• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:08 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

I've been reading your reviews for years, and your hatred of CG anime all but radiates from your writing.

lol sure

Trigun Stampede preview wrote:
this first episode makes phenomenal use of its medium, delivering not just some of the best character animation Studio Orange has produced but even creating visuals I never thought I'd see in a TV anime. The opening sequence of Vash and Knives' escape pod hurtling through a sea of exploding space debris is thrilling in a way I've only experienced with the best ship battles in Star Wars

Quote:
that aforementioned phenomenal animation, bridging the gap between high-flying action and zany slapstick without ever missing a beat. Characters are expressive, capable of both subtle facial expressions and exaggerated physical comedy in equal measure, and it keeps the whole premiere moving with infectious energy.

Just a seething, barely restrained hatred right there. You got me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Grace of Gods S2 - more of the same, so no complaints here. I'm not sure how big the city/town is, but it seems odd to open another branch in another town before a second in another part of the town considering how busy they are.

Campfire cooking - looks like an enjoyable fantasy cooking show. Need to see how much it leans in to cooking or adventuring to see how much I'll stick with it
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not watching any show this season, not because of the reviews but for personal reasons, I want to dig through my backlog.

Seeing Nick Dupree's review of Kaina did not surprise me in the slightest because I think he has mid taste. He very obviously did not see Levius or Drifting Dragons, and Ajin was spectacular with Polygon Pictures handling everything.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi all, Kim Morrissy here. The premieres are winding down now, hope you all found some good shows to enjoy!

Since I juggle a lot of different tasks here at ANN, I don't normally contribute much to the Preview Guide directly, but I thought I'd post a second opinion on Onimai here, in case any of you were interested in seeing a different take from the other reviewers this time around. This is copypasted from my personal blog:

Quote:
This was my most hyped anime of the season! People who know my creative output will probably say it’s just on-brand for me to like the little sister show, but for me the genre was secondary to the fact that the Mushoku Tensei team is working on this. Shingo Fujii’s been on my radar ever since I saw his Precure action animation years ago, so of course I was going to tune in for his series directorial debut.

And the production did not disappoint! Call it cursed, but I was really impressed at how this anime managed to convey the protagonist’s morbid and erotic fascination with their new body without ever resorting to the obvious fanservice shots. The character animation adds a lot of nuance to the visual storytelling; the first episode makes liberal use of long distance shots, a challenge for 2D animation because the characters’ features and movements almost inevitably lose detail. Here, though, you can see every subtle movement from a long distance, which lends a sort of voyeuristic feel to the direction. That’s probably why the content might seem so off-putting despite not actually showing much nudity, but since I’m desensitised to that side of anime culture, I’m just left admiring the technical ability involved in creating this.

On the narrative front, I think it’s neat how the action starts after the genderbending has occurred instead of establishing the main character’s personality and attitude to their gender first. This opens up the story to a wider range of possible interpretations, including a transgender reading where the implication is that the protagonist identified with the female gender all along but only realises this because the opportunity fell into their lap. I am actually not that much of a fan of genderbending stories in general because they make it really obvious how the genderbender character is supposed to feel about their situation, but the ambiguity here makes the story more interesting. Also, isn’t becoming the little sister such a neat twist on a played-out character trope?
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I gave Kubo a shot due to how hyped it was by manga readers and yea I need to agree with the reviews saying it was boring. The first ep was nothing but waifu baiting with a blank self insert mc. Nor did I really find anything that funny outside the first part with the yearbook. Though that then got old after the 50th joke about this guy somehow being literally invisible to people in a setting that doesn't seem to have any supernatural aspect to it. At least the Angel Next Door had a somewhat better male lead
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyokou Suiri: Still charming. Kotoko's still great and unfairly neglected by her hypertsundere BF. I'm looking forward to the new material.

Ningen Fushin: The budget's looking extra-threadbare in a few moments of episode 2. The rest is fine, with a nice balance between a natural rapport and trust issues.

Ayakashi Triangle: It's a shame that it's censored. At least everything else is fine.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Ningen Fushin: The budget's looking extra-threadbare in a few moments of episode 2. The rest is fine, with a nice balance between a natural rapport and trust issues.

Agreed. I was impressed by how deeply it delved into the trust issues that are often overlooked in FRPG-styled adventure party assemblies. Such a shame that it looks so mediocre.

Magical Revolution: If I wasn't already won over by ep 1, ep 2 would have won me over. This is looking more and more like the top new series of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:55 am Reply with quote
After Ep2 of Ningen Fushin I am interested to see where they go with exploring the dynamics of hurting people moving beyond that to form connections with others and heal. I initially thought it would be Shield Hero+3 but now it's looking like an enjoyable and thoughtful drama...

Also, about Ayashiki Triangle, holy heck did that take a turn. Got an ironic belly laugh that the ultimate technique to shake an opponent's concentration and win a "fight" is to reverse their gender... Confused I like fanservice but Passu...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:12 am Reply with quote
Guess it's time for another round of CG controversy. The worst I can say about Kaina's animation is it's sort of underutilized; even though it's not hand-drawn, it's still designed around limited animation, and not very dynamic. It does look sort of flat and dreary overall, but as a depiction of a barren and seemingly dying world, that makes sense. Plot-wise, having seen the next two or three episodes back at CRX last year, it will remain mostly focused on worldbuilding for the time being; for spoilery details, you can look up the review on here.

So far, by my standards, I've got a pretty long watchlist--besides Kaina, there's Bofuri (haven't started season 2 yet, but unless its quality dropped off a cliff between seasons, it's a safe bet), Trigun, Ice Guy, and Magical Revolution. Episode 2 of that last one will make it hard to beat; if Witch from Mercury launching with a million Utena references and a gay engagement wasn't enough in-your-face yuri energy, well, this show has you covered. Also explains more about the "revolution" part of the title, and has the world's funniest magic teakettle.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
This show doesn't look good, and I am somebody who's plenty open-minded about CG television anime.

I've been reading your reviews for years, and your hatred of CG anime all but radiates from your writing.

Imagine tossing your energy into reading reviews of a reviewer who has takes you don't like. For years. Laughing
leetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
leetailor wrote:
"Arrhythmia", "Eurythmics"

lmao poor girl is even getting bullied by the reviewers ;_;

The real reason for that is because I wrote the review on an airplane and couldn't quite remember her name, so I decided to make a joke of it instead of trying and getting it wrong.

That makes sense, it was a good call :)
timber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:11 pm Reply with quote
After viewing most of first episodes, there are surprisingly few titles I would discard directly, but on the other hand compared to the fall season, no title really stands out.

I am somewhat intrigued thought by the world of "Kaina of the Great Snow Sea". I can already tell though that it is not a "post apocalyptic Earth" as it seems far to small to be Earth. Given the author, my guess is that it's some satellite (possibly artificial) colonized/build eons ago by mankind in the "Knights of Sidonia" universe.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Got an ironic belly laugh that the ultimate technique to shake an opponent's concentration and win a "fight" is to reverse their gender... Confused

Naruto's "Sexy Jutsu"?

Is there an ETA for when the Weekly Review poll goes up yet? I don't know how much is left to debut, and unless the poll is linked in here, I often miss it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Poll will be up tomorrow at 9am ET and go until midnight, Monday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Are there any other series that haven't launched yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21