• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation has liscensed Jigoku Shoujo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ahem, I find Mamiko Noto to be quite popular, and anyone else who could pick up on that innocent, soft, sweet, gentle, cute, heavenly, relaxing, mellow, serene, and melty voice as fast as I can would agree Anime catgrin Anime catgrin Anime catgrin.
Oh I agree with that description of Mamiko Noto completely. I've posted a few times about her voice work, which is pretty strange for me. Despite being a dub lover I absolutely love her voice and I'm certain I'll watch the series subbed every so often just hear her again. Which is a huge thing for me because, generally, I don't watch anything subbed unless I have to.

But, if on no other point, we are in complete agreement about Mamiko Noto's voice being amazing. Although I don't think she has quite the same "star power" as Aya's enjoying right now. (Personally, I'd argue that Mamiko Noto is a far more impressive performer but I'm a dub fan so what do I know, right? Wink )

I see your points on most of what you said, although I disagree with you on a couple of things. Yes, we've gotten some truly "what the heck?" licenses but the majority of series you can figure out why it was licensed fairly easily. (I should have included "family" in my list from before as that would have taken care of most of Miyazaki's stuff and it would fit with the still present sterotype about all animation being for kids.)

Also, when I asked what you thought was marketable about the series, I meant the question as more of "what do you think Funimation thinks is marketable about it" but I phrased it badly.

I think I got a little too defensive. I apologize if I said anything that pushed the line. Jigoku Shoujo became one of my favorite series and to have it licensed by the company I most wanted to license it was a really great thing for me. Then I see people complaining about it and I just got a little irritated. At least in my mind, I did not think this was a series that would be licensed nor did I think it would be licensed by Funimation. Also, I've never seen a reason for raining on other people's parade, you know? There's a lot of series I dislike that other people love, but I'm not going to claim it wasn't worth licensing.

I don't want you or anyone else thinking I'm a jerk. I just hate hearing the constant "why did they license INSERT TITLE HER instead of Ouran?" when something gets licensed. It always just seems pointless to me, especially when the series in question has zero in common with Ouran.

I mean, if a company is looking to license a dark dramatic horror series, they're not going to license Ouran. Whatever Funi's reasons for licensing Jigoku Shoujo, I doubt those same reasons could have been applied to Ouran. (Actually, most of my irritation was directed toward Malintex Terek as I've read his refrain quite a few times now. I think I turned on you a little, so I apologize for that.)

And again I apologize for such a long post. I can't seem to hardly shut up tonight. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The point I was making was that it's silly to get all huffy over a license just because you want to see something else licensed. I'm sure there are people who dislike Ouran as much as some dislike Jigoku Shoujo. I rather like both and have no intention of getting upset over any license. (How the series is marketed, however, I will comment on. Would it kill the companies to release more art boxes?)

I can't change your opinions, but I can politely state that my opinion is that any license is a good license because every show, regardless of it's quality, has fans and those fans should have the opportunity to buy a nice, relatively cheap R1 DVD of that show. Whether it's Jigoku Shoujo, Monster, or some truly unlikely to ever be licensed anime like Today in Class 5-2, we should be happy for the licenses we get and should contact the companies about the licenses we want. Posting on this forum isn't likely to get anything licensed. Starting a letter writing campaign to a company requesting that they license a series probably won't work either, but it would be more likely to get someone's positive attention.

though i agree as im usually the kind of person who thinks these thoughts. this is not particularly directed at you however its something i recently thought up of. if everyone thought about things at a realistic point of view, not much would progress. with several different thoughts, there is most likely more responses. everything Mephistophilus said pretty much got it on the point as we should calmly just posts our different perspectives. i dont mean to sound self righteous and a lil off topic but there are several times topics end with a post like that.

edit-
you posted quicker than me :/ but ill leave this here anyways
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, when I asked what you thought was marketable about the series, I meant the question as more of "what do you think Funimation thinks is marketable about it" but I phrased it badly.

I would guess this applies not just to FUNimation, but to all U.S. anime companies, and that's the lack of horror titles, in particular ones of the supernatural variety not named Hellsing.

Aside from Blue Gender (which I haven't seen), Mushishi (which I love), and Trinity Blood (which I'm collecting, but have yet to watch until I get the final volume), there's not really anything else that even comes close to horror, be it sci-fi or supernatural within FUNi's library.

And as I mentioned about how cool I thought JS was in the beginning, I'm sure it'll seem fairly intriguing to those that watch at least the first volume. I don't know, I just feel there's a lacking in horror titles for anime in general (again, of the supernatural variety; psychological thrillers are on a bit of a different level since most of them don't involve spiritual entities). Here's hoping the next horror title licensed (by whoever) is Ghost Hunt. Now there's something I would buy right off the bat!

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

I would guess this applies not just to FUNimation, but to all U.S. anime companies, and that's the lack of horror titles, in particular ones of the supernatural variety not named Hellsing.

Aside from Blue Gender (which I haven't seen), Mushishi (which I love), and Trinity Blood (which I'm collecting, but have yet to watch until I get the final volume), there's not really anything else that even comes close to horror, be it sci-fi or supernatural within FUNi's library.

Hellsing doesn't even qualify as a horror title. I don't think Trinity Blood really counts either, from the little I've seen of it.

