• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Synduality: Noir (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sheesh, what's with all the anime treachery lately.

Also, I know I shouldn't obsess over details like this, but really... what's the point of having humans pilot Coffins?

I feel like I'm watching something else where it feels like treachery is about to happen, but I can't recall what series, exactly. This does seem to be the season for it though.

As for the Coffins, think of it like the self-driving cars in Gene of AI: sometimes you just wanna drive the car yourself, even if it does invalidate your insurance. Very Happy
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
I forgot to post here for a bit, but the series is still going strong. The world is still an interesting setting of which we slowly see more and the action is great too. Welcome is that no two episodes in a row offer the same. We have gone from action to exploration to slice of life stuff several times now. Hell, we even had a swimsuit/swimming episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I like this new version of Noir - very sassy. Anyway, we've got a four month break before series continues which, frankly, I'm not devastated by. The show has lost a bit of the juice it had for me in the beginning and I'm not entirely sure why. I think the break will help me rejuvenate my interest.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
I really liked it. Be it the vibrant setting, nice action or interesting story. I also like that the first cour took its time to slowly set things up, though many questions still remain. As a final episode it raised a lot of plot points for the second half and I look forward to it. Some of the magus are pretty harsh on their masters btw.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
The sassy black coloured Noir (a little on the nose), Mystere, is a bit more interesting than the more 2023 Chii personality.

I am not up on everything on this show, but there is a lot about the setting and much of the aesthetic. My rating will be Very good (8/10).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

A welcome return. The ANN Enyclopedia is treating this as a second season, but Disney+ is treating it as a continuation of the first. In any case, it was fun. I love the Noir/Mystere duality, your basic Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde set-up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:39 am Reply with quote
It is good to be back, and I enjoy the separate personalities, even if Mystere is pretty abrasive. There was an underlying feeling in the episode like Mystere had taken Noire away from them, but also that Mystere is a complete person too so it would be a bit cruel to act like she doesn't deserve to exist.

Talking about the different personalities, especially regarding Disney+ I more directly think of the Marvel Moon Knight show, who main character has DID, and I think makes you care about the identities as different people.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Wait, was there always a huge Subaru logo on the side of his vehicle? Kind of reminds me of that other anime several years ago that was sponsored, which I think had magical girls.

Starting to feel a little bad that it looks like Noir is starting to be a bit back seat, even if we were told she gets access to the logs. We didn't really get any scenes of him asking how she is doing.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 13

A welcome return. The ANN Enyclopedia is treating this as a second season, but Disney+ is treating it as a continuation of the first. In any case, it was fun. I love the Noir/Mystere duality, your basic Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde set-up.

I am a bit late to the party, but having cut a few anime, things are back on track!
Anyway, it was indeed a solid return to Synduality. They showcased some of the world/locations, characters and even gave a bit of new info. I also like that we have Noir back while still keeping Mystere on the team.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:48 pm Reply with quote

So wait, Tokio is like Macht's brother or something? Didn't see that coming.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a surprise. So Tokio's real name may be Licht, who has some sort of relationship with Black Mask, whose name seems to be Macht. Tokio seems to know a lot more than he let on, being able to recognise Macht with them both having similar eyes, with an implication that Tokio left him. Possibly part of Ideal, or would think lower on Macht for working with Ideal. With their advanced tech they might know a bit about Histoire, which I think they said is probably a space station orbiting the planet, and is some sort of sanctuary but they don't want just anyone to go there. Noire/Mystere is some sort of key, and she wants to go to Histoire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:00 am Reply with quote
I guess they could be brothers. Macht means power in German and licht means light or hell. I'm too lazy to take a screenshot, find an image hoster and the post it here but did anybody else catch what looks like a swastika image at about the 18:57 mark? It appears when Macht has latched onto Kanata's Coffin and is targeting it with some kind of beam. A series of lighted dots appear and resolve into what - I shit you not - looks like a swastika. Macht, indeed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:11 am Reply with quote
You mean his targeting display?

I didn't notice that right off, but I did notice the single SS-lightning bolt on Johngasmaker's cannon.

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Yep, that's the one. And I had noticed the lightning bolt S too but forgot to mention it. There is clearly a... uh... "Germanic" flavour to this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Well that certainly got me right in the feels.... noooooooo, Noir, don't go! I'm sure she won't but the episode did a great job of conveying how much it would suck if she did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4