• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Teen Stabs Guard to Steal…Used Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Another Darwin Award contender. Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
how is this even close to a Darwin Award?
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Why is this news on an anime site? One of the managers at the record store I worked at got stabbed trying to stop a shoplifter and I didn't see Rolling Stone or Pitchfork report that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
v1cious:
Quote:

He works in a pachinko parlor, and he ripped off a used manga store. He's clearly got his prorities wrong.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Why is this news on an anime site? One of the managers at the record store I worked at got stabbed trying to stop a shoplifter and I didn't see Rolling Stone or Pitchfork report that.

Did you not see that he stole manga? Rolling Eyes That's something when somebody has resorted to stealing as the first case I have ever heard of.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
NICE!! 9 in. of cold steel ramming inside of me is a small price to pay for the happiness in a kid's eye's with manga in his hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
saini85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
One week to heal? That's not a stabbing ...that's a scratching. Also I agree that this is very remotely related to anime and doesn't really merit front page news.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Speaking as someone who lived in both countries:

Shoplifting is not news in America. It is news in relatively crime-free Japan. Armed robbery in a country with anti-gun ownerhip, even more so. Armed robbery, for ten used manga...well, that's why a national newspaper in Japan covered this story from a small town in central Japan.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Let me guess... slow news day?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
pretty sad. Stabbing someone over $50 in used manga. I mean, you know you can probably find scans of it online if youre that desperate to have Manga.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
pretty sad. Stabbing someone over $50 in used manga. I mean, you know you can probably find scans of it online if youre that desperate to have Manga.

No, that's if you're that desperate to read the manga, to have it you stab someone and take it, that's how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
JustSomeguy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
So? I once killed three people for a Crunch bar...

(I'm competitive by nature)
10円

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

&
jgreen wrote:

&
saini85 wrote:
One week to heal? That's not a stabbing ...that's a scratching. Also I agree that this is very remotely related to anime and doesn't really merit front page news.

All of your stocks just went way up. Oh, and SPAMMER's stock just hit rock bottom. Again.

Proman wrote:
Let me guess... slow news day?

There are no such things; there are just days when the news media can't be bothered to get off their asses and report on something worthwhile. Seriously, once I started deviating from the traditional American news media I found that there were all types of very important stories that were being held back to make way for the latest updates on the mating habits and missing whereabouts of mindless twits. I have a lot of respect for ANN, but I also feel that their choices for news articles sometimes seems a little suspect. They also have a tendency to get a little one-sided from time to time.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Only problem is...what manga title is worth stabbing somebody?

Im sure it wasnt "fruits basket"
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Only problem is...what manga title is worth stabbing somebody?

Im sure it wasnt "fruits basket"

Nah, it's Sorcerer Stabber Orphen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4