• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Tunnel of Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
People who don't understand the point of Haruhi are so funny.

Obviously the moe characters are purposely moe for the very purpose of poking fun at moe and the school genre of stories - Haruhi herself says she wants certain types of people in her group. She desires them, so they appear around her in the fashion she desires. That's her power. In her mind, having a big-breasted lolita-type, a quiet bookworm, a yes-man, and Kyon is an optimal setting for what she wants to do. If KyoAni happens to take advantage of this for the anime by adding fanservice in a show meant to - gasp - purposely make fun of people desiring fan service, then all the better for themselves.

As for the plot/order of episodes, it's obvious that KyoAni wanted to make a quality product, and the first novel only encompasses six episodes worth of material. But if they could get the go ahead to produce fourteen episodes instead of just six, why not? But instead of starting on an entirely new storyline, which would be better off for another season, why not use the miscallenous short stories that tie in with the main storyline of Haruhi and shift them around in a way that frames the work in a certain manner? It makes perfect sense when you think about it for even a moment. They weren't going to start on the second book already - they had no idea the adaptation of the first one was even going to be a success. From a production/marketing perspective, this is perfectly understandable.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is supposed to have moe elements and fanservice - they're part of the plot, part of the motivation of the main character. It's not just a fanservice show, it's placed in there for a reason other to just titilate the fans. You think the novels were fan service? You can't even see fanservice in novels - everything's written. The closest you get are some of the illustrations in the novels. But Haruhi isn't a moe fanservice show - it's a tongue-in-cheek blend of the school genre story and science fiction. If you judge it by simple means you're bound to be disappointed, unless you just like fanservice.

[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. It just seems to me that the ranter is railing against Haruhi either because they're just not into that type of anime (which is perfectly reasonable) or didn't get "it."

Quote:
I've not found a good non-biased review about this series and I think I may have been tricked into this over-hyped series.

Non-biased being, what, exactly? A review that you agreed with after you watched the series? Someone can have a different opinion about the series without being "biased."

Quote:
Who ever decided to air this series out of order and\or without a script rewrite to make this series flow better is an idiot. Let me explain, a series needs to have a feeling of suspense as to what is going to happen next throughout the series.

I don't agree. There are plenty of series that can progress without "a feeling of suspense." I think a series like Azumanga Daioh is a perfect example of a series which doesn't even necessarily have a central plot, much less one that relies on suspense to drive the series, yet is a good series.

Also, the very nature of the series allows it to work in either order. And you can't tell me that even when watched in the order it aired that there was no suspense. In fact, since the major action episode was in the middle of the series, it was aired in the order it was for the very reason of creating suspense.

One gets a sense of reverse forshadowing - in stead of hinting at things that are to come, we're given hints about things which have already occurred yet we haven't witnessed yet (in fact, this isn't even necessarily uncommon. Have you ever heard of a flashback scene? It's just that Haruhi did it differently, but the effect is the same).

Quote:
What can we say about Haruhi that hasn't been thought of before by Kyon himself. Haruhi is selfish, stuck-up, spoiled and a sociopath.

Yes, it's called "setting up the story." If you noticed when you watched, Haruhi became less selfish, stuck-up, spoliled, and "sociopathic" as the series, chronologically, progressed. This is part of the story.

Quote:
She isn't a really likable character The only time when I've liked her was when she was vulnerable or quiet.

She may not have been likable to start with. As I just said, however, her character changes to make her more sympathetic. Also, part of Haruhi's zaniness is supposed to make the series a comedy, as in she's so over the top in some instances that you're supposed to laugh. Apparently you didn't. That's fine, but I'm not sure you should rail against the series like you did over a difference in your sense of humor.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment about liking her when she was "quiet and vulnerable."

Quote:
Asahina.. I don't know why she's in the series except for being fan service and to up the moe factor (She's like somebody from Kanon or Air).

You've gotta be quite upset at a large number of anime series if the fan service in Haruhi bothered you.

Quote:
She doesn't seem to really study Haruhi but only to go along with her plans of using Asahina as a dress-up doll. She always makes me wince a little whenever Haruhi is around because she usually acts like a molestation victim around her, which Haruhi usually does with the Bunny-Girl, Nurse, and Maid outfits.

See my note about it being a comedy above.

