• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skip and Loafer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Most of the episode I though this was going to be easily the worst of the show, with the usual non sense of character not taking 2 minutes to just clear something that's obviously a pointless misunderstanding. But, nah, they just masterfully resolve everything quickly with no big drama. Once again the story realize that having regular human being for character is far more interesting than the usual inconsistent puppet most rom com have.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
I just had to post this screenshot. The 2 posters gave me quite a chuckle.

So Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" x Man with a Mission, and Blues Brothers x Super Mario movie? Laughing Thanks for the shot, since I didn't notice it before.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Some rare tension in our fluffy little comedy about our earnest dork and her labrador puppy of a best friend!

Fumi is still amazing. She's not on screen a whole lot, but her influence in driving the story remains significant, and just really heartwarming. She's such a great long distance friend.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
A misunderstanding like this could be blown up and stretched out over two or three episodes in a lesser rom com. I'm glad that they skip the cheap drama here and allow the characters to grow and support each other in a more down-to-earth way.

This show just hasn't missed up to this point. Easily my favorite of spring so far.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Fumi-chan getting her own shot at love!

It was nice to see Mitsumi and Shima be more honest with each other and Shima unpack a bit more of his situation and the meaning behind him being that real with Mitsumi compared to his other friends (especially female). The pangs of first love are always so adorable, especially on Mitsumi.

Also a nice supportive Mika moment!
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:21 pm Reply with quote
So I am surprised this show hasn't had a English dub yet. You suppose that is because of the trans character and they are having casting issues here, in that they want a actual trans person to voice this character?
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:42 am Reply with quote
Dam this episode, a tale of two episodes that is so dam sure. Everything with Mitsumi and the girls, is very light hearted and wholesome.

But almost everything with Sosuke was dark and depressing. We know for sure his family life is not good and something we don't want to know about, I assume he has a dead mom. And am I the only who thought that girl was going to push him off the bridge, and that girl defiantly needs rehab, I don't know if is alcohol or drugs or both, she defiantly on something.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Wait... the aunt is trans?

Was this mentioned before or it was something lost in translation or I was just not putting attention?
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yup and that is my theory on why this does not have a dub or at least not yet.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Wait... the aunt is trans?

Was this mentioned before or it was something lost in translation or I was just not putting attention?

In one of the earlier episodes (second?), when Iwakura is sleep deprived on the train with Nao, there are people whispering about how masculine Nao looks, and Iwakura picks up on it and cheers Nao up changing the subject. They hadn't explicitly mentioned it so far, but it's been fairly obvious from episode 1, imo
Blortle

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Yup and that is my theory on why this does not have a dub or at least not yet.

It hasn't been simul-dubbed (and who cares about that?) because there's no larger interest in it. But that's a whole other rant about how terrible and narrowly focused I find the western/American anime and manga fandom to be (in short: action stuff, especially Weekly Shounen Jump, or harem romcoms) which is reflected on the types of series that get licensed or given consistent focus on places like here.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The first half of this episode adapted Chapter 16 of the manga, and I really love how they did the sound of Mitsumi eating watermelon over all the shots of her hometown. This series is such a treasure.

On a side note, I honestly forget how the Shima "drama" pans out in the manga, but it's kind of the least-interesting thing going on right now. I don't remember it bothering me this much while reading the chapters; I think a combination of the score and the scenes being animated is really making that sub-plot feel out of place compared to the rest of the series.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
On a side note, I honestly forget how the Shima "drama" pans out in the manga, but it's kind of the least-interesting thing going on right now. I don't remember it bothering me this much while reading the chapters; I think a combination of the score and the scenes being animated is really making that sub-plot feel out of place compared to the rest of the series.

Yeah I hope it gets resolved next episode and the story just moves on rather than something that gets dragged on forever. The show has been pretty good at flashing these usual drawn out over drama plot before quickly nipping them in the bud, so I'm hopping that's just what it's setting up.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
God I just have to say I absolutely ADORE how well Nao is portrayed. She's probably one of, if not the best portrayals of a trans woman in Anime. She's just allowed to exist and be herself, but it also doesn't shy from some of the microaggressions she encounters while living and how she's learned to deal with it. The fact that she had Mitsumi make sure her friends' parents knew she was trans and were comfortable with it was just another one of those things that so many trans people have to do to make ourselves smaller and less threatening to the people around us, I viscerally felt it when she just casually checked with Mitsumi to confirm that because she knows she has to and doesn't even blink about doing it.

Also, girl was willing to boymode to make sure her niece was OK. That's some DEDICATION. Maybe a bit too much if we're being honest since, y'know, stalking but her heart is at least in the right place.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nothing better than visiting your hometown and family! Just plenty of cozy, warm, nolstalgic vibes. And Fumi has a boyfriend!!!

It's so great how Mika has bonded with Nao and how she seems close to the friend group even without Mitsumi now.

Shima is still reeling from Ririka's guilt trip and his own insecurities and trauma's over acting and what happened...so of course his class is putting on a play for the school festival. I guess this will kind of force the issue of having to deal with his problems, and the way Mitsumi is so attentive to him now she might just be able to help him get through this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5