• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Mad Bull 34

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
ok so i watched episode 1, this is the anime that i love and miss, the whole grungy late 80's early 90's anime. i miss in today's anime that a bullet has the power of a stick of dynamite, i miss the over the top nudity, cuss words, and gore.

its good, you can tell they are makeing fun of cop shows. will watch the other 3 episodes, i'm going to try to find them on VHS
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the "New York City" presented in Mad Bull almost makes Detroit seem safe.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
n00dle wrote:
Flame bait statements.

darn those east coast liberals and their tall buildings and places to go
Oh, Zac, why must you assume the poster is a conservative? Also, why bother responding so a post clearly lacking in value as anything besides flame bait?

From a guy just two generations removed from uneducated farmers, who lives in rural Georgia, and is very much a conservative, I'd like to say the only problem with New Yorkers is their tolerance for the insanely high costs of living in New York. My bedroom is larger than some of the million dollar apartments up there.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the opening scenes of Mad Bull, we see armed robbers wearing short-shorts, Jason masks and rollerskates bursting out of a grocery store, taking a woman hostage, then taking a bullet in the head, which promptly explodes and blows brains all over the hostage. She goes into shock, and a rookie cop goes to make sure she's all right.

"She'll thaw out if you stick a finger in her ass," suggests his partner.

I think it deserves mentioning that Mad Bull got top scores and Rio Yanez called it "the king of MANime" in a feature of the same name in the June 2000 issue of Animerica.

Thats a pretty damn good feature, when a reader remembers it almost 8 years later. RIP Animerica. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, I can't help looking at monsterously large buildings that eclipse the sky when I'm in a city that's four to five times bigger than the biggest one around where I live. You should be glad that there are people who come from all around the world to admire the place you live in.

I'm perfectly cool with tourists visiting and checking out the buildings. All I ask is that they step to the side and do it. Stopping dead center in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk/photo-op is just...

This review brings up a good question, how many titles are there that demonstrate detailed research on foreign locales?

I remember articles about the Bones team traveling to Morocco for the CowBe film. Then, there's the Full Metal Panic: TSR team traveling to Hong Kong.

Of course, there was the brief shots of Times Square, Canal Street/Chinatown and the (then) World Trade Center from the Read or Die OVA.

I remember that some impressive research was done for one of the Pokemon movies (the one with Latias and Latios). Although the city that was depicted was fictional, it had a remarkable similarity to Venice. In the special features, there was a mini documentary (if I remember correctly) on how the key staff travelled to Venice pre-production, noting the architecture and the ambience.

So yes, even Pokemon attempted to do some quality research. It feels strange to say that, but it does appear to be true. At least for one movie out of the entire franchise.
Mr. Anon Y. Mous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Wow, the "New York City" presented in Mad Bull almost makes Detroit seem safe.

No, the "New York City" in Mad Bull makes Philadelphia look like a peaceful city where people get along, and there's no trash on the streets.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

darn those east coast liberals and their tall buildings and places to go
Oh, Zac, why must you assume the poster is a conservative? Also, why bother responding so a post clearly lacking in value as anything besides flame bait?

From a guy just two generations removed from uneducated farmers, who lives in rural Georgia, and is very much a conservative, I'd like to say the only problem with New Yorkers is their tolerance for the insanely high costs of living in New York. My bedroom is larger than some of the million dollar apartments up there.[/quote]

Oh come on, have a sense of humor Richard. You know I wasn't attacking conservatives, but "RARGH I HATE THEM STUCK UP NEW YORKERS, THINKIN THEY'RE BETTER'N ME!" is an extremely common meme among conservatives, especially on right-wing attack radio. It was just a joke. Yeesh.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
You may not have seen it in the actual series...that part was featured prominently in at least one of the long-running, multi-series trailers Manga used to put on all of their VHS tapes. It may even have been in the one set to KMFDM that was on the GitS VHS, but I'm not quite sure.

Nah, I actually did watch the series and remember the sequence of him yelling in pain as the other guy was ripping off grenades which were apparently tied to his hair. Ouch! Maybe it's the trailers that just kept it fresh in my mind.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
I think it deserves mentioning that Mad Bull got top scores and Rio Yanez called it "the king of MANime" in a feature of the same name in the June 2000 issue of Animerica.