Quote:
Now for Koizuma. Ugh, this guy can make a philosophy professor scratch his own head.

And your point is?

Quote:
He's the esper who works for The Agency (could we have gotten story arc on this?) who not just studies Haruhi but talks to her like she's his God.

Well, I haven't read the novels, but I think the point of the Agency is that it is mysterious. Also, he talked about Haruhi like she'd God because, in the agency's view, they basically see her as God. Again, I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is.

Quote:
Kyon's little monologues and backbites at Haruhi makes the series more funny.

Wow, we agree on something.

Quote:
But the biggest problem that I found is that the series feels incomplete like there should be something else after Episode 14.

Again, you must be unhappy with quite a bit of anime if you're complaining about not completely finishing the story. And yes, the story does continue - in the light novels - and possible a second season.

Quote:
We could have had a few episodes on The Agency, more aliens, more action sequences against some other supernatural entities, and even having Haruhi and Kyons relationship develop into something more natural instead of having it forced.

Well, if they continue the series, you may very well see Kyon's and Haruhi's relationship progress (as I said, I haven't read the novels). As far as the other part, I think if you start going on tagents about The Agency and aliens, then you get away from what the series is about, and that's Haruhi.

Quote:
Don't believe the hype.

I'd agree. I'm one who would just as soon throw a show like Cowboy Bebop into the trash. Not because it's a bad anime, but because it's not of my tastes. But that wouldn't stop me from recommending it to someone who I thought would like it. And Haruhi is more than just hype. Many people watched it and many people loved it. It's been talked about a lot for a reason.

Quote:
Note to the Haruhi purists, if you don't like my rant, come back in two years with a more open mind.

I would tend to agree that time does give one a better perspective. However, Haruhi was aired almost a year ago, and at least I personally feel the same about it now than I did when I watched it.
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with some of the Ranter's points concerning Haruhi, but I didn't like his "neh neh, I have better taste than you Haruhi fans" attitude. I watched two episodes of the anime in question (anachron order; student video and the second) and thought the characters were all very annoying, the choice of 'student video' as the first episode was a huge mistake, it wasn't the least bit funny and there was no hint whatsoever at anything deeper or more interesting to come in the show (I'm willing to forgive a weak first couple of episodes, so long as there's a hint that things will improve). However, I admit that it's not something to my taste, as I don't like comedy or slice-of-life anime, and I'm not going to get all high-horse and superior to people who do enjoy the show. I think his article would have been more convincing and persuasive with a more reasoned analysis/explanation of his points and less attitude.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm cheap.. Tomakazu Sugita (Kyon) could read out of the freakin Tokyo phone book and I'd hang in there for 12 episodes....

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Antimonitor wrote:
the choice of 'student video' as the first episode was a huge mistake, it wasn't the least bit funny and there was no hint whatsoever at anything deeper or more interesting to come in the show (I'm willing to forgive a weak first couple of episodes, so long as there's a hint that things will improve).

You've obviously never made a student film. For those that have, it's hilarious, moreso after seeing a couple episodes to figure out who everyone is and what their personality traits are.

Sandstar wrote:

Tell you what: You buy me the DVDs, and I'll watch them. Then I'll tell you if I like it or not. Deal?

That wasn't my point. My point is that you have no right to say wether or not something is crap unless you've seen it. You can say "I haven't seen it yet, but it's not my type of show", but can't say "It sucks." That's just ignorant.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Antimonitor wrote:
the choice of 'student video' as the first episode was a huge mistake, it wasn't the least bit funny and there was no hint whatsoever at anything deeper or more interesting to come in the show (I'm willing to forgive a weak first couple of episodes, so long as there's a hint that things will improve).

You've obviously never made a student film. For those that have, it's hilarious, moreso after seeing a couple episodes to figure out who everyone is and what their personality traits are.

Sandstar wrote:

Tell you what: You buy me the DVDs, and I'll watch them. Then I'll tell you if I like it or not. Deal?

That wasn't my point. My point is that you have no right to say wether or not something is crap unless you've seen it. You can say "I haven't seen it yet, but it's not my type of show", but can't say "It sucks." That's just ignorant.

