• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Librarians Nominate Death Note for Book Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vu Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote
http://www.local6.com/news/5497816/detail.html

TL;DR
Daughter checks out Peach Girl from the library, mom freaks out.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Vu Man wrote:

TL;DR

Is she related to that woman that buys Spawn comics within a 300 mile radius of her home to prevent others from buying it all because it's immoral???
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
Death Note has been put on a couple of Teen recommended reading lists at the library I work at since it has been published, so this doesn't surprise me so much. Death Note has been a librarian darling in many, many different libraries across the nation. I think it has been recommended by the ALA too but I'd have to double check.

Volume 1 of Death Note is listed as a "2007 Top Ten Great Graphic Novels for Teens" on ALA's YALSA website. Errr... ALA = American Library Association, YALSA = Young Adult Library Services Association, for the uninformed and confused.

The thing with the Florida library is interesting. Was any follow up investigation done? Most likely not. Depending on the policies followed by the library, it's likely nothing was "done" per se. Most libraries follow The Library Bill of Rights (which indicates that age should not be used for discriminatory decisions in what a patron may check out), The Freedom to Read Statement ("It is not in the public interest to force a reader to accept the prejudgment of a label characterizing any expression or its author as subversive or dangerous."), and The Freedom to View Statement (A/V side of the Freedom to Read Statement)

Looking at the Policies, of Florida library system in question, if one looks at the Materials Management PDF, you will find:

Orange County Library System Materials Management Policy wrote:
The Library recognizes that while anyone is free to reject any material of which he does not approve, he cannot exercise this right of censorship to restrict the freedom of others to read, view, or listen.

The Orange County Library System endorses the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read Statement and all other statements regarding intellectual freedom as adopted and published by the American Library Association. The Library recognizes that some library materials are controversial and that an item may offend some customers. Selections will not be made on the basis of any anticipated approval or disapproval. Selection of materials by the Library does not mean endorsement of the contents or the views expressed in those materials. Library materials will not be sequestered except for the purpose of protecting them from damage or theft. Obscene materials are not purchased. The latest court proceedings and definitions will be used to determine appropriateness.

Assuming they followed policy, as they should have, the Peach Girl volume was probably evaluated to satiate the interests of the parent, and then returned to the shelf. Otherwise, they would be censoring, which clearly goes against their policy.

If you have time, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Age Requirements PDF. Sucks to be an adult that reads graphic novels, assuming that Club Central (their teen area) contains any print materials. The policy seems to suggest it's mainly technology (computers and A/V), but if it's not, it's rather bizarre. I'm guessing they either have had some problems with creepy adults in the youth areas, or else parents decided it would be creepy if there were adults in the kids area, so they did this. Hmm...a little questionable, but as long as all the resources are available to all patrons in some way, shape, or form, it is acceptable.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I was slightly irritated because the article definitely mislead the 6. I think.

*sighs.*

>.>; blah...it's nothing worse than what Americans watch on TV anymore.

Getting back to DN...I'm sure some parent is going to complain after they see that image of Ryuk, and say the series is Demonic. >.>;

Heh, Can't wait to see that one. *rolls eyes.*
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

TL;DR

Ah, thanks.
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
TexasAnimeFan wrote:
Teachers actually encouraging students to read manga. Sounds like a nice change from the ordinary.

It makes perfect sense though. They're subliminally telling their kids to use notebooks instead of semi-automatics or what have you next time they go on a rampage at school. Wink
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Geez am I the only one here that finds this just a little ridiculous? Whatever Literary merits Death Note may have it's still a comic. There are so many better things that kids could be reading; it might be a good thing on the fact that it'll draw kids into reading something, but I'd hardly call it "outstanding literature." I'm not out to bash Deathnote (it's been a personal favorite ever since I saw the one shot) but it's still just a comic no matter how long or involved some of the dialogue might be compared to other works out there.
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Geez am I the only one here that finds this just a little ridiculous? Whatever Literary merits Death Note may have it's still a comic. There are so many better things that kids could be reading; it might be a good thing on the fact that it'll draw kids into reading something, but I'd hardly call it "outstanding literature." I'm not out to bash Deathnote (it's been a personal favorite ever since I saw the one shot) but it's still just a comic no matter how long or involved some of the dialogue might be compared to other works out there.

Hmm. Same arguments for Harry Potter. It's good but there are better works out there. But...

Quote:
The Washington State Young Adult Review Group (WSYARG), an organization composed of librarians and other professionals who work to promote books and other materials appropriate for teenagers, has nominated the first volume of Death Note for its 2008 Evergreen Young Adult Book Award. The Evergreen Young Adult Book Award seeks to give teenage readers a voice in highlighting outstanding literature aimed at their age group. Any Washington student attending grades 7 to 12 can vote on the final award winner. Ballots are available at various school and local libraries, and will also be placed on the WSYARG website.

Since kids from grades 7 - 12 will be doing the voting, it'd still be just a matter of popularity. The librarians probably just wanted to shove in something that's not too obscure yet not too puerile or explicit either.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
G. Zeus wrote:
Since kids from grades 7 - 12 will be doing the voting, it'd still be just a matter of popularity. The librarians probably just wanted to shove in something that's not too obscure yet not too puerile or explicit either.

Doubtful. It was probably chosen because it was felt it fit the bill. There probably wasn't any "shoving in" for DN. While I disagree with said libraries that it was worthy of any reward, it was likely selected due to popularity with teens in the state, as well as its listing on the YALSA website, and detected literary merit from young adult librarians in the state. When it comes to awards and the like, thought is given in nominations. Such lists are often used for collection development by libraries in a range of states in order to keep their collections up-to-date, relevant, and accessible to the targeted patrons for a given area of the library (ie Young Adult)
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

And so what if it IS a comic?

Just because it doesn't use "big words" doesn't mean it can't be outstanding literature. Kids books are nominated for awards, may have 5 pages and it talks about randomness that doesn't make sense.

Argument is slightly invalid. And anyone could be reading anything. I never was a fan of Harry Potter, but I liked Redwall better.

*shrugs.* a book is a book, illustrated or otherwise.
Celes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Wow...JUST a comic? So, what, a comic is a lesser form of art than say, a book or a television show? Really?

I guess it is a lot easier to write and illustrate a comprehensive story like Death Note in a limited amount of pictures and word space Rolling Eyes You should read some of McCloud's texts about comics sometimes. It might change your mind about that Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2