• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilty Crown (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myrddin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Myrddin wrote:
Last week I saw episode 22, although it really is like Code Geass and song in the beginning has a lot in common with Death Note, it is a very interesting and also very epic story, but stil I think Code Geass is better

Shocked Don't even try to compare this anime to Code Geass or I'll punch you. Code Geass is MUCH better.

What I meant is that it has a little bit the same epicness as Code Geass (because it's made by the writer of Code Geass).
Of course Code Geass is a million times better, it has 'Zero, more battles, big weapons, epic strategic attacks and one of the best story's.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
after the first couple eps, this anime is nothing like Code Geass. why people compare it to Code Geass?
Myrddin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
after the first couple eps, this anime is nothing like Code Geass. why people compare it to Code Geass?

Because it's made by Code Geass's writer
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Myrddin wrote:

More or less, but let's look at the details for a moment.

Code Geass

Main writer: Ichiro Okouchi (wrote 43 out of 50 episodes)
Assistant writer: Hiroyuki Yoshino (wrote 3 out of 50 episodes)

Guilty Crown

Main writer: Hiroyuki Yoshino (wrote 13 out of 22 episodes)
Assistant writer: Ichiro Okouchi (wrote 6 out of 22 episodes)

The two shows are actually quite different, in practice, but several obvious parallels and references allow the audience to make such comparisons. Most of them happened early, yes, but a few apparently showed up later. Then again, I didn't want to stick around for most of the second half and only know about later events based on second-hand information.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Myrddin wrote:

More or less, but let's look at the details for a moment.

Code Geass

Main writer: Ichiro Okouchi (wrote 43 out of 50 episodes)
Assistant writer: Hiroyuki Yoshino (wrote 3 out of 50 episodes)

Guilty Crown

Main writer: Hiroyuki Yoshino (wrote 13 out of 22 episodes)
Assistant writer: Ichiro Okouchi (wrote 6 out of 22 episodes)

The two shows are actually quite different, in practice, but several obvious parallels and references allow the audience to make such comparisons. Most of them happened early, yes, but a few apparently showed up later. Then again, I didn't want to stick around for most of the second half and only know about later events based on second-hand information.

I think the bigger question is: "How did they create a masterpiece like Code Geass and then fail so hard on Guilty Crown?"
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the show was as good as Code Geass but I wouldn't say they failed miserably either.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:

I think the bigger question is: "How did they create a masterpiece like Code Geass and then fail so hard on Guilty Crown?"

Well, I guess I'll have to elaborate on my previous implications in order to answer that.

For one thing, it's probably a matter of their respective roles. I believe Hiroyuki Yoshino -who was the main writer here, not in the previous show- isn't as good of a writer as Ichiro Okouchi. Neither of them is that great, in all fairness, but Okouchi does tend to have a comparatively better track record in my experience.

For another, we should keep in mind that the directors and production studios were completely different. Goro Taniguchi directed Code Geass for Sunrise and Tetsuro Araki directed Guilty Crown for Production IG. For better or for worse, the writers aren't the only pieces of the puzzle under consideration.

And finally...I do like Code Geass myself and there's little doubt that it was better than Guilty Crown, but neither show is a masterpiece. Of course, this isn't going to be particularly required in order to appreciate any form of fictional entertainment...and yet, I still came into this series expecting something better than the absolute boredom and mediocrity of Shu and Inori. I really couldn't care less about the twists when the characters weren't making me feel anything.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
With all this CG vs GC debate you guys are missing the most obvious and by far the most important part that makes these two shows completely different. In short Code Geass was Goro Taniguchi's baby. His original vision was adapted in first season of CG and he had to make the best in second season after being badly screwed over with timeslot change. The screenwriters, as I see it, were there to fill the gaps and work out fine details but the beast was not their creation. In Guilty Crown we have some of the staff that worked on both CG and Death Note but again, it wasn't their original story. They polished it, fine tuned, made sure it turned out 'as planned' but, for the last time, they didn't write the damn thing from scratch.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
and yet, I still came into this series expecting something better than the absolute boredom and mediocrity of Shu and Inori. I really couldn't care less about the twists when the characters weren't making me feel anything.

I've come to realize that series that I watch the pilot for, I end up expecting more out of them. I don't know if it's the result of a proper PV or if it's just due to the wait.

Every anime that I've watched the PV for in awhile has fallen short of my expectations, except for [C].
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
In short Code Geass was Goro Taniguchi's baby. His original vision was adapted in first season of CG and he had to make the best in second season after being badly screwed over with timeslot change. The screenwriters, as I see it, were there to fill the gaps and work out fine details but the beast was not their creation.

This isn't actually a bad point...though you're missing one key detail: both Okouchi and Taniguchi (but not Yoshino) were the co-creators of the show. Look up any of the official credits for Code Geass, in either language, and you'll always find both of them listed under "original creator" or "original story" and other equivalent categories.

The only variation has been for the upcoming Akito the Exiled project, which adds "Sunrise" to the same category but still keeps listing Okouchi and Taniguchi...not unlike how, say, even Yoshiyuki Tomino gets the original creative credit for every single Mobile Suit Gundam title along with the fictional "Hajime Yatate" entity (which is a pseudonym for Sunrise), regardless of his current lack of involvement.

I don't think Guilty Crown has anything similar in its credits, which does suggest that in this case creative attribution was much more diluted or simply not intended to be particularly specified or recognized. Under those circumstances, I suppose the rest of your argument does tend to apply, at least to a greater or lesser extent, but perhaps we will never know for sure.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
either way, i think GC is a good anime and i don't think it's as close to CG as most people claimed in this forum.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Because it's almost as bad as Code Geass R2 was.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Almost? I'd wish that were true. Laughing

If anything, Guilty Crown retroactively makes me more forgiving of R2's many flaws.
blksylv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
it's kinda downhill from there lol
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MusingVash wrote:
Also: Is this second season rumor really trustworthy? I believe there wont be a follow up, I mean they blew the story so hard, that there is nothing to follow up with ... !?

Well, I guess they could write something illogical and continue the downhill path... But seriously.

I also read about the guilty crown second season at several places but I think they are saying it based on the interview with the creators where they talk about the risk of running an original show in two seasons (more than 13 episodes) instead of saying that they are doing second season. I think it's a misconception among fans.

Interview's link (3rd answer) >>> animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2011-11-28/interview-koji-yamamoto-ryo-ohyama-and-george-wada-on-guilty-crown
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20