Well, I did say that at least the trailer is crap. Which I did see. And was crap. And if it's indicative of the series as a whole, the series is crap.
HiroTsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
ADV kept releasing Aura Battler Dunbine even though it was pretty clear nobody on Earth bought that show (considering for about a year there every single ADV DVD and Newtype USA issue had a promotional card where if you so much as looked askance at ADV's corporate headquarters or made eye contact with Matt Greenfield, you'd get a volume of Aura Battler Dunbine for free)

I bought it. Admittedly, it wasn't until a couple months ago when I could get most of the series for $4 a disc. But tracking down those last two volumes was a pain in the ass. Apparently, ADV made very, very few of those last two volumes because plenty of places had #1-10 and nobody had #11 and #12. A few had them listed as out of stock, but most didn't even had them listed.

I was lucky enough to find #12 used at FYE, but finding #11 was a b****. I even ordered from a site I never wanted to order from again because they sold bootlegs, but I ordered from them because they seemed to have it. Then I got an e-mail saying it was backordered (unlike what the listing said), and since the DVDs were no longer being produced that meant they were never going to get it. So I searched around and after two more false leads, I was ready to give up. Then one day, a package showed up from the aforementiond retailer that sold bootlegs. Apparently they didn't feel like ever informing me that they got it and shipped it, but since I was able to get a hold of it, I didn't care to much.

Wow, never thought I'd see someone saying this. You past is exactly my present. I've been searching around for the past 5 or so months trying to find volumes 11 and 12 of Dunbine. I like many genre of anime but Mecha Series top them all so going back and trying to collect all of Dunbine has been a goal recently.

During all the searching I've thus far only come across one chance and that was on Amazon Marketplace with someone listing as a Collectible the 2nd boxset of volumes 6-12 for around $125 bucks. Aside from the fact it was a bad idea since I'd be paying $125 for 11 and 12 (plus 2nd copies of 6-10), it sold in around two days from listing. *shakes head* oh well.. my quest shall continue until I can learn the ending of the series! (seeing another person with this problem I wonder how many others can't find 11 and 12 and for that matter how many copies are sitting in stores somewhere unsold...)

As for Haruhi.... I loved the show, myself, but I really think it gets far too much hype than it deserves. I'm sure it's not the next Evangelion in terms of there really being a lot of stuff to come back and look at again and again... but it's well worth the time to watch in my opinion. I saw it all via fansubs and I most defintely want to support the R1 release and share the series with some friends once I have it on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
HiroTsukasa wrote:
(seeing another person with this problem I wonder how many others can't find 11 and 12 and for that matter how many copies are sitting in stores somewhere unsold...)

I don't think there are very many unsold copies. I think ADV produced significantly fewer copies and, since many stores hadn't sold most of the previous volumes, most stores simply didn't order the last two volumes or only ordered a very small amount.
sjcarpediem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
re this guy's interpretation of MoHS : its so sad he totally missed the point w/the whole chronology thing. If you go back and view them "in order" you do get a very cohesive sense of the show. (Check the wiki article if you have trouble with this or listen to Haruhi at the end of each ep when they're previewing the next...)

Do people realize they're coming off as complete mysogynists when they write/say crap like "I only liked her when she was vulnerable or quiet"? That's like me saying "I only liked Kyon in Higurashi when his fingernails were being ripped off"....zomg Evil or Very Mad

etc, etc, usw, usw....
Teh_Das

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
I just want to say this: I love Haruhi. that being said, I dont love it for the hype. I watched it when my deep-seated otaku friend gave it to me, and I turned to really like it. I just wrote a paper on it even >_> it works well with the hero's journey...meh. that being said. I wish to impart this knowledge. the DVDs sold are going to be in chronological order, not broadcast order. only the limited edition disks 2-4 will have the series subtitled only in broadcast order. I agree, dont believe the hype, because thats what only the huddled masses will get you to believe, handbook for the sellout. watch a series because you like it, not because others like it...
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
sjcarpediem wrote:
re this guy's interpretation of MoHS : its so sad he totally missed the point w/the whole chronology thing. If you go back and view them "in order" you do get a very cohesive sense of the show. (Check the wiki article if you have trouble with this or listen to Haruhi at the end of each ep when they're previewing the next...)

