• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Gene of AI (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Gosh, don't you just love when a show ends just as the real plot kicks in? Ah, but I'm not really complaining. I'm giving this show a Very Good rating because I found it very thought-provoking. Super hoping there will be more anime adaptation of the manga but if there isn't, I will have to collect them to get the rest of the story (assuming there is or will be an English version).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really hope there's more too. We finally got some confirmation that humanoids don't give birth (but in this society, maybe humans no longer do either?). But I'm still really curious about what Michi's deal is with his human eyes (which robots also have) and Sudo looks. Glad Sudo made up with Risa before he left. And of course we had to have yet another mutilated teddy bear to show how awful the world is (I think that's at least 4 or 5 this anime season alone - more if you count all the ones destroyed in Dark Gathering separately). Smile

So turns out Michi is really trusting. Wink And clone, copy, same, same. (yeah, I know the difference - I've had lunch with Dolly's cloner (lamb was not on the menu), though I'm sure he wouldn't have remembered me even if he hadn't died earlier this month.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:43 am Reply with quote
That is a weird way to end the show. The last episode has almost no focus on AI, robots, or the humanoids. And although we get the steps of the plot with Michi that started ages back, it is almost entirely on Sudo deciding that he will leave everything behind for a bit to try and find his mother.

If I was to look for a through line, it would probably be that although a lot of the show was about how advanced human like technology can change society, it was also a lot about identity. Whether it was humans people when facing such advanced technology that might appear human but is not. Or even the identity for those of the advanced technology, where perhaps thing connected to identity could be altered. It is an alright theme, and certainly some parts I was really interested in, but I am not sure how to think about the stepping back from the other parts at the end.

My rating will also be Very good (8/10). To tell the truth I remember only half watching at first, but then I remember it really catching my attention with the themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3