• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest in Tenchi Muyo!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Byron wrote:

Waydaminnit, wasn't Tenchi the Movie 2 the one where Tenchi has a daughter that gets all freak nasty with him while he's sleeping?

If so, ew. That was pretty gross.

Tenchi wrote:

Do I need to put Spoiler Space here? I find most Spoiler Warnings/Spoiler Space to be a bit insulting to my intelligence since 90% of the time, the subject line itself is a good enough indicator as to whether or not the nature of the subject being discussed is one in which spoilers are likely to appear. But, there wasn't the name of the series in the subject line, so I guess I will, although the statute of limitations for Tenchi the Movie 2: Daughter of Darkness spoilers has got to be almost up; it has been available over 4 years legitimately.

Mayuka is a clone Yuzuha created from Tenchi's DNA and silver, and, like the whole Sakuya/Yugi thing from Tenchi in Tokyo, crystals are somehow involved. I don't know if you can really call a clone a "daughter". But the fact she thinks of Tenchi as her father yet she can't seem to keep her tongue off him makes the film disturbing enough.

Hmm.... I wonder what it would have been like if Tenchi had liked her back in that way?

(On the roof of the Lindbergh Palace hotel.)

Royal Tenenbaum: Mayuka Masaki?
Tenchi: Yeah.
Royal: Since when?
Tenchi: Since I met her on the temple stairs.
Royal: Does she know?
Tenchi: Uh-huh.
Royal: Well, what does she feel about that?
Tenchi: It's difficult to tell, since, for the most part, Yuzuha put those feelings in her head. But she's confused.
Royal: Well, I can understand that; it's probably illegal!
Tenchi: I don't think so; she's not my real daughter. Yuzuha created her using my DNA, silver and crystals somehow in a way that wasn't explained too well, since this was just a short summer "roadshow" festival movie, not quite a full-length feature.
Royal: That's true, still frowned upon, but then what isn't these days, right? I don't blame you, by the way; she's a great looking girl and smart as a whip.
(Ryo-oh Ki flys down to the roof, as the opening verse of the Velvet Underground's "Stephanie Says" is heard in the background.)

Gatsu wrote:

It's not the only anime I thought had incest. I always thought the girl in Firetripper married her brother. And if you read between the lines of Lupin: Twilight of the Gemini, Lupin might be kissing his own cousin.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I didn't get that Lord Byronius's initial message in this thread was probably in reference to an answer Zac gave that sequels are sometimes better than the originals.

Zac wrote:
I preferred Tenchi The Movie 2 to Tenchi Muyo in Love, simply because it didn’t have the creepy incest undertones. Tenchi Forever was even better than the first two, even.

Uuh... it's the other way around... Tenchi Muyo in Love was about Tenchi protecting his mother from Kain in the past; Tenchi the Movie 2: Daughter of Darkness/Manatsu no Eve was the one where Tenchi was visited by his mysterious "daughter" who attempted to make advances on him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pilot Zero

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:27 pm Reply with quote
yeah Tenchi the Movie 2 was ok. but the whole his cloned daughter makin moves on him, i mean, cmon. I prefer Tenchi in Love much more to this one. I am a big tenchi fan, but for some reason tenchi the movie 2 just, a tad strange. but still it was pretty good, too short though.
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:34 am Reply with quote
watch angel sanctuary, which i can only assume spawned this whole conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1