• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 50 Manga Creators by Sales Since 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking all this time that Akira Amano is a women. Idk where I got that from, but...

And the person who created Kekkaishi is a girl!? I had no idea! Even Big Windup and Blue Exorcist are all by women!? That's awesome. Very Happy

And I also assume that the person who created Soul Eater is a guy. I need to find out now.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I've been thinking all this time that Akira Amano is a women. Idk where I got that from, but...

And the person who created Kekkaishi is a girl!? I had no idea! Even Big Windup and Blue Exorcist are all by women!? That's awesome. Very Happy

And I also assume that the person who created Soul Eater is a guy. I need to find out now.

I always asumed that akira amano was a girl because of the image ANN has of her on her info page Wink
dgtb1994

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

According to Wikipedia, Amano is a woman but I've never seen her gender mentioned anywhere else so who knows.

Also, it's pretty sad the Fairy Tail is doing better than Bleach, which has been around twice as long.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised Oda & One Piece are #1, I AM surprised that it's not even CLOSE. He's almost got more sales than the rest of the top 10 COMBINED, that's insane.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
i like one piece and don't understand why it's so much more popular than naruto and bleach.
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Other information that would be interesting were it in this table is the publication that the manga are in and the company that publishes them.

I guess it wouldn't be difficult to find out for myself with the Ann encyclopedia being there and all. I guess all that holds me back is my own laziness then.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Kinda nitpicky here... but kinda fail to see how this is news. Seems like just another way for One Piece fans to rub Oda's "superiority" in others faces... but I digrese. Hey look Gosho's 16th... well glad to know Conan is still loved over there I guess.

But yeah... in the long run...what do lists like this accomplish aside from bragging rights for fans of certain series.

Meh, guess it should'nt bother me so much since I don't live in Japan, lol.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
Other information that would be interesting were it in this table is the publication that the manga are in and the company that publishes them.

I guess it wouldn't be difficult to find out for myself with the Ann encyclopedia being there and all. I guess all that holds me back is my own laziness then.
The data represents author sales, not series sales. Some authors have multiple series in different publications. The given manga title is just their best-selling work in this time frame.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Wow Hiro Mashima came in 4th
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Kinda nitpicky here... but kinda fail to see how this is news. Seems like just another way for One Piece fans to rub Oda's "superiority" in others faces... but I digrese. Hey look Gosho's 16th... well glad to know Conan is still loved over there I guess.

But yeah... in the long run...what do lists like this accomplish aside from bragging rights for fans of certain series.

I think it's quite an interesting list, but like DCRavenX said, having the company and the magazine in which the manga are published would be interesting. I'm quite surprised how this ranking is different from the Oricon rankings. For example, and since you've mentioned Aoyama, I seem to recall Detective Conan usually selling more than Fairy Tail in Oricon rankings where as Hiro Mashima has sold more than twice as much as Gosho Aoyama in this list. Does Hiro Mashima have another really successful ongoing manga ?

Oh, and I don't think ANN should refrain itself from having a news on this list just because there's a possibility that a few idiots will say that the best selling manga are automatically the best (which would be like saying Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are the best artists).
Kaylachan1990

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Akira Amano IS a woman, even her pic on her page on this site is that of a woman...

And also, cool to see that Blue Exorcist is written by a woman!
opn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I think it's quite an interesting list, but like DCRavenX said, having the company and the magazine in which the manga are published would be interesting. I'm quite surprised how this ranking is different from the Oricon rankings. For example, and since you've mentioned Aoyama, I seem to recall Detective Conan usually selling more than Fairy Tail in Oricon rankings where as Hiro Mashima has sold more than twice as much as Gosho Aoyama in this list. Does Hiro Mashima have another really successful ongoing manga ?

Oh, and I don't think ANN should refrain itself from having a news on this list just because there's a possibility that a few idiots will say that the best selling manga are automatically the best (which would be like saying Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are the best artists).

the reason fairy tail is ahead of conan is because the anime is boosting the sales of the early volumes similer to how the blue exorcist anime is boosting early manga volume sales. but as for your question mashima is only working on fairy tail currently. also about medaka box nisio isn does the story akira akatsuki just does the art for it.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Went ahead and added the numbers so no one else with too much time on their hands would have to waste it. Breaks down as follows...

#1 = 54,856,000
#2-8 = 52,904,000

It's almost not fair. But, One Piece is incredible and deserves all it gets.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Hiromu Arakawa at number eight with FMA.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
1 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
2 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
3 - Shueisha - Bessatsu Margaret
4 - Kodansha - Weekly Shônen Magazine
5 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
6 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
7 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
8 - Square Enix - Monthly Shonen Gangan
9 - Kodansha - Morning 2
10 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
11 - Shueisha - Weekly Young Jump
12 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
13 - Kodansha - Weekly Morning
14 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
15 - Shueisha - Weekly Shônen Jump
16 - Shogakukan - Weekly Shônen Sunday
17 - Kodansha - Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine
18 - Kodansha - Weekly Morning
19 - Kodansha - Kiss
20 - Kodansha - Weekly Shōnen Magazine

Too lazy to do the whole thing for now. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4