However, one horror title that comes to mind is Requiem from the Darkness. I think that would qualify as a horror show. It certainly would if you counted Hell Girl as a horror title. I think When They Cry (a.k.a. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni) would count as well.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
However, one horror title that comes to mind is Requiem from the Darkness. I think that would qualify as a horror show. It certainly would if you counted Hell Girl as a horror title. I think When They Cry (a.k.a. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni) would count as well.

Yeah, definitely those titles. I was just referring to FUNimation's line-up, specifically. I thought Hundred Stories (Requiem) was something special after just the first DVD. I'm also curious about this Ayakashi Horror Tales or whatever it is coming out soon from Geneon as well.
riprock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Tony, I'd like to know what about Jigoku Shoujo strikes you as marketable. Seriously, its got virtually no fan service

It's got plenty of fan service for women.

It's got Wanyuudou.

Admit it. He's the sexiest hunk of undying spirit this side of Hellsing.

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I thought Hundred Stories (Requiem) was something special after just the first DVD. I'm also curious about this Ayakashi Horror Tales or whatever it is coming out soon from Geneon as well.

Horror in Anime just doesn't have all that many titles unlike just about everything else. Really if there is horror it's more like Perfect Blue where it's more of a psychological horror. Requiem is something completely different and like nothing I've ever seen before. Each episode certainly is powerful, dark and twisted and I love it,

Horror Tales is certainly one of the titles I am looking forward to, but I am not sure what I am getting myself into, but I am going to give it a rent at least.

As for the other shows mentioned Blue Gender had some elements of an alien type horror in early parts of this show but the show changes so quickly into this love story that the horror (And what made this show good) is forgotten by the end.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Yeah, definitely those titles. I was just referring to FUNimation's line-up, specifically. I thought Hundred Stories (Requiem) was something special after just the first DVD. I'm also curious about this Ayakashi Horror Tales or whatever it is coming out soon from Geneon as well.

*double checks post* Ah, so you were. My mistake. Yeah, I think you pretty much covered everything from their library that could qualify as horror. Maybe the premise of Gunslinger Girl would qualify, but that's really stretching things.

So, yeah, Funi basically has no horror titles before this. Everything mentioned for them (possible exception for Mushishi as I'm not too familiar with it) is a stretch to be considered horror but Geneon and ADV have a decent number of titles that could be easily classified as horror.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
riprock wrote:
It's got plenty of fan service for women.

It's got Wanyuudou.

Admit it. He's the sexiest hunk of undying spirit this side of Hellsing.

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.
As a very straight man, I really can't comment on what a woman would like. Although Wanyuudou is a very cool character. Cool I love how protective and fatherly he is toward Ai.

His voice is one that I'm particularly interested in the casting of when Funimation puts the dub together. Ai's is most important off all, but his is a close second given his importance as her main helper.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
So if Funi's been choosing "safe" licenses, can we say that Rumbling Hearts was a safe, no-risk license?

I have to say though, this comes as a "meh" announcement to me. The things I read about Jigoku Shoujo didn't interest me that much, and I only saw a few fragments of it here and there. I guess this is one series that I won't have to spend money on or feel guilty about not spending money on it, and hopefully Funi's foray into the horror genre goes well for them. I'll just "wait and hold out hope" on Ouran to come from Funi or some other company that will give it a good release.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So if Funi's been choosing "safe" licenses, can we say that Rumbling Hearts was a safe, no-risk license?

We have no idea how well Rumbling Hearts will ultimately make, nor do we know how much was paid for it. Since it's a pretty darn generic title and anime licensing fees are per episode, I'd say it wasn't all that expensive. It was also an experimental title; if KnGE did well, something big like Kanon might as well.

I haven't really heard anything but time will tell.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
We have no idea how well Rumbling Hearts will ultimately make, nor do we know how much was paid for it. Since it's a pretty darn generic title and anime licensing fees are per episode, I'd say it wasn't all that expensive. It was also an experimental title; if KnGE did well, something big like Kanon might as well.

I haven't really heard anything but time will tell.
Where exactly would one need to go to find out something like this anyway? Are there any official websites that monitor things like this or do any of the anime licensors actually talk about profitability of specific series in relatively concrete terms?

Perhaps I'm not paying enough attention, but I can't remember ever encountering a clear statement about any series level of profitability.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Where exactly would one need to go to find out something like this anyway? Are there any official websites that monitor things like this or do any of the anime licensors actually talk about profitability of specific series in relatively concrete terms?

That kind of information is likely classified within a company, which is why I'm hoping to get a little more knowledge than most with a Navarre investment. However, my rule of thumb is lack of reporting indicates anything between a moderate success and failure. If KGnE sells very well, FUNimation will tell us, either through a financial report or a press release of sorts.

This isn't always the case, though. Bleach scored top ratings for a single week on [adult swim], but it was during a bad season for the network. So, despite VIZ Media's history of noisily boasting of and inflating all thier accomplishments, that potentially negative information wasn't capitilised on.

Richard J. wrote:

Perhaps I'm not paying enough attention, but I can't remember ever encountering a clear statement about any series level of profitability.

None of us really know about that kind of stuff; I'm drawing inferences from my business background and economic training, but what I've done clearly lies outside of the anime industry and how it operates. Convention speakers aren't a good source of information, either.

Frankly, the best resource for looking at any anime industry related stuff is Icv2 or ANS. ANN is more trustworthy than ANS because it doesn't publish stories until a source is confirmed, but ANS has a lot of quantity and it's 90% accurate (whereas ANN is 95% accurate). Icv2 has exclusive access to people and publishes the Diamond lists, which I frequently use for small inferences about One Piece manga sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3