• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima! Live-Action Confirmed by Creator Ken Akamatsu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This should prove interesting to say the least. I want to see the kid that'll play Eva and Chachamaru, perhaps the roles requiring the most creative casting decisions.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Casting 31 Japanese girls is the easy part. What's going to be hard is finding a 10 year-old Welsh kid whose fluent in Japanese!

BWAH!HA!HA!HA!

This will be an all-Japanese cast unless I really miss the mark. It shouldn't be considering there's not only Negi, but Eva, Chachamaru, Zazie, & Mana (am I missing anything?) but I've seen Japanese stuff were at times they don't worry about details like that.

Anyway, I have zero confidence in this being worth watching.
Mokkori

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Casting 31 Japanese girls is the easy part. What's going to be hard is finding a 10 year-old Welsh kid whose fluent in Japanese!

What's really going to be hard is finding 31 Japanese girls between the ages of 16-23(because that's probably going to be the age range of most of the cast) that can actually act at a better quality then just half-assed.

A warning to ye who are brave enough to dare watch this show. As all ye know most of the girls in show wil have to "act cute". But be warned! There is nothing more soul crushingly terrifying in the Japanese entertainment industry as actresses in their late teen-early 20's trying to act cute, at this day and age. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I have zero confidence in this being worth watching.

I think that means that you have significantly more confidence than most people. I am well and truly into the negative digits in my expectations of this, to the point of actually being so bad it could be a smash hit not unlike the 60s Batman.

Seriously, let's take a look at everything that is going to cause massive problems for adapting this into a series:

-Terrible CG special effects, because there are so many magic sequences in the comics and anime that the effects budget will have to nearly double the cost of production or be cut back like the Hulk tv series.

-31 actors should be fine, 31 speaking roles is a nightmare, even if most of them are silent 60% of the time. Even in the second aime series, which cut out most of the extras, there were still at least 12-15 major and minor characters with significant acting or speaking roles each episode. And keeping track of who is who without the varied ethnic appearance is going to be even harder.

-A ten year old boy getting hit on by girls almost twice his age? THAT should go over so well with the Japanese PTA groups. Expect to see the sexual humor to be nearly gutted. And love it or hate it, what would Negima be without the class prez constantly trying to get into his pants? Or for that matter Evangeline turning every quest to get his blood into some sort of double entendre?

-A severely underaged magic-using teacher with potential relationships with the whole class? This is either going to be Harry Potter light or "Great Teacher Onizuka: Bottom of the Barrel."

Frankly, the series should stay in the cartoon realm, where more of the concepts can be translated to the screen.
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
GATSU wrote:
A live-action Negima's already been done. It's called Harry Potter. Rolling Eyes Anyway, I'm just wondering how they're gonna get away with all the loli jokes on primetime Japanese tv.

Yeah, cause Harry Potter is totally a harem comedy.

I can see that. Hermione having a crush on Snape, and... excuse me, I just scared myself.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
I hope Eva get casted by a super cute white girl. she is my favorite negima character. I love ass kicking Lolitas. she wears the cutest cloths she is truly a Gothic Lolita.
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Splitter wrote:
After this promptly fails, I want it made an official rule that it's impossible to adapt this manga.

Perhaps this should be listed as one of the 100 some odd rules of anime. But generally speaking I honestly think that almost any manga can have a good adaptation and I personally think that negima can have a proper adaptation but it would need a lot of input from akamatsu more along the lines of him being the director if that ever happens.

Actually, change that to any Akamatsu work (except for Itsudatte My Santa, which was fairly good, but that was an OVA, so it doesn't really count).

I hope no one will take this seriously. Any anime turned into L.A. usually crash and burn, so there's no need to restate this expectation, right? I'm looking forward to this just for a good laugh (just like the English dub).

And I assume the fan service will be reduced to slim to none if it plans on airing on TV.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
somehow I don't like the idea.
32 Fictional characters in animation and manga, drawn solely to fulfill the moe thingy is alright. But In live action, it would be bringing an anime cliche to life. It will look out of place. Its like playing golf in a football field, there is no @$%#@ing holes.
I would watch the trailers nevertheless.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Pocky_aDDict wrote:
Any anime turned into L.A. usually crash and burn, so there's no need to restate this expectation, right?

