• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Directors Speak as Protests Continue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Wow, the Singapore police take anime fans seriously - 4 buses of riot police for a park gathering!

They'd honestly be better off just banning all anime from Singapore and going from there.

This is not going to end until it ends VERY ugly.

Which see this debate...

ikillchicken wrote:

I don't know why people have such trouble wrapping their head around the concept mskala is trying to explain. You example is not the same as the store cannot resell the returned clothing. Your friend might as well have stolen it since the store has lost that item and recieved no payment. When you download something, the company has not lost 1 of its product. All you are doing is painting everything as black and white, colors which issues rarely are.

If you really want to go down that road, you'd probably have to close down most anime conventions in the US short of AX and maybe a couple of others who exclusively use licensed material.

I mean, the $64,000 question is whether fansubs do anime good (because it's the only way people can see anime not licensed yet for the US and gauge how popular it might be -- which see Ouran) or bad (because the downloaders won't buy anime at all...).

This is going to really come home -- HARD -- soon. There's gonna be a crackdown in the States if the US anime companies can manage it, and it isn't going to be much longer.

CCSYueh wrote:

It IS black & white.
It's the downloaders who are trying to wiggle thru.
"Using" an anime or tv show is VIEWING it. Once it has been viewed, it has been used. How do downloaders compensate the artists who drew it, the writers who put their ideas into the scripts, & the actors who bring it to life? Unless someone creates a pill to make one forget what one has watched & downloaders take that pill immediately after watching an episode, they can't "un-use" the anime they have used so it is EXACTLY the same as George using Lane Bryant's generous return policy from about a decade ago where if the customer was unsatisfied, they could return the item. I loved it because sometimes I would buy an item, but then not use it, so maybe 6 months later I'd take it back with the tag & everything still on it. That policy ended due to abuse from people like George.

I reiterate my comment: You'd pretty well have to close down most anime avenues to the general public, even here in the States, with that kind of stand.

There was a convention which, in 2006, had EIGHT ROOMS of unlicensed fansub anime.

CCSYueh wrote:

If no one sees you murder someone or if you're never caught for the murder, is the dead person any less dead just because you were never caught? I've seen far too many people express the idea it's only a crime if one gets caught.

I had this argument on the Internet years and years ago -- my stand is that no crime is committed until you are caught and prosecuted. (Innocent until proven guilty and the like...)

CCSYueh wrote:

And Downloading Anime has been subtley compared to Murder. Don't ya just love Fansub debates?

Well, if you view what's happening to the anime industry, there are a lot of people who say fansubs murder the industry.

CCSYueh wrote:

One can't undo murder. One can't unview a piece of art one has viewed. Yes, it works. Even with theft one can pay back the person one stole from, but one can't give back a life & one can't give back that first reaction to seeing a new piece of art.
Yes, there are people who can brazenly steal from others because "It's not stealing" Party crashers--the food's being served anyway, I'm just one more mouth. But you weren't invited. It wasn't meant for you. Tuff luck bunnykins.

So what you are saying then is that the US audience has NO RIGHT to the material until the US companies license and release it...

See my comment above on conventions (which could probably also be extended to many anime clubs.

ikillchicken wrote:

Sure, its excuses when we point out stuff in defence of downloads but when you point out why downloads are bad its fact! Why are your arguements any more valid than ours? Why arent your examples just as "cooked up" to back up what you're saying. Infact, all you're really doing is repeatedly throwing out black and white moral judgements based on no actual analysis of the issue. It amounts to yelling "you got it without paying so you're stealing!" and "Anything you say is an excuse" If thats all you base your opinion on fine, but youre not going to convince anyone with it so you might as well give it up.

That would be nice, but I do begin to wonder when that's going to be responded with a termination of the availability of anime to the US audience -- to some extent or another.

There are people who might even claim that's already happening.

CCSYueh wrote:

Because you're trying to justify stealing.
Just like my clients who have court orders to do things & a million excuses as to why they can't. Court orders someone to stay away from their ex--"But I love her" was the guy's excuse when he was trying to explain being arrested for violating the restraining order. She obviously doen't love him. Stay away.

A side comment first:

Take it from someone who's had orders like that put on him years ago: You'd be better off having already had him in jail in the first place -- chances are that the target is not the only person being threatened by the perp.

