• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wind Breaker (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
It might be considered a district that they have given up on or there is an understanding between the police and Bofurin. The former would actually not be that strange, I know of several districts in America where the cops basically do not come due to it being such a dangerous place.

Also, it is anime.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
3:

I. AM. EXCITED.

I am fine with everything that is happening in Tonpu Market Street and within Bofurin. It is what it is. What I am excited for, there is a world outside Tonpu Market Street. This is not a show where the street or Bofurin acts like the universe itself.

Shishitoren is that other place where maybe, perhaps, the rest of the world doesn't work the same way as Tonpu or Bofurin. When there are territories, there is tension and friction. Diplomacy is what allows all territories to co-exist, but of course, it's never always peaceful.

See, by opening up the existence of other territories, this show can go many ways. I don't think it will be intriguing, but the prospect that it can... now that's exciting. Perhaps we will find out why Bofurin turned over a new leaf since they didn't always give back to the community.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
Agreed, the show is about finding a team/group to belong to and fighting together with them for the sake of their town, that means you need one or more proper enemy factions and not just a group of random hooligans to keep things exciting. Seems like the Lions are very much a good fit for that and their way of functioning is pretty harsh. As for the Bofurin leader....he might be strong?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I do like that the different "teams" (is that...the right translation? Feels like it should be "gang" or "group" or something a little different. Minor quibble,) all likely have different philosophies. Its easy to see a relatively fulfilling character path there, where Haruka functionally repudiates the other philosophies, and in doing so figures out his own. Which will likely coincide with Furin's, but also may be a bit different.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I share AC x S's excitement with the world opening up. This was going to be the make or break episode for me in terms of deciding whether to stick around or not. They've sucked me, at least for the time being.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:01 am Reply with quote
Just from a practical standpoint, giving the MC somebody else to fight with besides the people's he's hopefully going to be bonding with can't be anything but a bonus. And having Haruka and mad dog (give me another episode to learn his real name) act in tandem gives them some common ground and room for mutual respect and all that.

The episode had lots of little hooks that I'm curious about. I'm curious about what that skinny little kid was doing over in enemy territory wearing Furin colors in the first place. I'm curious about what the deal between the leader and Tachibana (the cafe girl) is. And I'm curious about the real strength of the leader who seems flakier than a bowl of bran cereal.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The leader of Bofurin and Kohata were the two characters who caught my attention this week. Ume-Iforgotta's rapid back and forth between goofball and captain competence were fairly diverting, and Kohata's one of my favorite characters for all her limited exposure.

Both Ume-Iforgotta and the leader of the devotees of power were maybe a little over the top weird for my tastes - just because they're supposed to be the leaders and trend setters. And I was a little non-plussed to find out that the gang fight was turning into a tournament arc, but I'm still having a lot of fun with this show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
The leader of Bofurin is a nice chill dude... until he needs to be a fighter and then his switch gets flipped. I want to call the Lion boss an adrenaline junky yet he does not really seem to fit that mold, I am honestly not too sure what is up with him. I do wonder what will happen to the Lions should they lose, a group being all about power and being the strongest kind of has no point if they get beaten.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am Reply with quote
4:

Oh. Things are moving faster than I thought.

After the last episode, do you know what I was expecting? A cooling-off episode where the show explores the other Bofurin members. You know, there is still that meathead and pink-haired guy. But instead, the show went straight to the leader of the rival gang and now we are gonna have our first turf battle.

I mean, this isn't a bad thing. I imagine such shows would usually explore the good guys first instead of the baddies. If this show wants to explore Choji and Shishitoren first, I assume they have something significant to add to the show (and it shows, with the crux being "how did Choji turn Shishitoren into what they are now?").

I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking with character development here. Let's be fair: the characters are shounen archetypes (Ume is Bofurin's answer to Sano from Tokyo Revengers. You can match the other archtypes between the two shows yourselves). Pretty sure Choji's story will be something we'd heard many times already. But hey, I'm also pretty sure that Cloverworks will make the fight quite a spectacle.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 am Reply with quote
That was a fun start to the tournament. The first fight if it can be called that was basically seeing how big a gulf there can be between two brutes. The second fight that absolutely cannot be called one was one guy getting shamed so badly that he will never forget the experience ever again.

I do wonder about the Lion top though. The leader is clearly unhinged and the glasses guy keeps looking his way to measure his reaction to it all, his confidence seems like one big facade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2