• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Isekai' Transported Into the Oxford English Dictionary

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:30 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
There are a lot of genres and mediums in the world many of which are very specific, some genres have codified rules to follow like a limerick poems. We have genres like moral plays, sturm and drag, the haiku (a genre of poem), chamberfolk, drumstep, rocksteady and we are perfectly capable of distinguishing between them. We use the word isekai to refer to a specific style of work, popularised in japan on amatuer web novel websites, with its own trademarks seperate from portal fantasy

As pointed out by the Oxford English Dictionary and The Guardian, English speakers also use the term "isekai" for works that did not originate on amateur web novel websites, as well as for works that share characteristics with portal fantasy. Those qualifiers aren't "codified," in Japanese or in English.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:06 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:
There are a lot of genres and mediums in the world many of which are very specific, some genres have codified rules to follow like a limerick poems. We have genres like moral plays, sturm and drag, the haiku (a genre of poem), chamberfolk, drumstep, rocksteady and we are perfectly capable of distinguishing between them. We use the word isekai to refer to a specific style of work, popularised in japan on amatuer web novel websites, with its own trademarks seperate from portal fantasy

As pointed out by the Oxford English Dictionary and The Guardian, English speakers also use the term "isekai" for works that did not originate on amateur web novel websites, as well as for works that share characteristics with portal fantasy. Those qualifiers aren't "codified," in Japanese or in English.

The genre originated in the web novel scene, that doesn't mean all works in the genre are MADE in the web novel scene. I didn't say anything close to what you're saying I said, I said it was popularised in the web novel scene clearly in the quoted post.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:20 am Reply with quote
^

As the OED notes, the isekai genre did not "originate[d] in the web novel scene" either, or even on the web.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
^

You're posts are absurd. Its a dictionary, not an encyclopedia. And it doesn't say "isekai didn't originate in the web novel scene", because it doesn't discuss the web novel scene at all

Here's the cambridge definition for punk rock, I'm sure people can tell this is missing a lot of major details

Quote:
a culture popular among young people, especially in the late 1970s, involving opposition to authority expressed through shocking behaviour, clothes, and hair, and fast, loud music

The only actual detail of the music is just "it's loud", again, dictionaries are not encyclopedias. And encyclopedia's aren't always authoritive.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:47 am Reply with quote
^

The "originate[d] in the web novel scene" quote comes from a post above, refuted by the OED from the very first source link in this article:
https://www.oed.com/discover/words-from-the-land-of-the-rising-sun?utm_campaign=8692tv727
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2