• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN and the industry's stance on fansubs (ANN official on P5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So...why not watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs? Or get the recent Media-Blasters releases without English audio>

Zalis you should know the answer as well as anyone who watches fansubs; the good fansubs are much higher in (translation, as well as other things) quality than the DVD subtitles.

As for conversational Japanese, anime will help a lot. You're not going to be talking politely when you're with a friend, and as long as you have enough background knowledge to know something like ~dattebayo isn't a real Japanese casual form, then listening to the different ways casual speech is said in anime is going to be useful, for at least your ears will get used to hearing the difference between polite and casual speech. And there are plenty of anime titles that use polite and even polite+formal speech that are used all the time in daily conversation. You just need the background knowledge to be able to tell. In such way, "teaching self thru anime" is as possible as "teaching self thru manga".
nikandros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So...why not watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs? Or get the recent Media-Blasters releases without English audio>

Zalis you should know the answer as well as anyone who watches fansubs; the good fansubs are much higher in (translation, as well as other things) quality than the DVD subtitles.

As for conversational Japanese, anime will help a lot. You're not going to be talking politely when you're with a friend, and as long as you have enough background knowledge to know something like ~dattebayo isn't a real Japanese casual form, then listening to the different ways casual speech is said in anime is going to be useful, for at least your ears will get used to hearing the difference between polite and casual speech. And there are plenty of anime titles that use polite and even polite+formal speech that are used all the time in daily conversation. You just need the background knowledge to be able to tell. In such way, "teaching self thru anime" is as possible as "teaching self thru manga".

So, you are saying that if someone from say... Germany, could learn English from watching subtitled episodes of say... friends and CSI among other shows? He would know exactly how to talk to Americans, and the British and have little trouble?

Honestly the only way to get any semblance of true fluency would be to either be born in a bilingual household or to completely immerse yourself in the culture and not speak any of your native language until it becomes natural. If you just take everything from Manga and Anime there will still be plenty of words left unused no matter how many you use. After all, there just are some words that are used so sparingly, and when used, are not used in every way possible, for someone to gain fluency in our language from it.

I think you could potentially learn a great bit from Anime and Manga, but you will have a lot of trouble communicating with someone from Japan who has poor English skills, esp if you go in thinking you know the language so well.

Also, maybe I am a bit more traditional, but I think that learning something like you describe is just too impractical. I think you should find a way to educate and culture yourself when ever possible, but attempting to say anime and manga are valid learning devices for learning how to speak another language just seems silly to me. The logic just seems a bit flawed, products made strictly for entertainment may help but they should just never be how you pick it all up, or it will be like looking at Mexico and America and saying that you already know everything about North America.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So...why not watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs? Or get the recent Media-Blasters releases without English audio?

For some series, yes, but CrazyIdiots wasn't talking about DVD subtitles, he was saying "I watch fansubs instead of the English dubbed version." Which doesn't make sense, because the existence of an English dub (no matter how bad) doesn't "ruin" the anime as long as there's still a Japanese track with subtitles available for people who prefer Japanese audio.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
nikandros wrote:

So, you are saying that if someone from say... Germany, could learn English from watching subtitled episodes of say... friends and CSI among other shows? He would know exactly how to talk to Americans, and the British and have little trouble?

Honestly the only way to get any semblance of true fluency would be to either be born in a bilingual household or to completely immerse yourself in the culture and not speak any of your native language until it becomes natural. If you just take everything from Manga and Anime there will still be plenty of words left unused no matter how many you use. After all, there just are some words that are used so sparingly, and when used, are not used in every way possible, for someone to gain fluency in our language from it.

I think you could potentially learn a great bit from Anime and Manga, but you will have a lot of trouble communicating with someone from Japan who has poor English skills, esp if you go in thinking you know the language so well.

Also, maybe I am a bit more traditional, but I think that learning something like you describe is just too impractical. I think you should find a way to educate and culture yourself when ever possible, but attempting to say anime and manga are valid learning devices for learning how to speak another language just seems silly to me. The logic just seems a bit flawed, products made strictly for entertainment may help but they should just never be how you pick it all up, or it will be like looking at Mexico and America and saying that you already know everything about North America.

Sigh. I knew at least one person will read everything wrong.

I've never said in my post that I believe anime and manga are good ways to learn a language, especially from scratch the way you imply in your reply. I said they were "helpful", as long as one has a solid background knowledge, which will allow a person to not just try and pick up random words and grammar but rather organize and memorize them methodically. I am saying that anime and manga can be used like any other language learning supplement, and they're an additional plus because it makes learning fun. And you'd be surprised how often speech (polite/formal or not) used in anime/manga is used by real people everyday.

But then again, I personally was studying both language and culture while watching anime (and drama), not just enjoying entertainment at face value. And yes, I have a year's worth of college classes in Japanese. All of my opinions regarding anime (and drama) as a learning tool is from personal experimentation and success, so my final point of the whole argument is that if it doesn't work (assuming you've given it the time I have), you didn't try hard enough. But I should mention that I cheated because I know Korean, which makes it 500% easier to pick up Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8