• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classroom For Heroes (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:11 am Reply with quote
Edited to remove a spoiler alert that I somehow put there instead of an Italicized title.

Blood- wrote:
Episode 2 Eh, I'm not sold on this one yet.

Welp, just to be clear, I'm not asking anybody to buy it. I like the show, but I wasn't entirely kidding when I said I was bemused by that fact. If I was going to go out of my way to recommend one of the new non-sequel shows, I'd recommend Monogatari: Malevolent Spirits.

And yes, I know Monogatari: Malevolent Spirits isn't a new non-sequel show, I just want more people to see it that badly. Then I'd definitely go Zom 100. Probably Reign of the Seven Spellblades next. Synduality...point being, there'd still be a fairly good number of new anime before I got to Classroom for Heroes if I was working down a list. I don't know what order I'd put them in, but at the very least I'd rather watch Gene of AI. Sweet Reincarnation. The Great Cleric. Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence.....and still others. I haven't even started thinking hard yet.

Along with sequel seasons, I am watching way too many anime this season.

The other thing is, next week's episode is apparently about another female harem candidate named Cu Chulainn, and if the show's just going to be about adding a new conquest every week, it's going to get boring quick. Let's see, they already have the Tsundere and someone who's probably intentionally reminiscent of Rem from Re:Zero. If I had to guess, I'd say next week's candidate is either going to be big boobed and sex crazed, a lolli, an animal girl, or Blade's little sister. And if it gets too ecchi with a lolli or a sister, I might just quietly walk away and pretend I never posted on this thread. If someone's going to love anime, they have to draw their own lines and not be too judgmental about what other people choose to ignore or embrace and blah blah blah.

Just saying, I'm not assuming this show will go past the 3 episode rule yet either.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Well, you were right in that the new girl is indeed one of those that you mentioned, her being a lolli to be specific, she is not part of the harem though. This week Blade suddenly became a parent of a young dragon. Said dragon was a bit unruly at first, but quickly wanted to fit in with the rest and make friends. Sadly dragons can apparently only become friends with equally strong/stronger being, so....good luck class.

I liked the episode and what it tried to do, they sadly tried to do too much in one episode. The first 2 episodes were rather loaded with content as is and episode 3 takes it up another notch. The whole thing about a young dragon wanting to make friends would have worked better with more time for her to actually show that desire. Those 4 people becoming part of the advanced class and Blades's group is fun too, yet it is another thing that is rushed through.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
Huh, episode 4 sure was something. The first half of the episode dealt with the class battle with the dragon loli and was pretty good. The second half dealt with weight loss and sure was something else. Quite the contrast between the two halves.
asoka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:14 pm Reply with quote
So as a person with a VERY low bar to clear with regard to most shows I'm interested in, Ep4 was a low point even by my standards.

I suppose its a culmination of several things:

Where exactly is this story going? Training heroes to successfully battle mighty foes (dragons/demon lords etc) so far we have an ex-hero and...??

You have a dragon battling a small army of wannabe heroes, the dragon in the visual is 3 times taller than the walls of the citadel they are fighting in ... said dragon smashes dozens of would be heroes into walls, tossing some of them at least a 100ft into the air...

No healing magic is used until after the fight & all they suffer is skin lacerations?

Earnest our leading female hero has a fragile self esteem episode and resolves this by eating 2 or 3 dozen doughnuts cupcakes & a large pile of other assorted treats until she grows into the size of something you might expect to jump out of the water at Seaworld?

Then when her friends kindly attempt to "help" she decides it's too hard and comes up with the unique demon summoning diet plan....seriously??

after all that is over the loli dragon makes a few new friends, and all of the future heroes live to train on and the story goes nowhere again...

Oh brother...I get anime suspends all forms of logic etc...but the next episode has GOT to be better...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Come to think about it, you are right about the resolution to the whole weight issue thing being a bad one. It is clear that Earnest is an emotionel eater and yet the root cause never gets addressed. There is an attempt to make her work/move the weight off, but in the end she uses a dangerous and magical method to get rid of it, she then goes back to overeating again.

As for the main story, I think there is none, the series is basically the adventures of hero school.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Ha-HAH! Eating disorder!
Yeah, not a good look.

I was fine with the Cu battle though. It was nothing special, but this is, at best, a light diversion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
A few more episodes have come out and it is still a solid series. It is nothing special, but the adventures of Blade and his ever increasing group of friends is pretty fun. We get a new character each week and because they do nearly everything as a group nobody gets left out.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this show is trying hard to be funny since they are going hard with the comedic animation and it just doesn't work when the rest of the show's worldbuilding is lackluster with how it combines sci-fi and fantasy elements without making it feel cohesive.

I like the idea of the hero wanting to regain his lost life and make friends, but they do just drop the ball on that and with lackluster fanservice thrown in as well.

At points feels like a bad version of Welcome to Demon School Iruma Kun for some reason.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:14 am Reply with quote
Another series done for my seasonal clean up (deperately trying to clean all up before the new season starts). Classroom for heroes is a solid anime with lots of wacky characters and events. The cast is a lovely bunch of idiots and almost every episode adds a new idiot or two to the group. It really is like the title says: the adventures of a classroom of potential heroes. If you are fine with that, then it is a fun enough series, though it is never anything beyond solid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2