I guess I'll ask the same question here I did in the other thread: Are anime fans the ally or the enemy?

CCSYueh wrote:

Sorry to all the people living in places where anime isn't readily available. You know what people did before the internet? Paid OBSCENE anounts for black market versions or did without.

STOLE IT or did without.

Same diff.

CCSYueh wrote:

Or made their own knock off versions (I remember hearing back in the '70's Russians would pay obscene amounts of money for real American blue jeans). Just because the internet provides you with a cheap option of getting your fix you still aren't entitled to a copy (pulls out trudge 5 miles to school thru snow story. No, I actually never did. I'm SoCal, right?) My mom has all kinds of fascinating stories of what they had to do without during WWII when she was a kid. When I was a child in the '60's we didn't have HBO & Showtime. Cable was unheard of. We had the big 3 networks, no way to record programs, etc. etc. etc.

The problem with this argument is that you weren't entitled to a copy _then_ either -- if black market and the like was the only option. The Internet just represents a whole new and more readily available black market.

Anime companies really have two choices:

They can either start releasing the stuff themselves with subs a lot closer to the date of airing in Japan

or

lobby for obscene restrictions on what can be seen and downloaded off the Net.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ikillchicken"]
CSSYueh wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
People who know me also know I have over 2000 anime dvds & over 2100 volumes of manga/manwha. If I want to try a show, I watch free previews offered with Newtype. I bought Saiyuki based entirely on the trailer on ADV dvds or in-store impulse--I forget now, but it was without viewing a single ep or reading a single word of manga. 12 Kingdoms I held off buying until I watched an ep at Comic-con, but my interest came entirely from what I'd read in Newtype about the show. I waited to buy the SDK anime until I read a volume or 2 of the manga. I wanted GetBackers from the moment I saw a 2-page spread in Newtype. I've started titles & disliked them enough to drop them later, but I still bought that first 1, 2, 3, whatever dvds.

It must be nice to have enough money that you can just go out on a limb and buy whatever Anime you think might be good and buy any Anime you want to see. Interestingly, it also makes it incredibly easy to tell people who can't afford to do that "do without" when in no scenario would you ever have to do so. I wonder, If you would just "do without" in such a situation?

Yeah i'm sorry but I have to agree here. Sure you have enough money to go out and buy yourself and your teen a shitload of stuff. Congrats. But realize that not everyone out there is as fortunate as you and I.

Yeah...i've got over 1300 dvds/vhs/manga around.

I can say honestly I probably couldn't do without. In fact- I haven't. Money for me has recently become a bit of an issue (...my allowance got cut pretty bad) but even before that i'd download but still buy some of them. Manga is a big deal for me- thats why I try to put out printable coupons for others because I like to be cheap about things.

Hell- even now I watch One Piece whenever its out. I just can't condem others outright though- because I know how much joy I get from watching things and how much i'd hate to have it taken away from me.

As for these folks, regardless if they're stealing considering the crap they get when they DO buy I can't blame them. I just hope no one gets hurt physically during the protests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

It must be nice to have enough money that you can just go out on a limb and buy whatever Anime you think might be good and buy any Anime you want to see. Interestingly, it also makes it incredibly easy to tell people who can't afford to do that "do without" when in no scenario would you ever have to do so. I wonder, If you would just "do without" in such a situation?

As a widowed single parent, I am about 10 grand below the median income I saw listed recently on net for California. I'm not rich. I don't use illegal drugs, drink alcohol or use tobacco products so that combined with my ability to locate a good bargain (anime as cheap as $2 per dvd-Jubei-chan-used at Gamestop). I wait for a lot of box sets to go on sale. I buy manga from RightStf on sale for about $6 per volume for the $10 list.
I'm not rich. I just fund my hobby with money others would spend on "vices" & other hobbies (I have 2 yaoi computer games & 1 shojo game. I bought my 2nd computer about a year ago, replacing a 1998 model). I brown bag(most of my co-workers go to restaurants for lunch every day. My drink of choice is a 12 oz can of diet soda diluted with twice as much water.

ikillchicken wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
It IS black & white.

Okay, were done here. I see no point in arguing with someone who believes the world is black and white. Its a completely unrealistic view.

