though I think this time it's out of necessity since we're speeding towards the end of the plot.

The start of this episode and how it just sort of shotguns in the twist about Tokime's memory reinforced a notion I had about her "reintroduction" at the end of episode 3: in a longer series (or a manga) we would've seen the entirety of those cases play out, but because that's not how things work anymore, we have to lose at least 2 stories in order to hit deadline. I'm thinking 8 cases across 24 episodes would still be a bit of a chore, but allowing everything to simmer more slowly would be a net positive.

Quote:
speaking of movies

Oh, I think the movies aren't done speaking just yet. I've had a pet theory and considering how this show has gone through the W lore and we're now at Joker Dopants, I may finally have a deduction that's absolutely right.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 am Reply with quote
Of course Tokime's immediate hiding spot is her cleavage. Though Brachiosaurus is a lot creepier than I expected. Also looks like Tokime has some kind of internal powers.

New W Finisher! Of course it only did a little damage to reactor. And now they have an army of Road Dopants to worry about. I don't want to imagine how many people they've eaten...

Shotaro saves the day with good old fashioned detective work and a granddaughters' love for her grandpa!

I hope they bring the Xtreme memory on their trip to Shadow Fuuto this go-around.

Tokime saving Rentaro and posing heroically with JoJo pose from the Opening was awesome.

Oh I guess we also saw more of Scream Dopants' human form.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Of course Tokime's immediate hiding spot is her cleavage. Though Brachiosaurus is a lot creepier than I expected. Also looks like Tokime has some kind of internal powers.

Joker high dope ability; DRAMATIC CRITICAL HIT

Maybe.

MFrontier wrote:
Oh I guess we also saw more of Scream Dopants' human form.

Weird we saw more of her in the ending gag than in the show proper
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This might have been Tokime's best episode or arc as she feels more like her own character instead of the audience surrogate. Her first episodes seem to build up something especially with Shotaro but it felt like the plot rejected it. That or we can't have a couple? At least in the manga Shotaro clearly says he likes her but Philip gives a really vague reason for the rejection

Last edited by tintor2 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
This might have been Tokime's episode or arc as she feels more like her own character instead of the audience surrogate. Her first episodes seem to build up something especially with Shotaro but it felt like the plot rejected it. That or we can't have a couple? At least in the manga Shotaro clearly says he likes her but Philip gives a really vague reason for the rejection

Just watching the anime, it seems like Shotaro is holding back with Tokime because he knows how his relationship with other women have gone, especially of Tokime's type.

Although he probably has the best chance with Tokime of any of them.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:25 am Reply with quote
Gotta say it's a good cliffhanger but definitely rushed.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Count me as one more who quoted Akiko's catchphrase upon seeing Gunner A.

I'm a little less forgiving about the end. Yes, it makes sense for your audience surrogate to openly ask the main characters "hey, where can I find the rest of your adventures" but when a potential bellwether show like this does that without making any of the other material legally available except for 2 episodes (and maybe a movie, still? You'd get to see Foundation X's handiwork in action if so.) then you have dug your own hole.

There's always the potential that contract stuff got in the way, but it leaves me less optimism for how Geats will be handled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4