• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
Hotaruzuki wrote:
I WANT THE PERSON WITH THAT COLLECTION DEAD

(...as soon as i get it all in his/her will)

did i mention i was single?

ladies, start your engines!!!

Laughing

>_> It's always a tough sell to say, "Hey, I'm single, by the way, check out my huge anime collection!!!!" Unless you have pictures of yourself lounging seductively all over your DVDs...

*drools at the Tenchi set*
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice analysis on the bio-bullet. And I would love to have a yogurt dispenser like that. Very Happy

@icepick: Dear God, that collection is huge. Do you have any idea how many DVDs you actually have?

I keep selling off DVDs that are only so-so, so I haven't hit 400 quite yet. I end up selling most of the DVDs I get from those TRSI abundance sales, so those don't add much to my collection permanently. Out of the 300 DVDs I've gotten from those sales, I think I've kept about 30 (plus 2 CDs). I think I'll actually hit 400 and stay over that number by the end of this year. Eh, maybe around February or March of next year. After factoring out the DVDs I'm going to sell as soon as I finish Gilgamesh (I'm really glad I got that show cheap), I have 370 DVDs.

But I've obtained that over the last 7 years. And you must have about three times that in only two years. Shocked

However, my manga collection is quite healthy. I currently have 588 manga volumes, not including a couple that I've decided to drop and get rid of the volumes I have. Such as Mar which started fumbling the ball around volume 6, juggled it for good measure around volume 10, and tossed it out the stadium in volume 13. That's 12 (since I never actually bought 13) books worth of space I can use for something far better.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

Cheer up. If it makes you feel better, the only thing I have is Hellsing: Ultimate Series 1 and Akira DVD.

Oh man, I am sooooooooooo behind Sad
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

Cheer up. If it makes you feel better, the only thing I have is Hellsing: Ultimate Series 1 and Akira DVD.

Oh man, I am sooooooooooo behind Sad

Don't worry... I just have the Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness and the FMA movie. I share your pain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, although I started the [Suzuka Vol. 1] disc with a lot of eye-rolling and skepticism, I found myself rather interested by the end. For me, having the musical score and the acting and, most of all, the timing, really helped. And, luckily, the side characters really don't get that much screen time.
I think somewhere around episode 19 or 20, I was wishing and hoping that the side characters would get some more screen time, because I was just that sick of Yamato's stupidity and Suzuka's stubborness.
Ryllharu wrote:
Putting aside the horrible pronunciation, unnecessary accents, and losing a lot of the conviction in Yamato's voice in the dub of Suzuka...
I saw the first couple of dubbed episodes when Funimation screened them at ACen, and I didn't care for their pronunciations either. Funimation's good at script re-writing to make things flowing and natural for the English language, but I wish they'd pay more attention to name pronunciation...the VAs even said "Well, when something seems weird to read in English with the Japanese pronunciation, we change it a bit." So they'd rather be wrong than "weird," I guess. Nevertheless, the first 2 DVDs are coming my way thanks to the TRSI Funi sale awhile back, so I guess I liked the story or something enough.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nice analysis on the bio-bullet. And I would love to have a yogurt dispenser like that. Very Happy

@icepick: Dear God, that collection is huge. Do you have any idea how many DVDs you actually have?

I keep selling off DVDs that are only so-so, so I haven't hit 400 quite yet. I end up selling most of the DVDs I get from those TRSI abundance sales, so those don't add much to my collection permanently. Out of the 300 DVDs I've gotten from those sales, I think I've kept about 30 (plus 2 CDs). I think I'll actually hit 400 and stay over that number by the end of this year. Eh, maybe around February or March of next year. After factoring out the DVDs I'm going to sell as soon as I finish Gilgamesh (I'm really glad I got that show cheap), I have 370 DVDs.