No. 90% of the world is various shades of grey. However people deserve to be paid for their work. Not paying someone is stealing. I work damn hard for my money & deserve what I earn. Not paying someone is basically making them your slave. If they do something for you out of the goodness of their black little heart, then it's a favor. I've never seen the animators say "Here, take this anime-all the eps- for free-my favor to you". I've seen a few random artists (often more at the top of the food chain like directors) say they don't care about downloading, but I don't see how they can speak for every person involved in a project.

If you like something enough to say your're a fan, you should want the person(s) making it to be properly compensated so they'll make more. I saw lots of bands I liked back in the '80's having to support themselves with day jobs & many finally gave up the band & settlled for the day job when they realized their lucky break wasn't coming.

And yeah, I have called the FBI on people at swap meets selling bootlegs.

starcade wrote:

If you really want to go down that road, you'd probably have to close down most anime conventions in the US short of AX and maybe a couple of others who exclusively use licensed material.

I mean, the $64,000 question is whether fansubs do anime good (because it's the only way people can see anime not licensed yet for the US and gauge how popular it might be -- which see Ouran) or bad (because the downloaders won't buy anime at all...).

Ouran rocks.
I've never seen 1 second of the anime(stills. Have a tv book I bought at con)
I've bought the manga from the start though & do want to see the anime. Why do I need to download it? I know the manga is good & the overall reaction from Japan is positive so it's simple to deduce it's good & I want to see it.

???
Comic-con gets permission from the anime companies for all their anime. Hell, they get titles that haven't even been released on dvd yet to air. It's part of that asking permission thing mentioned at the beginning of dvds & I assunme all cons have to ask pernission or they'd lose the support of the anime companies.

starcade wrote:

I reiterate my comment: You'd pretty well have to close down most anime avenues to the general public, even here in the States, with that kind of stand.

There was a convention which, in 2006, had EIGHT ROOMS of unlicensed fansub anime.

I repeat what I said about comic-con international. I spoke with the guy in charge of the anime year before last & all the stuff is cleared with the companies. Many companies are more than willing to offer screening copies.
I would question any US con that would air fansubs

starcade wrote:

I had this argument on the Internet years and years ago -- my stand is that no crime is committed until you are caught and prosecuted. (Innocent until proven guilty and the like...)

Innocent until proven guilty is one thing
Guilty but waiting to be convicted before admitting (if ever) is wrong.
I happen to believe what goes around comes around & alkl the evil one does comes back on one 3-fold so people who break the law will get theirs somewhere, but with that philosophy obviously keeping one's mouth shut about one's crime doesn't matter. Wrong-doers will get theirs so I don't have to waste time being angry & vengeful when someone wrongs me.

It is pretty ridiculous to confront someone with a positive drug test & have them insist it's wrong-we must have switched their urine with someone else's(that's why we make the testers pour it in the vial themselves & seal the bag & put the bag on the fridge thenselves--we don't handle it). I've heard people try to insist their significant others use so that must be why they're positive(doesn't work that way), 2nd hand smoke (test are a lot more sophisticated now so that's creared out with the 2nd screen), some got on their skin (doesn't work that way).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
The court order say no controlled substance without a valid prescription. No excuse.
But I'm going thru a hard time.
I was at a party & everyone was doing it.
My boyfriend is slipping it into my food to get me in trouble.

starcade wrote:

So what you are saying then is that the US audience has NO RIGHT to the material until the US companies license and release it...

See my comment above on conventions (which could probably also be extended to many anime clubs

Contact any of the anime licensees. When my teen was going to start an anime club, they sent me a bunch of preview dvds (The club died as many things do with kids). Mediablasters actually sent me 3 which had a first ep of a couple titles per dvd. I thought ADV still has that kind oif thing. Funi also. All it takes is going to the website & signing up (or it did then)

starcade wrote:

A side comment first:
Take it from someone who's had orders like that put on him years ago: You'd be better off having already had him in jail in the first place -- chances are that the target is not the only person being threatened by the perp.

Usually with my clients there's a restraining order, but they believe made up with the person who took it out so I tell my guys they can't be with that person for their own protection. Things may be ok now, but one fight-suddenly the cops are called & guess who's in jail? It's trouble waiting to happen. Avoid it.

starcade wrote:

I guess I'll ask the same question here I did in the other thread: Are anime fans the ally or the enemy?

