• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oshii's Latest Film, The Sky Crawlers, Set for 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Carl: I liked both films, but I'll agree that the sequel added some humanism which the original lacked. What I appreciate about the first film was the way that Oshii was able to condense the techie concepts in Shirow's manga, since they tended to be more masturbatory than the actual hentai. Plus Shirow tends to recycle his futuristic cop content, and I really couldn't tell the difference between the characters in GITS and those in Appleseed.

There are certainly similarities, but there's also arguably a great deal of difference between the worldview of Deunan Knute, who breaks down when she realizes she's gone from being a cop to becoming a member of a death squad, and the Major, who defends herself in court with the statement "death is the only reality, and I'm a realist." While Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk, Appleseed is in an older tradition, one that Bruce Sterling returned to in Holy Fire--SF stories that take seriously the idea of creating a better society as a whole, even with all the contradictions that entails. It arguably aspires to a deeper form of networking than the kind always being bandied about in Ghost, where the net serves as a way for the Major, already a rather cold and super-elite individual, to escape what is left of her common humanity.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
a great deal of difference between the worldview of Deunan Knute, who breaks down when she realizes she's gone from being a cop to becoming a member of a death squad, and the Major, who defends herself in court with the statement "death is the only reality, and I'm a realist."

I think only one of those characters would realistically say "I set things up so he would shoot his own son"...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
So was there a good reason why he hasn't seen his kid in 20 years? She moved out of the country and he couldn't afford the plane ticket....stuff like that.

It's sad that this film is being "tweaked" so that it can compete with a Miyazaki title. It should be "make a good title first and make money second", not the reverse here. Besides, he can't compete with a Hayao Miyazaki film. Smile
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's sad that this film is being "tweaked" so that it can compete with a Miyazaki title.
I didn't get that impression from the report of the press conference at all. In fact, I think Oshii was saying just the opposite.

Also, I just heard that Oshii's dog Gabriel died. Sad...
eloyabun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Did not know Oshii had a daughter, is he divorced or something like that? Confused
toru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2