Thats a pretty damn good feature, when a reader remembers it almost 8 years later. RIP Animerica. Laughing

Oh man, I remember that too. It was the first issue of Animerica I picked up, and I still keep it around. I was still quite new to the whole aneemay thing at the time, and boy, did that article expand my horizons. I miss that magazine and its glory days sometimes.

p.s. buy the masterpiece that is Mad Bull and treat your copy with the same care that you would your grandma's ashes
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget Noir, the crew for that anime also visited every part of other continents (mostly Europe) to make the locale authentic.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
I have taken great offense to this article, Mr. Sevakis. It seems quite obvious to me that you were not able to comprehend the deeper meanings and social commentaries presented in Mad Bull 34, which, in my mind, represents some of the most poignant anime ever created.

Mad Bull 34 is not misogynistic garbage but rather a startling look at the realities of what American culture has become and the implications that this culture has on the world around it.

With Eddie we view Mad Bull from the perspective of an outsider, which represents Japan's feelings on American culture in its present state, one which glorifies sex and violence to an extreme degree.

I really think you should re-evaluate this series and try to look beyond the exterior and you will see the true journey of a man through a harsh world which is presented in this work of art.

I would be happy to email you some transcripts of the many discussions we've had here at the Mad Bull 34 fan club, as it will hopefully assist you in finding meaning in this series that you have so obviously missed while "reviewing" what you refer to as garbage.

The Mad Bull 34 fan club will b expecting a formal apology for this great offense in the next Buried Treasure column. Thank you for your time.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Another correction:

Perhaps Manga Entertainment is the source of the mistake, but "Daizaburo" is a much more likely Japanese personal name than either "Diazaburo" or "Diazaburro".
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
I have taken great offense to this article, Mr. Sevakis. It seems quite obvious to me that you were not able to comprehend the deeper meanings and social commentaries presented in Mad Bull 34, which, in my mind, represents some of the most poignant anime ever created.

Mad Bull 34 is not misogynistic garbage but rather a startling look at the realities of what American culture has become and the implications that this culture has on the world around it.

With Eddie we view Mad Bull from the perspective of an outsider, which represents Japan's feelings on American culture in its present state, one which glorifies sex and violence to an extreme degree.

I really think you should re-evaluate this series and try to look beyond the exterior and you will see the true journey of a man through a harsh world which is presented in this work of art.

I would be happy to email you some transcripts of the many discussions we've had here at the Mad Bull 34 fan club, as it will hopefully assist you in finding meaning in this series that you have so obviously missed while "reviewing" what you refer to as garbage.

The Mad Bull 34 fan club will b expecting a formal apology for this great offense in the next Buried Treasure column. Thank you for your time.

i actually liked the series, the ending was a sad but great ending to a dark/gritty cop noir story.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, I can't help looking at monsterously large buildings that eclipse the sky when I'm in a city that's four to five times bigger than the biggest one around where I live. You should be glad that there are people who come from all around the world to admire the place you live in.

I'm perfectly cool with tourists visiting and checking out the buildings. All I ask is that they step to the side and do it. Stopping dead center in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk/photo-op is just...

Seconded. As person born and raised in NYC myself, it's really, really annoyed when a bunch of tourist clog up the sidewalk, especially during rush hour, when they can easily move on the side. It's really annoying when they stop in front of you without warning and you almost slammed into them. That's why I roll my eyes on the stereotype that New Yorkers are rude because most tourists do stuff like this. Most people from the city can be nice if you don't do the faux pas like that one.

I remember Mad Bull 34 from another site, and some people were raving over it. Glad, I passed on it although I'm a sucker for cop shows.

Also, LOL at the Dee joke.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
This is work of FICTION people, so cool off... Rolling Eyes

Mad Bull 34 is a product of its age, just like MD Geist, Genocyber, Megazone 23 or Crying Freeman(another of Mr Koike's works that is so unappreciated) that distills the essense of American entertainmant of the 70's and 80's. Your Dirty Harrys, your Rambos, your "Ahnold" masive killing vehicle of destruction. and loads it into the Mad Bull character, a mean, horrible man with a heart of gold. He takes the dough from his Hos so they can get treated at the clinic, who in governmet cared about treating stds in the late 80's early 90's?

So everybody, specially those without a spine should bow down and worship Koike and Mad Bull, or he might throw his Grenade loaded thong at you. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5