To be honest, there have been some pretty decent LA adaptations of Anime, but that's usually when they're produced in Japan. While I dont enjoy them, Death Note and Boys Over Flowers (TV) were fairly well done AND faithful at the same time. Same with the Live action Sailor Moon series (camp aside for a well.. camp series). I'm still not going to watch this though due to the fact that I don't like Negima full stop.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
I think an Azumanga Live-Action would stand a better chance than this.

I dunno, how do you even handle the Shotacon-ish personality of Ayaka? Thats gonna be a kicker.
onlylunch2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
sorry double posted >.<

Last edited by onlylunch2 on Sat May 19, 2007 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
onlylunch2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
Okay so everyone's said it so far... Live Action will bite the dust big time. For many reasons:

First the more obvious ones

1) In the anime they move at supersonic speeds, fire incredible magic power and firght demons and stuff! You can NOT reproduce that in Live Action, no matter its its japan or not the CG will still be half-assed since they need to fill alot of scenes.

2) The manga and anime were great! So why the hell are they messing with sucess?? If they have time to make it live action they should at least make a sequel to an anime series or something.

3) I dunno about u guys but im Canadian... to put it simply Anime characters and japanese humans DO NOT LOOK AYTHING LIKE EACH OTHER!! Dont misunderstand me its NOT a racist comment but it'll be confusing as heck to tell whose who and it'll be kinda gay since the anime looked alot better. I'd rather have my amazingly drawn anime characters then have human people take their roles.

4) It'll suck, it just will. Anime and live action are almost polar opposites! You cant turn an apple into an orange dammit.

5) Dubbing will be impossible since words wont math mouth movement, subbing will be unlikely since no wants to watch, let alone sub it. So this will appeal or be viewed only by japanese-like people really.

I honestly think this is the dumbest idea possible, negima has a good name and reputation so why tarnish that with this off-the-wall impossibly crazy idea? Im still curious and want to see it.... well, more like want to see how much of a failure this will be. Sorry but anime = impossible in reality.

Nonne the less, this is my opinion as of right now. I might also be totally wrong (which i am often for that matter) however for all negima fans' sake i hope this live action bit is really well done and a great sucess.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
onlylunch2 wrote:
1) In the anime they move at supersonic speeds, fire incredible magic power and firght demons and stuff! You can NOT reproduce that in Live Action, no matter its its japan or not the CG will still be half-assed since they need to fill alot of scenes.

This is being made by the same country that has produced fifteen billion Power Ranger/Sentai series, so cheap CG/monster costumes is not an issue. Whether it will look good or not is really up to the individual.

Quote:
2) The manga and anime were great! So why the hell are they messing with sucess?? If they have time to make it live action they should at least make a sequel to an anime series or something.

Which one? the one that failed miserably or the one that's still going on?

Doesn't make much sense, to be honest.

Quote:
3) I dunno about u guys but im Canadian... to put it simply Anime characters and japanese humans DO NOT LOOK AYTHING LIKE EACH OTHER!! don't misunderstand me its NOT a racist comment but it'll be confusing as heck to tell whose who and it'll be kinda gay since the anime looked alot better. I'd rather have my amazingly drawn anime characters then have human people take their roles.

Yeah, because Akamatsu's faces were 'amazing'. Would you prefer ungodly plastic surgery? I mean, obviously you're going to get human faces and that unfortunantly feeds back into a 'theyre making a live action thing" and Im not sure where this is going.

Quote:
4) It'll suck, it just will. Anime and live action are almost polar opposites! You can't turn an apple into an orange dammit.

It's been done before and with success.

Quote:
5) Dubbing will be impossible since words wont math mouth movement, subbing will be unlikely since no wants to watch, let alone sub it. So this will appeal or be viewed only by japanese-like people really.

Oh no, a Japanese series made for the Japanese market! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

This is made with the Japanese market in mind. Dubbing, if it were ever done, wouldn't be impossible, as LA stuff has been and continues to be dubbed forever. Besides which, there are groups who will still sub the series, and won't give up because some pessemistic, jaded anime fan on a message board is bleeding into her c-rag at this point in time.
sharm

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
When they say "live action" which one do they mean? A movie or drama series??
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think its been said which, but it will probably be a TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5