I hope the downloaders are just a resistant few & overall anime fans get their stuff thru legit sources. It's like those free birthday meals from Denny's--it was a great thing while it lasted, but it's gone.
Times change.
People used to use outhouses. Most of us have indoor plumbing now.
The argument that fansubs are free advertising is no longer valid since downloading isn't necessary any longer, but those who've gotten the milk for free are reluctant to start paying. Now the licensees offer preview discs, first ep downloads, etc.
Yes, everyone's going to name some obscure anime they want that has never been released, but you don't have to have it.
God knows I want Angelique & Meine Liebe. Hopefully someone will license them. If not, god knows there are tons of other titles out there to watch instead.

I bet there's stuff from America people in other countries would love to see. Do they download them? I know there was a 6 month lag at one time between Charmed & Angel airing in the US & Britain getting them for tv.
The lag can't be fixed because Japan doesn't want otaku to wait for our cheaper releases.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
By the way, I just want to clarify that though I've probably gotten a reputation as being pro-download, thats not entirely accurate. I like to think that Im somewhere in the middle. What I disagree with the most is BS arguements either way. I find myself arguing for downloads more often here since ANN tends to more anti-download. Though this means there are alot of legit arguements posted here, it also means there are alot of baseless ones.

I do certainly accept that downloads take a chunk out of industry profits. However Im not yet convinced that that chunk is increasing relative to the side of the industry. I do see a significant difference between downloads and stealing a tangible product. I also cant really hold it against people who download. Its tough to expect someone to pay $25 a DVD when they can get it for free and Im not gonna be judgemental of someone who chooses the free. I do however think you should at least try to buy some DVDs and support the industry. Also, anyone who deludes themselves with crap like "Anime should be free" or "American companies screw everything up" is an idiot, plain and simple. I've never heard anything that gives merit to such arguements.

EDIT for response to CSSYueh:

CCSYueh wrote:
I am about 10 grand below the median income I saw listed recently on net for California.

I wonder where the average teenage Anime fan falls on that?

CCSYueh wrote:
No. 90% of the world is various shades of grey. However people deserve to be paid for their work.

So, almost everything isnt black and white except this issue were talking about now! Its the exception! Yeah, sure...

CCSYueh wrote:
Not paying someone is basically making them your slave.

Cause comparing downloads to murder wasnt enough...

You heard it here people: downloads = slavery

CCSYueh wrote:
If you like something enough to say your're a fan, you should want the person(s) making it to be properly compensated so they'll make more.

You make the huge assumption that people don't want to compensate the creator and help the industry. Wanting to and being willing to spend the money to do so are quite different.

CSSYueh wrote:
And yeah, I have called the FBI on people at swap meets selling bootlegs.

Good, bootlegs are terrible. They result in money that should go to the industry going to some jackass instead.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Trying to disuade people from downloading fansubs is pointless-if they wanna do it-they're gonna do it no matter what. I do it and anything you tell me won't change my mind. How about people who rent anime dvds from netflix and then make a copy? Is that "evil"? Because again lots and lots of individuals do it-one can pontificate on the subject until the world ends-but the fact that people do it won't change. Are bootlegs bad? I have a mixed opinion on that subject-I used to buy hk anime dvds by the boxfull-don't do it anymore-but not for ethical reasons. On the other hand making copies of R1 dvds that I have in my collection and then hawking em' on ebay-that's unethical as hell.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
How about people who rent anime dvds from netflix and then make a copy? Is that "evil"?

Actually my teen has a friend who's dad did 5 yrs for that.

I don't know if it was 5 yrs in prison or prison plus parole, but he casually let it drop one time
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Actually my teen has a friend who's dad did 5 yrs for that.

I don't know if it was 5 yrs in prison or prison plus parole, but he casually let it drop one time

That guy must've been selling movies wholesale across the internet and on the streets or something to do hard time like that.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
I am about 10 grand below the median income I saw listed recently on net for California.

I wonder where the average teenage Anime fan falls on that?.

