• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skip and Loafer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quite interesting.

The show is actually not about how the 2 leads fall for each other but how the FLead affects other people lives and help them to see life in a different way, the romance it's actually a sub plot.

At the same time she herself learns from those who she helps to improve I don't think I have seen anything like this before...

Or, to be precise, in a non competitive environment, a good example would be Baby Steps, Ei-chan play other players and during the competition both players improve and learn from each other, this is normal in well written sports Manga like Blue Lock or Eyeshield 21.

This is the same thing, but here its more "calm" and not competitive and low stakes and it works quite well, kudos to the writer.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mitsumi is the gift that keeps on giving. I can't get enough of how she optimistically and passionately goes through life and perserveres no matter her stumbles, while being such a caring and endearing goofball.

I'm glad they resolved any possible drama with Shima pretty quick. I am curious about what happened with his mom though. Also Mitsumi thinking about why she feels tingly about that pinky swear...

Also nice to see Mitsumi effecting someone positively like Takamine. And a possible ship between Takamine and Segawa?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The show is actually not about how the 2 leads fall for each other but how the FLead affects other people lives and help them to see life in a different way, the romance it's actually a sub plot.

If I had to find/choose a slight criticism of this series so far, it would be how the OP really tries to give the romance angle more space than it needs.

This show continues to be a soothing delight to my week. Very Happy
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Mitsumi is the gift that keeps on giving. I can't get enough of how she optimistically and passionately goes through life and perserveres no matter her stumbles, while being such a caring and endearing goofball.

We could all learn something from her optimistic outlook I think. She's a bit of a disaster, but it doesn't stop her for a moment. She fully commits to everything she does, and expects it to work out. These three qualities more than anything else (other than luck, which she seems generally short on) are the keys to success.

And look, two people just talking stuff out! Mistumi recognising drama-sempai's attempted manipulation for what it was, stressing a little about what to do with it and ultimately opting for complete honesty was all the good feels. As was Shima's response. He could be forgiven for being hurt, or angry. But he returns Mitsumi's good faith and openness with some of his own. Maybe it's all candyfloss in anime form, but we need some of that between our doses of WfM and Birdy Wing.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 am Reply with quote
I think they had me in the opening when Shima and Mitsumi dance together. Thats just so endearing, I love it.
I love that Mitsumi is insecure, but not timid. She wants to achieve a goal, but also wants to have fun along the way. Thats a sweet sentiment i think more of us need to remember in our lives. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
Agreed, also, having to note down nearly every single minute in a notebook in order to fit everything in there planning wise and not waste any time on unnecessary things sounds like a horribly exhausting way to live. Having goals and maintaining discipline is a good thing, but I can only imagine that living like that will turn you into an emotional wreck sooner or later.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
I am not kidding when I say that I got through yesterday because I knew I could watch Skip and Loafer today.

100% in agreement. Very Happy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to finally get the Mika spotlight episode. She's a surprisingly relatable character and it's nice to see her and Mitsumi genuinely become friends.

Also, Kurume is my spirit animal.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The chapter this episode is adapting is one of my favorites from the source manga because it does what many works don't bother to do: give the mean girl a reason for her behavior.

Same, the source chapter is a memorable favorite that pops into my head when I think of this series. It's like you feel bad that Egashira, from a young age, has felt the need to change herself based on societal standards/experiences, whether at school, home, or from magazines or other media. At the same time, it's kind of of uplifting to have someone choose a goal while younger and follow through with it through hard work and self-discipline(though the tiny lunches may not be healthy? I'm not a nutritionist.).

This is 5 weeks now of this show giving me a big dumb smile for its entire runtime. Great stuff.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
This show is great!

The art style totally fits it's light-hearted feel good gentle positivity nature!

I look forward to it every week! A real gem in a season to compliment the likes of Oshi No Ko and Hell's Paradise.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
I think they had me in the opening when Shima and Mitsumi dance together.

It reminds me of the brief pair dance in the OP of Overman King Gainer, oddly enough (not the Monkey dancing Wink). I like it too.
olgita

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 is my favourite so far. The problems these kids're facing are very beliveable and realistic for their age, and they're representing them beautifully. One of my favourite shows this season!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sooo... why are people saying Egashira is a "bad girl"?

She hasn't done anything special one way or the other, she likes Shima and has done some super low key social engineering to get close to him but nothing special.

I was a little clueless with her conversation with Misaki about how she has been mean to her... when?

We as audience can note her jealousy, but its something other characters don't know nor she has done anything special yet...

Dunno, I think there is cultural thingy goin on here because I don't see her being anything different than you average HS girl.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
I just had to post this screenshot. The 2 posters gave me quite a chuckle.

I get a lot of Kimi ni Todoke vibes in this show, although Mitsumi and Sosuke aren't as self-deluding as Sawako and Shota. Four really decent characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:41 am Reply with quote
It's a pretty wild juxtaposition to be watching both GWitch and this series each week, where the former has HS students piloting giant weapons and not being able to communicate effectively(for many reasons), while here we have these two cinnamon buns stumble, but are eventually able to be honest about their feelings and mend a potential rift before it grows too big. Really heartwarming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5