• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Purchases Anime Retailer Right Stuf

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
And people said this wasn't a monopoly.

**** sakes.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Also, a friend just pointed out that RightStuf currently serves as the actual distributor for Sentai's own store. So where does that leave them now?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
If the powers that be at RS, counting those that are the biggest voting share-holders, said "No" and tempted by the power of the great dollar, this would have not happened, I think.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
While i agree this is bad, i can't see much else being brought from here on. Sony own: Dubbing studio(Funimation), streaming service (Crunchyroll) and now physical media seller (Right Stuff). Sentai, GKids, Discotek etc, would just be stuff they already have.

There is no reason why they can't sill sell over companies titles, it wouldn't be in their benefit to sell less stuff.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, Sony's Hollywood branch (Columbia, that is) is rather lagging behind its competitors. So I guess they'd at least want to consolidate their dominance in this part of entertainment industry called.... anime Wink

Aresef wrote:
But in just the span of a few years, Sony has consumed most of the anime industry in the US and internationally.

Not in SE Asia, yo Twisted Evil
....At least, not yet. And I hope I'm not jinxing it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I am...not liking this. I've been a RightStuf customer for over 15 years now, and have always had a great experience with them. The last thing I want is to see them gobbled up by a massive conglomerate.

Yeah, same here. It was kind of off putting to see Funimation quickly get wiped away as a brand and replaced by things like Crunchyroll Dubs. The FAQ says it'll be the same store, but with new branding, which, I don't know, just loses the charm of going to a niche retailer that has kept itself going for 35 years.
Aresef

Top Gun wrote:
I am...not liking this. I've been a RightStuf customer for over 15 years now, and have always had a great experience with them. The last thing I want is to see them gobbled up by a massive conglomerate.

Yeah, I've had affection for them going back more than 20 years, when I got into Boogiepop Phantom.

I said something like this around the time of Funimation's rebrand but it doesn't seem fair that a brand built not just on piracy but on exploiting fansubbers is now almost synonymous with anime as a whole.

Last edited by Aresef on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyberdraco

Top Gun wrote:
Also, a friend just pointed out that RightStuf currently serves as the actual distributor for Sentai's own store. So where does that leave them now?

The news article says that "Right Stuf will continue to sell products from different companies".
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
this is getting ridiculous nyo

Last edited by PipimiOden on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing it will be operated by them, but in a "We don't talk about it" way. The way the FAQ is written, they sure are careful to phrase it like it's a separate retailer, but it's awfully convenient that an unknown retailer just happens to be right there ready to pick it up from here. Better than dropping it entirely, I guess, but I can also see it negatively affecting sales because it's not a readily visible to customers.

I’m also guessing that it is operated by Rightstuf as well but both companies are probably not going to disclose because they have a “friendly image” to maintain. The target audience and market for 18+ material is much bigger today than it ever used to be so why wouldn’t Sony want to pass up on additional revenue? Who knows though.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

According to the faq
Quote:
Will Right Stuf sell only Crunchyroll products?

Right Stuf will continue to provide the same wide variety of products we have been offering for 35 years, with the exception of Erotica products.

But who knows if that'll change in the months/years to come
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I do not trust SONY at all with anime, considering how the love censoring anime style games. Also.... what erotica did RightStuff sell? I must have missed this.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

The news article says that "Right Stuf will continue to sell products from different companies".

I don't mean just selling them; I mean that RightStuf actually handles the packaging and shipping for all items placed through Sentai's website. If you order something from Sentai, what you get shipped will come from Grimes, IA (RightStuf's location) under a label like "Anime Distribution Center." RightStuf also selling Sentai's products in their own store is completely separate from that.

Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
I do not trust SONY at all with anime, considering how the love censoring anime style games. Also.... what erotica did RightStuff sell? I must have missed this.

RightStuf has sold hentai stuff for as long as I've been shopping there. Their physical catalogs used to have an adult section that you'd have to specifically unseal to see.

Last edited by Top Gun on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I’m with everyone else, I am not a fan. Especially as now all roads go through Crunchyroll, except erotic material which is on that sister site. No single company should have all that control.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Should you cancel your CR sub now? I admit I kept one for the convenience of airing programs to save money or space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15