Well, allegedly the teen market is prime demographics since teens are viewed by marketing types as having more discretionary money than adults meaning they aren't spending $1600 a month rent, $400 a month on utilities, etc. My teen makes minimum wage, but it's all hers to spend as she chooses so she just paid $100 on E-Bay for Digital Devil Summoner & has 3 games coming out later this month she pre-bought

ikillchicken wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
If you like something enough to say your're a fan, you should want the person(s) making it to be properly compensated so they'll make more.

You make the huge assumption that people don't want to compensate the creator and help the industry. Wanting to and being willing to spend the money to do so are quite different.

Exactly, Rather than respect the artists involved with the project, Jimmy's buying games, Suzie's buying ciggies, & Alice has to have that Starbucks a couple times a week, etc. etc. etc. But if you can't afford to pay for it, why do you think you're entitled to take the work of these artists without compensating them? Wouldn't you care if someone copied your report & turned it into your teacher/professor/whatever? Wouldn't you be upset if a co-worker kept claiming credit for your ideas at work? Or maybe the co-worker is late everry day, but the boss gets in later, so that co-worker has someone else clock him/her in every day-getting paid the same as you for doing less work?
It's a matter of what one considers more important. I was reading the financial section of the paper the other day & an advisor commented she gets all these people who claim they can't afford to save any money for retirement, yet they're sipping a $4 cup of coffee.

Quote:
That guy must've been selling movies wholesale across the internet and on the streets or something to do hard time like that.

It came up when he found out my line of work & I was so shocked I didn't get all of it. He was very casual about it. It was Fed because it was copyright & there was someting about how he was in custody rather than loose on bail...I was amazed at how casual he was about it, but the story seemed a bit strange--he claimed it was personal use, but that didn't sound right when he talked of being locked up so I figured he was fudging the story a tad in case it got back to the kids. He's into all the computer stuff & knows ways around things & telling the kids you did time for copying rental dvds is probably like all these parents who did more drugs than they can remember, but tell their kids they never did.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
I still can't belive you get more jail time for "stealing" movies then for MURDER. It disgusting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Exactly, Rather than respect the artists involved with the project, Jimmy's buying games, Suzie's buying ciggies, & Alice has to have that Starbucks a couple times a week, etc. etc. etc. But if you can't afford to pay for it, why do you think you're entitled to take the work of these artists without compensating them?

Youre assuming we feel some sort of entitlement. You may feel that inorder to use something you have to earn it in some way, but others simply view it that you can get it for free, end of story.

CCSYueh wrote:
Wouldn't you care if someone copied your report & turned it into your teacher/professor/whatever? Wouldn't you be upset if a co-worker kept claiming credit for your ideas at work? Or maybe the co-worker is late everry day, but the boss gets in later, so that co-worker has someone else clock him/her in every day-getting paid the same as you for doing less work?

Those are all really not the same situations. Also, you're making the assumption that downloaders think the creators shouldnt be unhappy that people are able to download their products.

CCSYueh wrote:
It's a matter of what one considers more important. I was reading the financial section of the paper the other day & an advisor commented she gets all these people who claim they can't afford to save any money for retirement, yet they're sipping a $4 cup of coffee.

But its really irrellevant if you would have to cut out something else to buy it. You're still asking people do do without (be that Anime or something else) when they could have it all. Its unfortunate that Anime companies kinda get screwed since their product can be gotten for free.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
nightmaregenie wrote:
3. Where official DVDs are offered they will be devoid of any extras (as in 95% of the time) and the episode counts are per their Japanese release - that is to say, normally two, or at the most three episodes per DVD. Where original Japanese extras are offered they are, more often than not, untranslated/unsubbed.

What may or may not be on a disc is irrelevant, once it becomes licensed, then one should buy the official release. If one wants more extras then let them know. However, just not buying something doesn't tell them what may or may not be wrong with their releases, especially if they see a lot of people downloading. They're just going to assume people are just greedy and want the show for free, and not that they're sitting on their wallets cause they don't like the release (and they are probably largely right).
...and hence...
Quote:
I understand how 3. shouldn't really put people off from buying the official releases but I see a whole lot of R1 consumers complaining about having pricy DVDs for small episode counts and little extras and I just want them to see how at least American distributors are TRYING where the majority simply don't care.

