• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Just never tell that to a therapist Wink

Once I told them I write for and moderate a Tenchi Muyo Wiki, they already knew I was f'ed up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about this anime being one of the first this season to reach a 2 page topic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I certainly know how I feel. I'm hanging my head in shame... Embarassed
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I don't know how to feel about this anime being one of the first this season to reach a 2 page topic.

Welp, I for one, think it's an inspiring story about a cheeky little anime that, despite its low production values and isekai roots, dared to believe that....

Yeah, no, I blame the bunny girl.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Dead or Carrot... hee-hee, cracks me up every time...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Well, um, sure, it's a new weapon to replace that bamboo spear. *Whistling tunlessly*

Hurm. Sarcasm aside, I totally thought the drop was going to be one of those souped up carts of holding. But the anime turned out to be not quite that accommodating to the MC.

Though giving him a modern/magical firearm is pretty bend-overriffic in its own right. I don't mind, but I couldn't help but notice how the MC twice - maybe thrice - made a point of saying that he had to make a conscious effort to preserve ammo, and the very next scene was shown blasting away at slimes and cockroaches as if he had a machine gun clip in that pistol. Looks like this Anime is going to be the OK Corral from now on.

And while we're not on the subject, that "tunlessly" in my quote up above was absolutely not me meaning "tunelessly" and making a typo. Tun is a unit of measurement for wine and syrup, and I just meant....yeah,...I got nothing. Embarassed
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So Ryota wants to be useful and help people out who are in trouble... that pretty much makes him the anti-Edjwald (hee hee hee). But seriously, if he doesn't notice that the Guild Receptionist is macking on him, I fear the poor lass may have an aneurysm. Clearly, getting laid is not high on his list of priorities which makes him like virtually every anime/manga MC ever. And "cockroslimes" make Emily go coo-coo. Yes, we learned a lot this week.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
Yup, the surprise drop is a gun. I do like how there are different types of bullets to make use of though, that makes for some extra tactical options. We also had some cockroslimes this week, thinking about it, if I saw hundreds of those things crawling towards me I might go a little nuts too. Some more carrot loving this week, gotta always have some of that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quite a bit of progress in episode 4. They ended up with a very handy cart to make more money, they ended up with a new nice looking house while maintaing a lease on the old one and there were even some romantic developments. There was also the princess air box thing....some people buy anything I suppose. Oh, and the double drop item is very handy too.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Quite a bit of progress in episode 4. They ended up with a very handy cart to make more money, they ended up with a new nice looking house while maintaing a lease on the old one.....

Let me preface this by saying that I enjoy this anime. In fact, even after going on a trip for a couple of days, I've kept up with it while I'm behind on at least 3 anime that are better by any objective standard.

But this is what I kept thinking as today's episode progressed.

At the beginning of this anime, Emily was camping out and sleeping on cold dungeon floors because she couldn't afford housing. Ryota was a wage slave, and from what little I know about Japanese real estate design and values, probably wasn't sleeping in a very spacious dwelling.

They make enough money to pay the rent on a two story building whose first floor is the size of a studio apartment with a storage pantry. The upper floor would presumably be big enough for 4 modest bedrooms or 3 large bedrooms and change.

Ryota feels that the place is too cramped and uncomfortable for Emily because she has to cut vegetables while (gasp) standing next to something that looks like a refrigerator.

After getting enough money to pay the rent for a new place the size of a villa, with 3 floors and an attic studio large enough to build a swimming pool, Ryota decided to keep paying the rent on the old place in the same town as the villa just in case they ever get homesick and feel like spending the night there..

Much more sensible than, say, saving up to buy the 2 story house so that they'll always have a place to stay if they get injured or become too old for their presumably dangerous occupation.

I'm kinda hoping that Ryota goes against the isekai protagonist grain and starts going out with Erza just so she can start giving him some much needed financial advice.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The only answer the show gives to your valid question is that it will serve as a piece of nostalgia. Also, I believe this is in the manga, but the first home is so cheap in comparison that what they are earning now makes it basically amount to nothing in the grand scale of things. It is still a waste of money though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 had some interesting events, Ryouta got to meet/beat up Neptune and there was a bit of backstory for Emily (a rather cruel one at that). Even more interesting are some of the tools and events in the world. Something like a magic storm makes for rather critical short time changes in the whole dungeon system. If you are doing a lengthy dungeon run during one of them and use magic then you are out of luck. The drop sucking boxes also make for some fun possibilities (besides having princess brand drops).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Edited to change "thing" to think" because it was bugging the $#!+ ouf of me.

Have you ever been watching a movie, and suddenly you see the microphone sticking out of the top of the frame where the editing got sloppy? I have about two or three moments like that every episode of this anime.

Wait...Emily just told her mother that she'd leave with the others and wait for her...why is Emily still standing there while her mother's fighting the dragon...

Huh...didn't Ryota have to take strays outside the dungeon to turn them into bullets...why are those zombies turning into bullets inside the dungeon...

Emily...Eve...all these people with English names that think Ryota is a strange name...why do they speak Japanese?

Those are mummies...apparently hollow mummies that are nothing but bandages...how is Ryota cutting them in half with his punches? Just how sharp are his knuckles?

But it's still a fun anime as dumb, unambitious isekai go.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:46 am Reply with quote
As they were introduced, I was thinking... "no, don't do it."
And then he found the girl, and I was thinking... "no, really, don't do it."
And then they got out... and they did it.
"Oh, don't mind me, I'm just going to point my gun at this mortally wounded girl and shoot . But don't worry, these are HEALING BULLETS!"
Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
In the grand scope of things I consider the healing bullets to not be that bad. The people buying up the boxes with princess air and drops in it though.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5