Do people realize they're coming off as complete mysogynists when they write/say crap like "I only liked her when she was vulnerable or quiet"? That's like me saying "I only liked Kyon in Higurashi when his fingernails were being ripped off"....zomg Evil or Very Mad

I think you meant Shion Razz ,

Anyways, I can see where they're coming from. Once Haruhi starts showing that she isn't just this crazy hyper person, she becomes a lot more likable. That's the appeal of the 'tsundere' archetype of character. I think the reason most people prefer the softer side of Haruhi is because it was different from what we've seen before.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
sjcarpediem wrote:
Do people realize they're coming off as complete mysogynists when they write/say crap like "I only liked her when she was vulnerable or quiet"?
I'd like to add my support to who_is_friend's comment and also to say that another reason some people like characters who are "vulnerable or quiet" is that they themselves are like that. I'm a fan of such characters in part because I'm fairly quiet and not entirely filled with high self-esteem. Also, characters like that tend to evoke strong emotions. When you see that a character is in need, you want to like them and to help them. At least, that's my response to characters like that.

I don't think people are expressing a derogatory or demeaning view of women so much as they are approving of characters that are more approachable. Besides, having a vulnerable side to a character adds a layer of humanity that might not otherwise be present. Especially with Haruhi, who is slightly abnormal.

Plus, it's realistic to show a character's weak side. Everyone has a weak side, even if they pretend not to. We're all afraid of the same things deep down; we're afraid of being alone, of being forgotten, and of accomplishing nothing in our short lives.
Strephon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Well, I did say that at least the trailer is crap. Which I did see. And was crap. And if it's indicative of the series as a whole, the series is crap.

Which trailer? FUNimation has 12 on their site. And no, the trailer for volume 1 isn't "indicative of the series as a whole" (I agree it's not very good in that respect). Trailers are supposed to be quick, attention-grabbing and flashy, so they're best at showing quick, flashy moments from the product in question. You can't convey "this show has surprisingly serious characterization" in a 5-second clip, so there's not much point in trying. (Without resorting to heavy-handed narration of the "But Akito's exterior conceals a dark secret" variety, anyway.)

Kodocha's strength (for those who like that sort of thing, anyway) is the way it mixes zany comedy with serious situations. It would be possible to make a trailer that made it look like a somber drama about broken families...but that would be just as misleading, and put off a different set of people. But at least somber dramas don't get brushed off the way comedies do...
kanami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
So, two words about what I think about Haruhi Suzumiya.

1) I don't get all the "THIS **** IS HYPED" thing. I mean, yeah, lots of people say it's a great series, but is there anyone that actually has said, in a serious review, not in a fanboyish mode, or in a forum like 4chan, that it is "The best ANIMU EVAR!"? I think there are actually few people that do that. And most of them are just trolls. Then... why do you take this hype thing too goddamn serious? There's a saying in my country: Take things from who they come from. There is a big difference between "it's my favourite anime ever" and "it's the best anime ever". My point is that there are many Haruhi Suzumiya fans out there, but I suppose most of us can be smart enough to have a balanced opinion about the series. There was the publicitary stunt with the ASOS Brigade, but I beg every one to dont mind about it, and aproach this anime with an open mind. I think that if you want to apreciate a series in a balanced way, you have to avoid being influenced by "THE HYPE". Lucky Star is a very good example of a good anime being backlashed because it was not what the "hype"rs expected.

2) On the other hand, I think that most people can't fully undestand the success of Haruhi because they don't know the context in which it was released. Anybody that follows the blogging community and download fansubs however, must remember that almost nobody actually cared about Haruhi. So when the first episode was released, it soon became apparent that everyone was surprised by it. Some thought it was dull, others thought it was extremely clever (go to http://www.minaidehazukashii.com/ to see a funny refview about haw the creators carefully did it in order to be awful), but almost everyone was interested in it. A few epsiodes after, everybody was talking about it. And the fans, not under the influence of some big ad campaing, started to make fan art, parody strips, parody videos of the dance (but i think that part of the show was carefully planed).
In a few words, Haurhi is a special case of fans actually being so influenced by a surprise hit, with many, many things to like, that they sincerely wanted to make noise about it. It certainly doesnt make the series good, but it gives its fans a very special feeling of having fun while watching it, and not only the anime, but the experience with all the other fans made some people became fond of it.[/b]
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Two words: Use Netflix.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6