• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashnyaoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
I had a few...issues with everything. This isn't to say that I'm not sorry that the boy died, but no one seems to be asking some questions they may want to consider:

The 'Naruto' problem:
1. Nowhere in the current American series have the 'sand ninja' buried anyone’s head. Gaara's sand coffin starts from the bottom of the body and works its way up-covering the whole body, not just the head.
2. The only part were a person's head was buried is during a confrontation between a leaf ninja (Rock Lee) and a sound ninja (an unimportant character who later DIES) the character who is buried even comments that if his friend hadn't helped him, he would of died, adding a sense of fatality to the act of burying one's head.
3. There are no sand attacks, or any attacks at all, during any of the current series (America, Japanese, Magna) in which just a head is buried, while still attached to the person.

The 'Sand Box issue':
We've all had a sand box at one time or played in one- they're shallow. A foot deep maximum. A 10 year old's head has a diameter of 6in, meaning that at most the boy's head was buried under 6in of lose sand. Why was the boy unable to find the leverage to pull himself out of the sand? In any position (upside down, sideways, on his belly or on his back) he should have had enough leverage to pull himself up from the loose sand. Even if the sand had been wet, he would of been able to pull himself loose.

So my OPINION on what happened is rather morbid but logical: The deceased boy was bullied into having his head buried and was held down so he couldn't get out. When the parents finally noticed something was amiss and asked what was wrong the children blamed it on something they knew their parents would latch onto-anime. Because it's always anime, video games, fantasy or books. (Not late night wrestling, South Park or reality TV.)

As disturbing as it may seem to you, or how 'insensitive', or whatever you people are going to come up with, I seem, put it together yourself and actually think instead of following everyone's 'sympathies'.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
ComaDivine wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I don't dispute the fact that what he did was stupid. Of course it was. The thing is that's what kids do, they do stupid shit. That's part of being a kid, doing stupid shit. That's why parents are supposed to be there to watch them. To make sure they don't do something that could hurt themselves. .

What happened was tragic, but I think its hard to blame the parents for not vigilantly watching the kids in a situation like this. Parents should be able to expect some common sense and maturity from older children. Given a safe environment, kids should be able to fend for themselves for a while.

That is true but like I said earlier how long do you think this took? I mean we're talking about little kids here (not much strength) and it's not like they had a shovel or anything (beyond those plastic toy ones anyways) to dig a hole with. They probably used their hands to dig the sand away for the boy. That had to have taken a while, as would have the burying part. So somewhere in that span all that would have been needed to see something was amiss is for one adult to just look out the window for 5 seconds. Perhaps they did pull this off quicker then I think but if not then someone should have during that time span at least looked outside to check on them.
okitasan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
SABAKU SOUSOU!!

Sorry. Maybe I'm to used to being a Farker.

Anyway, that sucks, it sounds like something I would've done (imitate naruto moves, not bury my head in the sand.)
Tezuka zone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
English law does not specify an age when a child can be left unsupervised. However, parents may be prosecuted for neglect if they leave a child alone “in a manner which is likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health” (Children and Young Persons Act, 1933).

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that no child should be left alone under the age of twelve.

With many younger kids dying in reenactments of wrestling and the like its the adults job to watch their kids, and insure there safety. Said adults failed and the repercussions will live with them forever.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
slashnyaoi wrote:
I had a few...issues with everything. This isn't to say that I'm not sorry that the boy died, but no one seems to be asking some questions they may want to consider:

Well, you had answered my Naruto question, because I was curious, the scenes from the English aired version, I've seen most if not all episodes so far and I don't remember Naruto or any other character burying their heads directly into sand...except for that one scene you spoke of, and I haven't seen that either..

As for the logical way it would happened, does sound harsh...but I cannot really disagree, since anything is possible. ._.;
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
slashnyaoi wrote:

Honestly, it sounds more like you're trying to rationalize an explanation as to why Naruto is innocent and has no involvement.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka zone wrote:
English law does not specify an age when a child can be left unsupervised. However, parents may be prosecuted for neglect if they leave a child alone “in a manner which is likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health” (Children and Young Persons Act, 1933).

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that no child should be left alone under the age of twelve.

With many younger kids dying in reenactments of wrestling and the like its the adults job to watch their kids, and insure there safety. Said adults failed and the repercussions will live with them forever.

I think with this case though, there was no child neglect. There were just some kids playing outside in the yard. Lots of people are saying how the parents are at fault but nobody could have predicted what happened, which takes it out of child neglect in the first place. If the parents didn't care or anything about how their son was suffocated, then that would be child neglect. They've been devestated, so they are not 100% at fault.
gravemynd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
honestly, i agree with two things (the most) that i have heard on this subject.
1: its not very hard to lift your hand out of six inches of sand.
2: what ten year old, or a group of them actualy (actualy how old were the other kids, and how many were there?), doesnt know that putting your head in the sand, and breathing in isnt a good thing?
CSousuke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I just got the news that he died from it. I read it a few days ago saying that he was hospitalized, not dead. Poor kid...
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Umm. Well suffice to say I've seen a lot of jokes about this kid but most of the people who post here are lacking a set so I'm not gonna make anyone cry.

But to think the kid had his head buried in the sand and couldn't pull it out is ridiculous. The other kids held him in there even when he was struggling to get air. The other kids murdered him and are getting away scott free.

Also the people posting here saying "the parents should have taught him the difference between reality and fiction" please get a grip. It's not like the kid actually thought he was a ninja, I cant stand these "parents need to teach their children" comments. The problem with the parents isnt that they didn't teach him something, it's that the kids weren't being supervised while playing in the sandbox. When I was a kid I was always under supervision. I can think of several incidences where something just as stupid would have happened to me if I wasn't being watched.

ie.
- jumping into niagra falls
- accidently drowning my baby sister in the bathtub
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9