And also, you're assuming that non-R1 companies are willing to listen to what the fans have to say. Like I said, the majority simply don't care, even should you complain about their products. It's mostly a "don't buy if you don't like what's on offer" thing, otherwise the situation would have changed long ago. Heck, they don't even care about bootlegs and illegal downloads - which are probably what's making them lose monay - what makes you think they'd listen to comments about product improvement? Even in R1 complaints about half-hearted dubs and having no extras are largely ignored, and R1 companies are the ones that actually think about consumer preferences.

I hate to say this, but the whole idea of consumers and producers being considerate towards each other and working in harmony isn't as widespread as you might like to think.
Miavi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but reading this from a post at SGCafe, I'd have to put in my 2 cents' worth to clarify certain misconceptions.

1) We admit that some, if not majority, have downloaded anime illegally, knowing it fully that it's illegal in the first place.

2) The protest was not only to protest against the "no illegal anime downloading". It was encompassed to include, but not exhaustive:

i) Protest against ODEX's underhanded methods in lying to the public with very contraicting statements and providing misconceptions and painting the anime community black

ii) Protest against their actions thus far of dropping "love letters" in mailboxes demanding private settlement fees which have been revealed recently, that they do not have the rights to continue pressing charges, especially criminal, as stated in their "love letters"

3) We admit that ODEX's sales are dropping. But it's not entirely because of illegal downloads. They are blaming us, the consumers and fanbase, because THEIR sales are dropping. They did NOT factor in imports, of anime series, merchandise and the likes. All they are looking at are their OWN sales figures, which will drop given their lacklustre quality. Another fact to bring up would be that thus far, out of all the anime series they have obtain licenses to distribute for, it is safe to say that only UP TO 10% of them are available in the market. And they take FOREVER to release those series. A good example would be BLEACH. It's a popular anime here, but extremely slow releases have caused fans to resort to either importing the series or just downloading them.

If there are any clarifications needed, I would be glad to answer them, but it would be even better if you could just take a trip down to sgcafe.com and check out the posts in that section. You will have a clearer view to both sides of this fiasco.
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Also, at first it sounded wonderful that Odex has rvamped their site and offers Video-on-Demand services, promising to be updated very fast.

Now the site doesn't change, and no new videos available for download. Not sure if one should give them the benefit of the doubt and hope theyre keeping quiet cos they're discussing if they should actually release DRM-free files in at least .avi format (currently it's in .wmv, which of course results in poorer quality).

Glad to know at least some posters here are in the neutral zone with regards to downloading fansubs here in Singapore. Odex like to crap about downloading is illegal and all but stubbornly refuse to admit that their sales of VCDs are declining is partly due to the substandard quality of their products as well. In fact, I think it'll probably the biggest main reason why people here stil resort to fansubs.

It's not like we don't have the money. Many buy manga alternatives of the same title and collect figurines. And those who can even import R1/R2 DVDs, which are obviously more expensive than local craps.

So it all boils down to the fact tha their products are utter nonsense and to the point that we'd rather "break the law" and download "illegally" than buying junks like that.

They can stop us from downloading via BT, but there'll always be other alternatives. One could just get a friend from the States to download for them and send the files over MSN/Sendspace/MegaUpload etc.

There's also online streaming so what they're doing i somewhat pointless and they're only burning themselves to a PR disaster.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
All in all, ODEX has no right to complain about fansubs, seeing as they sell CRAP that isn't even half as good as fansubs. Yes, there is a risk in downloading, but many are willing to take that risk because buying from ODEX is not an opetion. Why? Because I have fansubs I downloaded 4 years ago, encoded in DIV3 and mp3 at 56 kb/s that STILL look better then ODEX crap. So why, in the name of all that is good and holy would someone chose to pay for something inferior?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

But its really irrellevant if you would have to cut out something else to buy it. You're still asking people do do without (be that Anime or something else) when they could have it all. Its unfortunate that Anime companies kinda get screwed since their product can be gotten for free.

It's like my husband used to talk about sneaking thru the fence & stealing Shasta soda which a lot of the kids in the area did. What the anime companies are trying to do it seal up all the holes in the fence to stop the uninvited use of their product. Maybe the anime makers can end the practice & maybe not. You can't blame them for trying to eliminate shrinkage.

Maybe part of my annoyance at downloaders is an extension of my annoyance at the people who seem to head out to Costco on the weekends just to get all the free samples to the point one can hardly get around the sample tables to shop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7