But I've obtained that over the last 7 years. And you must have about three times that in only two years. Shocked

However, my manga collection is quite healthy. I currently have 588 manga volumes, not including a couple that I've decided to drop and get rid of the volumes I have. Such as Mar which started fumbling the ball around volume 6, juggled it for good measure around volume 10, and tossed it out the stadium in volume 13. That's 12 (since I never actually bought 13) books worth of space I can use for something far better.
bad habit of mine is i'm sorta packrat in regards to DVD...only time i sell off is when there's newer and better stuff comes out like director's cut or remastered versions...

and i stopped counting after i hit 2000 DVDs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, that really is a huge DVD collection... Shocked I'm so jealous! D: My collection is so puny compared to that, and I don't even really have proper shelves. I kinda just have to put my DVDs wherever they will fit, so I probably couldn't take good pictures of my DVDs to send in. I just discovered that I do actually have a camera around here that I was using to take picture of my cats, so I should use that up and get it developed though. I still need to take a new picture of myself too, even though no one wants to see that.

Man, I want to see Le Chevalier D'Eon even more now. I keep hearing about how awesome it is, but I'm pretty much broke from the current TRSI sale. And I don't think my parents want me ordering anything else for a little while... ^^;
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
bad habit of mine is i'm sorta packrat in regards to DVD...only time i sell off is when there's newer and better stuff comes out like director's cut or remastered versions...

I know that feeling, but I'm still counting... Embarassed

Is that 2000 figure just anime or DVDs total?
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
icepick314 wrote:

I know that feeling, but I'm still counting... Embarassed

Is that 2000 figure just anime or DVDs total?

DVDs total...

if i were to collect DBZ and Pokemon DVDs, then anime DVDs probably would reach 2000 easily
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks for letting us know about Linda, Linda, Linda. I've been watching more Asian live action films than usual recently, and I'll have to add that to the list.

Re: icepick's awesome collection, I'm supremely jealous of the quantity, but luckily s/he and I have different tastes in manga, so that saves me from pining away all day at work today Anime smile I would clean up at the Right Stuf sales as well, if they didn't always come when I have no money Sad Like the most recent Geneon sale? The same week it started, my new summer job told me they're withholding my first paycheck, so I'm not being paid until the first week of July. You must have a lot better luck than I do!
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 am Reply with quote
A part of me died when I saw that collection. At least I can start collecting now, when I'm still young! (and when people still give me money...)
MissAsako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
I seriously think I just died after viewing that collection.
Shocked

I might have one of the smallest collections on this board. It's like 4 DVDs and some manga.

It's hard to keep up when you have such an anti-anime mom in the house.

D:
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
A part of me died when I saw that collection. At least I can start collecting now, when I'm still young! (and when people still give me money...)

I think that ANN should post a poll asking if you died inside after viewing that collection but I don't think that they will. All I know that I was crying in my Pathetism when I saw it. I don't know if my anime DVD collection will ever get that big unless anime DVDs become as cheap as manga, and my current manga collection is approx five times the size as my anime collection.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Le Chevalier D'Eon:
The one episode I've seen of this show so far (from a NewType trailer disc) instantly left me wanting more. I'm something of a history nut, so it goes without saying that the setting of the show itself just drew me in; the setup of the plot and the characters did the rest. I picked up the first volume from an unlisted Best Buy sale, but until conditions improve (read: the next Deep Discount sale) I'm gonna have to hold off picking up the rest.

The shelf:
icepick314 wrote:

I have something of the same mentality regarding what I buy. Out of everything that I've bought so far, I've probably only sold 15-20% of it away. Mostly because I'd either gotten my fill of whatever DVD, or simply because my tastes had changed.

Anyways, that collection still equals win.
djarch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Of course my DVD collection isn't that big, but I think having a big collection isn't always a good thing. In my case, I have too many shows that I didn't really enjoy all that much. Way too often, I watched the first episode on a Newtype Mag disc, and just bought the whole thing based on that - Samurai Gun a good example for this one imo.

Or, I wish I had at least waited for the thinpack release... Scrapped Princess a good example imo.

I think almost half of my 200+ DVDs, I've only watched once, because I didn't think they were all that great... of course, this was during the "License everything and run my company into almost bankruptcy" phase.

Still, tis better to have more anime than you need, than not enough.

Just a blessing and a curse, imo. =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5