• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:49 am Reply with quote
By the way, the part of the episode where Bon's backstory is explained originally happened between Fushi being kidnapped and arriving at the castle. I suppose they couldn't fit it in the last episode due to how it was paced. Though, I'd guess it left anime watchers with several unnecessary questions about Bon's motivations in the meantime.

It reminds me of how Tonari's backstory was delayed a few episodes to the detriment of the prison island arc. At least Bon didn't come off as an awful person while his backstory was delayed. He has an annoying personality, but that's no different from the manga.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That flashback to when Bon finally laid eyes on Fushi, and we see that the spirits of his companions have been with Fushi this entire time, walking alongside him during this strange and sad endless life of his? That should have been a total gut-punch moment for us, a visual that would be seared onto our hearts after all of the time we've spent with this show.

Well, it was a total gut punch for me.

I’m not sure why the visuals don’t bother me. They just . . . don’t. I mean, it was a complete dealbreaker for me with Lucifer/Biscuit Hammer but it never pulls me out of the story here.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
Episodes 4 and 5 were pretty decent pacing and production-wise. However, episode 5 in particular is kind of a mixed bag, since it displays To Your Eternity's biggest strengths and weakness at once.

Its biggest strength (well, at least for me) is Bon. Here we see why he works so well as a character, for as narcissistic and conceited as he is, he doesn't look down on anyone. You also can't help but feel bad for the guy when he asks Fushi if he would leave him if his friends came back to life and Fushi doesn't hesitate when he gives him a yes for an answer. Sure, Bon wants to use Fushi to make his own dream come true, but at the same time, whenever he told Fushi to open up about his worries with him, or when he told him he'd provide him a new world where he can be happy, you could tell Bon's words were sincere, cause at the of the day, he's a genuinely kind person who cares about Fushi.

As for Fushi being able to revive the dead... *sigh*

I don't have anything against reviving dead characters, but when your show is specifically about the fragility and finiteness of life? Yeah, we have a problem. This moment, to me, marks the beginning of the downfall of To Your Eternity. This doesn't mean it's all bad from now on. In fact, we have a lot of great moments in store. But what used to be a story I loved is now a story I just kind of like. It gets messy.

And talking about messy, the way the story handles LGBT themes leaves a lot to be desired. I'd describe its approach as empathetic, but ultimately ignorant, and here's where it started becoming apparent. At first, it looked like we had a cute gay romance subplot between Todo and Bon, but then it turns out that Todo is actually a woman who Bon thought was a man because... she was fat? Okay? And we see everyone being very accepting of gay relationships, but we see no actual gay relationships in the show.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
Glad I’m not the only one that has a problem with Pocoa. She is as jarring a character as I’ve seen in any recent anime, neither cute nor funny, just shrill and irritating.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:51 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I almost think the anime would have benefited from some meaningful anime-only content to pad out the big reveals. I feel like spoiler[Tonari's death] or the scene when spoiler[Fushi transforms into Tonari] would have been a better stopping point for an episode.

I feel like you don't really need new scenes to pad out the big reveals, but you do need to give scenes time to breathe. It feels like this anime is moving from scene to scene with no consideration of the mood it's trying to establish, being more concerned with conveying information rather than emotion

It feels that way because it is. This anime has dropped from being something I look forward to...to something I almost forget to even bother with.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
Kahaku might be creepy (genes?) but I think he is the only character so far who did not mean I'd a relationship regardless Fushi's chosen sex. How sad[/u]
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say, Bonnie is made to be such super annoying character that no amount of sob background story and his attempts to change, would make me like that guy.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
"I'm loving this arc so much. Bon looked as a cartoonishly stupid and egoistical villain but it turns out he's actually a pretty nice guy? And complex enough to have an internal understandabñe conflict that makes him do bad things nonetheless! Also love his entire goofy family, sure it goes against the show's usual tone but that makes them more memorable. Let's look at the reviews and opinions in ANN..."
I mean, I did expect to be in the minority here but it's still funny lol.

About Bon's circle I still have a couple of highlights:
-his family is shown as funny and loving, but what his mom did to him after showing some interesr in some girl and how a repeat doesn't seen to be off the table is pretty fucked up
-I wonder if Bon knew about Todo from the start? A human chair seemed like par for the course for a cartoon narcissist, but after learning this much about Bon the needless humilliation this seems out of character and the way he approached Todo at first sight offering the job is suspicious. Maybe he knew who she was and came up with this arrangement to stay close to her while avoiding any backlash from his mom?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
^ I liked Bon himself too. It took me a while, for sure, but he grew to be the best thing about this season yet, with how silly he can be but also internally complex in a way. It's pretty neat to me that on seeing that his brother gets crown priority because he's helpful to people, Bon's attempt is to get Fushi to... help as many people as possible with food and money while spreading his name. It's a self-centered goal that goes through helping as many people as possible, and I think that explains why he has so many followers in the story - they all know he's a good guy deep down, even when he doesn't seem like a particularly nice person
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
Fushi's prison break only ever looked either goofy or cheap, when it needed to look nothing short of mythic.

The anime really is missing the sense of wonder that pours out of every page of the manga. Such a shame Sad
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
The supposed twist of Todo getting skinny is easy to guess since the whole time they were imprisoned, the camera never allowed the audience to see her (plus we were shown that she gives away some of her food to Bon and Chabo). And with Bon's childhood flashback of crushing on the 'ghost girl doing embroidery', the whole thing is a dead giveaway.

I personally think this love story is framed more as that of 'finding a lost love' instead of 'guy liking girl after transformation' but all that said, it does leave a bitter taste that Bon could only appreciate Todo in a romantic light once she's become a conventional beauty. I wish TYE didn't go that route, but oh well...
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(she even gets to use her feminine name again, now that she has an “acceptable” figure for it).

Isn't it because "Todo" is supposed to be dead? Though I agree with all the other criticisms...I swear she somehow got taller, too. I was legitimately wondering if a lot of time was supposed to have passed that I missed the memo on when I saw her. I came to like Bon himself, but this romantic subplot was really fumbled.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea that Fushi can be to Eko what March was to him. Though I was pretty annoyed when it turned out Fushi had her eat with those filthy hands and then washed her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm fully aware this is a really stupid mom-question here (jeez, have you even been watching any of this?). But what do the black sea urchin splotches Fushi sees around people mean? Vs the pink and yellow light bubbles he sees from others, like Messar? Does he foresee their deaths or that they won't/can't die? When/why/how did he acquire this power?

I only really remember noticing them this season, but they seemed to come out of the blue. Yet I also seem to have a vague memory that he saw them when fighting the bear in the first season, though I might be confusing that with the "stimulation" fur ripples.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:44 am Reply with quote
^ Black spikes are pain. The white bubbles are feelings of love/affection. That one dude doesn't get the black spikes even when he dislocates his arm because he apparently has CIPA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2